Who is your choice for our next President ?

romneyfor2012

It seems Herman Cain just ended his chances by announcing that he would support a constitutional amendment to ban abortion; just lost all the women and independants. Looks like 4 more years of Obama, because you know when it gets closer to election time, Perry's goons will start attacking Romney's Mormon religion.

Really, ALL women and independents.

I'm an independent and I support a abortion ban with limits. I don't think it needs to be a constitutional amendment though.

The fact that Cain would support an amendment doesn't mean it will ever make it to his desk. Abortion is one of the most polarizing topics since the civil war. The odds of a two thirds ratification are slim to none.

amazing, it is always men who want to control the uterus

Well when a woman gets to be president that argument will be moot won't it? Until the country elects a woman as president you can drop that card but until then......

Referring to the abortion issue- not to mention that as we noted, such a ban would never happen, I honestly don't think the social issues are going to be a big deal this time around. The economy is FUBAR'ed and that is job one for any POTUS- especially since the current one doesn't have a clue what to do. I want a leader who can solve problems, not blame everyone else for his inability to fix anything. That said, at this point, I do not want Romney. Why? Because he is the one the old guard GOP wants, which means more of the same. Paul, Perry- no way.

It's still early, and while I do have some reservations about Cain, his lack of foreign policy experience is not one of them. How much foreign policy experience does any candidate have unless they are ambassadors or worked in that type of arena? A good leader does not know everything, but they do know how to surround themselves with people who do have the required knowledge and skill set. A good leader has a vision, and their job is to convince others to believe in that vision. They may not know all the details initially, but they do have a general idea of how they want to achieve their goals. Notice that after Cain put out his 9-9-9 plan and it was well received by the public, several candidates are now also pushing similar flat tax ideas. It didn't work for Steve Forbes when he tried it, but things are different now. I would not expect Cain's plan is fully vetted yet, and obviously it would need to be tweaked, but I think the country may be ready for a version of this now- or at least offer a choice. I believe Hong Kong actually offers a 16% flat rate if you so choose, or you can opt for the traditional, more complicated tax rates.

I recently read a book about Cain- "I Am Herman Cain"- because I was interested in the guy and what makes him tick. Most of the book is how he got to where he is now, but it does list a few of his ideas. So far he is my choice- he has a history of solving problems and turning around failing companies. That is EXACTLY what we need in this country right now and I LIKE the fact that he is not a career politician.

Let's put it this way-I want ANYONE but Obama in 2012. Our country cannot afford 4 more years of this guy.

The economy is FUBAR'ed and that is job one for any POTUS- especially since the current one doesn't have a clue what to do.

Economists with PhDs and years of experience don't have a clue at this point. To expect an elected offical from either side to have a clue is asking for the moon. We have a unique situation in the economy that we have never seen before and no one knows what the hell to do. No one can even agree on whether the economy is FUBARd or not. Thrown on all of the uncertainty in Europe and it just makes a confusing picture even more confusing.

I'm not a big fan Cain's plan as of now. I don't think it has been evaluated enough. I think we do need to change the tax system. Everyone should be paying something. I think it's crazy that people are actually making money off of taxes with all of the credits. You either pay something or nothing, but you shouldn't be making more money. I think his plan will benefit those that make more. As a member of the 1%, I'm okay saying that those who make more should pay a bit more, but everyone should pay some. Warren Buffet should not be paying a lower percentage that his secretary. I also don't like the fact that he wants to eliminate capital gains taxes. You shouldn't be able to make free money by investing, it should be treated as regular income. Yes, I am a proud owner of stocks. I also don't think we should be encouraging laziness. We should help those that need it, the handicapped, those who are injured or people in the current situation where they job market is dismal. We shouldn't be handing out money to perfectly able people and we shouldn't be rewarding them for having more kids.

I am becoming more of a fan of a fair tax. No one is being penalized for being successful, so the incentive is still there. You penalize people for consupmtion. Everyone pays the same rate but those who have more and spend more, pay more.

Now you opened up a can of worms lol:  

1.  Cain's plan is just what we need.  What most people don't understand about taxes are two things:

a)  Corporations do not pay taxes.  All of thier costs, including taxes, are built into the price of their products.  You can raise taxes on corporations all you want, they will in turn raise the price of their goods and services, and you will pay the tax for them through your purchases.

2. There are embedded taxes in everything you buy, as Herman explained with the loaf of bread analogy.  The farmer buys the seed and fertilizer and pays a tax to grow the wheat.  He harvests the wheat and sells it to the flour company and pays a tax, the flour company sells flour to the bread maker and pays a tax, the bread maker sells the loaf of bread to the grocery store and pays a tax, the grocer sells the bread to you and you both pay a tax.  All along the way, each of those taxes were added into the cost of bread.

Edited by flamingemt2011