Does Your Service Report Medical Errors To THE PATIENT ?

flamingemt2011

HURRRRK BLS BEFERR ALS AND THAR WASIS ONE TIME I WAS ONNA JOB AND THE GUY HAD THIS BLEED AND THE MEDIC WANTED TA START THE IV AND I WAS LIKE NOSIREEE YUZ GONNA TURN HIS BLOOD INTA KOOLAID SO I WAS LIKE LOOK AT THAT PARAGOD EMTS SAVE PARAMEDICS YEEEEEEEHAA!!!!

And such.

LMAO!

Man, if could have used that thumbs up button a hundred times i would have :D

If you do not share the mistake, you cannot stop it.

i like your way of thinking here

I asked my management about the revealing of mistakes by medics to patients.

He basically said that it's none of my stinking business because it involves personnel matters and legal matters. Short and sweet and to the point. So I can't answer your question.

I asked my management about the revealing of mistakes by medics to patients.

He basically said that it's none of my stinking business because it involves personnel matters and legal matters. Short and sweet and to the point. So I can't answer your question.

ask him how many mistakes your service had this year.

Why would you ask Ruff to go back and ask the same question again? He did as you asked as did i and the responses were the same.

Do you even read the posts ?

Race

ask him how many mistakes your service had this year.

NO NO NO I'm not going to go ask that same question again. Be serious here and not just try to stir the SHIT pot.

he said it was none of my business and that's that. Like Doc said, did you even read my answer or are you asking me to go ask again since it doesn't support your argument?

I can tell you how many errors I have reported and that's none this year because I do not believe I have made any medical errors this year. But then again that's all in what you consider medical errors.

I've made NO errors this year that have cost a patient his life or could have done so.

So I guess that as far as my care is concerned then my service has had 0 medical errors reported to it.

oh yeah, I was driving from the scene to the hospital and I took a left when I should have turned right and it cost the patient an extra 4 minutes to get to the hospital. I did report that to my supervisor though. In the spirit of reporting all errors that I've made.

Edited by Ruffems

Good point ruff, how do you define medical error, we have an IFT service in the north atlanta area drop a patient off the stretcher, causing a massive head injury (coma now but lived), and then refused to transport because they were BLS, they actually called 911.  

How do you define that ?

Edited by hatelilpeepees
  • Like 1

Good point ruff, how do you define medical error, we have an IFT service in the north atlanta area drop a patient off the stretcher, causing a massive head injury (coma now but lived), and then refused to transport because they were BLS, they actually called 911.

How do you define that ?

Good to see you again HLPP. I have no words to adequately define that scenario. I am speechless.

Do you think the family noticed? :whistle:

Edited by DFIB
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, I've seen investigations in other parts of the country that play out much the same way. Usually its a case of the person going into cardiac arrest and the service calling 911 rather than start CPR.

• 2 weeks later...

If I hit a kid with my car, I call the cops

If I know a kid has been raped, I call the cops

If I know a nursing home patient has been abused, I call the cops

If I know the woman who just came in the ER has been assaulted, I call the cops

If I accidentally shoot my hunting buddy, I call the cops

If you as a medical professional kill a patient with an error, we report it to our supervisors and they bury it like the Penn State staff did with the sexual assault case, and somehow it is all OK.