Who is your choice for our next President ?

romneyfor2012

Ron Paul ? Seriously ? Joking Right ?

Sure you didn't mean Ru Paul? :)

Edited to insert smiley face.

Edited by DFIB

Economists with PhDs and years of experience don't have a clue at this point. To expect an elected offical from either side to have a clue is asking for the moon. We have a unique situation in the economy that we have never seen before and no one knows what the hell to do. No one can even agree on whether the economy is FUBARd or not. Thrown on all of the uncertainty in Europe and it just makes a confusing picture even more confusing.

I'm not a big fan Cain's plan as of now. I don't think it has been evaluated enough. I think we do need to change the tax system. Everyone should be paying something. I think it's crazy that people are actually making money off of taxes with all of the credits. You either pay something or nothing, but you shouldn't be making more money. I think his plan will benefit those that make more. As a member of the 1%, I'm okay saying that those who make more should pay a bit more, but everyone should pay some. Warren Buffet should not be paying a lower percentage that his secretary. I also don't like the fact that he wants to eliminate capital gains taxes. You shouldn't be able to make free money by investing, it should be treated as regular income. Yes, I am a proud owner of stocks. I also don't think we should be encouraging laziness. We should help those that need it, the handicapped, those who are injured or people in the current situation where they job market is dismal. We shouldn't be handing out money to perfectly able people and we shouldn't be rewarding them for having more kids.

I am becoming more of a fan of a fair tax. No one is being penalized for being successful, so the incentive is still there. You penalize people for consupmtion. Everyone pays the same rate but those who have more and spend more, pay more.

Read "Confidence Men", Doc. It shows that just like anyone else, PhD's and world class economists can be bought and paid for, or even biased simply based on their political ideology. Among other things, the book gives some real insight into why these problems are so intractable, especially in the context of our current state of affairs. Numbers are a funny thing- depending on how you treat them, you can take the same set of data and prove 2 polar opposite ideas with them.

I agree Cain's idea needs some tweaking, but I honestly think we need a MAJOR overhaul of the tax system, but nobody thus far has had the balls to go through with it. Look at campaign finance reform. We nibble around the edges, pass a few ineffectual laws, and nothing really changes.Neither side wants to lose their gravy train.

Read "Confidence Men", Doc. It shows that just like anyone else, PhD's and world class economists can be bought and paid for, or even biased simply based on their political ideology. Among other things, the book gives some real insight into why these problems are so intractable, especially in the context of our current state of affairs. Numbers are a funny thing- depending on how you treat them, you can take the same set of data and prove 2 polar opposite ideas with them.

I agree Cain's idea needs some tweaking, but I honestly think we need a MAJOR overhaul of the tax system, but nobody thus far has had the balls to go through with it. Look at campaign finance reform. We nibble around the edges, pass a few ineffectual laws, and nothing really changes.Neither side wants to lose their gravy train.

I realize that you can never eliminate all bias, but like I said I think we are in a very unique environment right now and no one from either side really knows what to do. We have simultaneous bubbles (housing/mortgage, financial), overseas issues that have world wide effects, student loan/higher education issues, etc. We are pretty much arguing the same thing, anyone can spin numbers any way they want, at least that's what 23% of the GOP financial analysts and 34.2% of the Democratic analysts at my job say.

It is an insult that a company such as GE didn't pay anything in taxes. This just shows how desperate we are for a need in the tax laws. I don't think anyone has really pushed for it because it have never been such a decisive issue. Look at what happened to Steve Forbes and Ross Perot. Maybe this has finally come to a head and we can do something about it.

• Like 1

As I Canadian I always follow the American Election process with a great deal of interest. I find it fascinating how the US is in full on election mode a year before the date. Our elections are like 3-4 months long.

That said, the election is still a year away and Ronmey's fortunes could rise or fall significantly in that time, we could even see some new republican sweethearts who arn't even on the radar yet.

Looks like Herman Cain is in a little trouble for sexual harassment. Did he really think they would not find that info ? Now the question is, who is sabotaging him, Republicans or Democrats ? I vote Republicans, because democrats would have held on to it until the week before the election.

Looks like Herman Cain is in a little trouble for sexual harassment. Did he really think they would not find that info ? Now the question is, who is sabotaging him, Republicans or Democrats ? I vote Republicans, because democrats would have held on to it until the week before the election.

I was on Google reading the news and the firs story was "Cain denies sexually harassment" I went on two hours later the first story was " Cain admits to settlement in harassment case". lol

I was on Google reading the news and the firs story was "Cain denies sexually harassment" I went on two hours later the first story was " Cain admits to settlement in harassment case". lol

oops!

Sexual harassment is one of the most destructive accusations. They don't even have to be true; The guy is still screwed and will live with the stigma his entire life.

Not saying he did or didn't. It's just not that clear cut.

The only way for a man to never be at risk is to never be alone with a female he is not related to, ever. Except for the Deep South of course. :whistle:

Edited by DFIB

The plot thickens:

One of Herman Cain’s accusers wants to tell her side of the story

http://news.yahoo.co...-130852512.html

Yes, thick as thieves. Isn’t it odd that the lady that wants to come forward now works for the “federal government”? Funny how that worked out, huh. It might go a long way to answering HLPPs question about who is responsible for the leak.

Odd she is wary of “public scrutiny” but is willing to go on TV or at least to court to “refute him”.

He probably did it but I still smell a rat.