Does Your Service Report Medical Errors To THE PATIENT ?

flamingemt2011

My service has recorded 13 errors this year, 3 of which were classified as critical, no report to the family or patient, only to the CQI Committee, Medical Director, and Attorney. My Director stated in his 26 year career, he has only reported one error to the family, because during the initial complaint, they disclosed that their home security system recorded the medics the whole time they were there, and there was no way to deny it. Otherwise, errors are only admitted if we are sued, and the facts have to be disclosed.

I swear on my mother's eyes that I will strap my loved one to a tricycle and pedal them to the hospital before using your service. That is horrible, illegal, and unethical. Your service reminds me of a sting operation of shady repairmen. One guy noticed the hidden camera and then went about and did a perfect repair job. Sound familiar? That was someone's dishwasher. And you want us to believe that corporate America is the best way to provide healthcare?

Secondly, as a medical provider you should be ashamed of yourself for working for an organization that has such a blatant disregard for medical ethics.

Have you not ever gotten "backwards" in your thinking on a call or just simply had what I'd like to call a brain cramp. (Different than a brain fart as in nothing came out...).

How many times have you called out "left" when you meant "right"?

I believe what this medic now has is understanding the importance of getting the left/right spot on for this type of patient.

Darn, Doc I was beginnig to get all sentimental and teary eyed. He should have known better.

All EMT's are taught about supine hypotensive syndrome, eclampsia and left side transport. If the guy was a medic he most definitely should have known. I just thought the importance of positioning would more easily be lost on an EMT than a medic. ERDoc wasn’t just teaching and being nice, he was saving his butt on future calls where proper positioning would make a bigger difference..

Doctors have a pretty strong emotional effect on EMTs especially new ones. After a while a lot of EMTs could begin to feel like the Medics' bell boy. A little encouragement from the top of the food chain works wonders.

To address both of yous guys... LOL

I was not meaning to attack any one or any level of certification, and yes i have definitely forgotten more than my share of things through out my career and life in general.

I just do not agree or understand why it would be more understandable that an EMT would forget or make the mistake over a medic. it is after a basic skill. I would expect the medic (especially a new one) to make that mistake over an EMT ( not a new one) due to medics tend to forget the basics (just stating a fact) we tend to get wrapped up in thinking advanced cares when the problem could be easily remedied by a basic maneuver.

Just like the old adage; Paramedics save lives, EMT's save Paramedics... Cheesy but very true. I know i have been saved many times by an alert EMT partner that caught my oversight.

I apologize to both of you if you felt i insulted you. that was not my intention.

Race

Oh no. You didn't just go there.

LOL ... I am not afraid to admit i have been saved several times...

*edit*

I will say that those times are getting fewer and father between ...

Edited by RaceMedic

I apologize to both of you if you felt i insulted you. that was not my intention.

Insulted? Absolutely not. I was just trying to see the other side of the story or, better yet, ensure the other side was seen.

I for one knows that none of us are perfect.

LOL ... I am not afraid to admit i have been saved several times...

Me too...

I will say that those times are getting fewer and father between ...

And, it's usually followed by, "Well, you're the paramedic..."

Edited by tcripp

Race

Are you kidding? No way Jose. Everyone can forget stuff. I just know that if that particular point isn't highlighted during EMT training it would be easy to overlook. A medic would have had multiple opportunities to go over pregnancy and it's complications. My assumption would be that an EMT would be more likely to forget, but hey,

Thanks for the "EMTs save medics" endorsement. We both know that medics are the bomb in the ambulance. We just carry your bags.

I took a lady to the ER today with compensated hypovolemic shock from a upper GI bleed. Hematemesis that produced between 600ml - 800ml in one hurl. The ER doc made me feel like a rock star! Thanks to all the doctors that take the time to give a pat on the back to the little people.

Thanks for the "EMTs save medics" endorsement. We both know that medics are the bomb in the ambulance. We just carry your bags.

Brother i'll tell you this, if you ever see an EMT carrying my bag in to a scene they have either pissed me off or i do not trust them... or both.

Race

• Like 1

Brother i'll tell you this, if you ever see an EMT carrying my bag in to a scene they have either pissed me off or i do not trust them... or both.

Race

I wanna be your personal EMT! But you get my general idea, we EMT are the low echelon folks.

I wanna be your personal EMT! But you get my general idea, we EMT are the low echelon folks.

Yea i hear what your sayin .... But that does not mean that all of the rest of us have to make it any worse than it is

Race

• Like 1

HURRRRK BLS BEFERR ALS AND THAR WASIS ONE TIME I WAS ONNA JOB AND THE GUY HAD THIS BLEED AND THE MEDIC WANTED TA START THE IV AND I WAS LIKE NOSIREEE YUZ GONNA TURN HIS BLOOD INTA KOOLAID SO I WAS LIKE LOOK AT THAT PARAGOD EMTS SAVE PARAMEDICS YEEEEEEEHAA!!!!

And such.

• Like 1