Corruption in EMS

RockDoc

Fraud is the norm for all the privates in the chicago land area as well. It's pretty sick

Yep, pretty stupid statement all right. I work for the evil empire in a flagship division and I am proud of it and them. We are an example of unparalleled professionalism and fiscal responsibility that is enforced by the market. Unlike fire departments who are now at the mercy of city councils, and volly squads at the mercy of vollies, we keep doing what we do. I will be the first to admit that a high degree of scrutiny by regulatory bodies and the public are absolutely necessary to keep the profit motive in check; but hey, our country is founded on a system of checks and balances, and when it works it is a beautiful thing.

Transparency in operations would prevent a lot of this BS.

Let me just say what I mean without beating around the bush, this has nothing to do with liberal versus conservative, Democrat versus Republican.

Many--if not most companies in Houston are owned by people that do not have American sounding last names, but names that are distinctly African (Nigerian) or Arabic sounding. One family group may register as many as 5 or more names, but only have one ambulance for all the companies. Company A goes in service with the one ambulance and operates for several years until Medi-Care does an audit on them and finally stops paying their claims. Company A goes out of business on a Friday evening, but on Monday morning Company B goes in service, with the same ambulance, same medics, and same base of illegal patients to transport. Company B has a clean record, gets a new (and higher profile) and operates for several more years until they are also shut down by Medi-Care stopping paying their claims, then Company C begins service, with the same ambulance, medics and patient base. The registered owners of each company leave the country when their company is defunded, but the monies collected from Medi'Care have already been sent overseas. This has been going on for over 15 years that I am personally aware of. Its a never ending cycle.

Its not hard to defraud Medi-Care and make lots of money, but sooner or later you will get caught. I can write a report on anyone and make it Medi-Care payable, just as long as I don't let the truth get in the way of what I am writing. Most medics do not write falsified reports, but reports can be changed when they are turned in to the company office, and when the claim is submitted to Medi-Care it will not contain any information that would make it non-payable.

Not to say that all ambulance services in Houston seek to defraud Medi-Care. I know of several companies who are trying to succeed by being knowingly legal, but it is tough competing against companies that pay out bribes and kickbacks for patients. My brother (who recently passed away) was in a vegetative state, comatose and on dialysis. Before he became that way, he drove himself to dialysis and lived a normal life. I know of one company (now out of business) that offered him $1,500.00 if he would let them come to his house and transport him to dialysis. He refused.

I wish the FBI all the luck in the world in cleaning up the mess in Houston and anywhere else that fraud is this rampant.

• Like 1

Many--if not most companies in Houston are owned by people that do not have American sounding last names, but names that are distinctly African (Nigerian)

So they are the ones who are sending me those million dollar emails!!!!!

Yep, pretty stupid statement all right. I work for the evil empire in a flagship division and I am proud of it and them. We are an example of unparalleled professionalism and fiscal responsibility that is enforced by the market.

The free market enforces good quality patient service? You can't back up that argument. The consumer can not be expected to be educated enough in all matters of emergency medicine to make appropriate healthcare decisions based on quality of service. Private EMS runs on the hot cocoa principle. That is, patients won't really care if your service completely f---ed up and failed to treat a routine malady and resulted in the death of one of their loved ones so long as you say nice things and bring them hot cocoa in the "quiet room". That's why your mantra is "customer service," "customer service, "customer service." Not "Quality healthcare!"

Unlike fire departments who are now at the mercy of city councils, and volly squads at the mercy of vollies, we keep doing what we do. I will be the first to admit that a high degree of scrutiny by regulatory bodies and the public are absolutely necessary to keep the profit motive in check; but hey, our country is founded on a system of checks and balances, and when it works it is a beautiful thing.

When it works is the operative word there. With a substantial lack of oversight in EMS, it relies on local entities that suffer from underfunding, disinterest, and sometimes out and out conflict of interest when it comes to those same checks and balances.

Transparency in operations would prevent a lot of this BS.

That would be "trade secrets" protected by law versus the Freedom of Information Act, now wouldn't it?

Edited by Asysin2leads

The free market enforces good quality patient service? You can't back up that argument. The consumer can not be expected to be educated enough in all matters of emergency medicine to make appropriate healthcare decisions based on quality of service. Private EMS runs on the hot cocoa principle. That is, patients won't really care if your service completely f---ed up and failed to treat a routine malady and resulted in the death of one of their loved ones so long as you say nice things and bring them hot cocoa in the "quiet room". That's why your mantra is "customer service," "customer service, "customer service." Not "Quality healthcare!"

As opposed to say, DC, Detroit, Philly, SoCal, a good portion of Floridia and any other number of places that are public and known for crappy prehospital care? We can cherry pick examples all day long. I've found good medics and excellent patient care in all types of systems. I am sick an effing tired of public service providers acting superior because they happen to work for a public system. The only time I've ever been "encouraged" to doccument creatively was by an FD.

When it works is the operative word there. With a substantial lack of oversight in EMS, it relies on local entities that suffer from underfunding, disinterest, and sometimes out and out conflict of interest when it comes to those same checks and balances.

Municipalities and privates can be equally crappy. Again, see the Rosenbaum case or any other number of DC Fire screwups.

That would be "trade secrets" protected by law versus the Freedom of Information Act, now wouldn't it?

Trade secrets as opposed to the "we suck, what are you gonna do about it" attitude displayed by KCFD post-MAST takeover?

We have to evaluate a system based on it's individual merits. To condem it based solely on ownership is stupid and shortsighted.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.