RN's in EMS

Matt87

Of course, a nurse clearly would have made a significant difference with Dia. She would have seen her son Marry I reckon, if only a nurse had taken care of her...

And had it been a medic she more than likely could have driven herself home...

Just sayin'...

Dwayne

HAHAHAHAHA.... hell and if had been a Medic/RN she could have packed the wreck on her back and jogged home with it dropping it off at the body shop along the way.

Just sayin,

Race

Of course, a nurse clearly would have made a significant difference with Dia. She would have seen her son Marry I reckon, if only a nurse had taken care of her...

Excuse me, but the statements I take most from nurse's professional literature is that nurses can and do heal with their magical angel hands. So watch yourself, mister.

Excuse me, but the statements I take most from nurse's professional literature is that nurses can and do heal with their magical angel hands. So watch yourself, mister.

I think it is magical Nightingale light.

Yeah, what RM said.

The good news? Should nurses ever decide to invade prehospital EMS, the educational standars will increase, the money will increase, and more than likely professional standards will uniformly raise as well.

The bad news? There won't be any medics involved....Oh wait...Maybe that's also the good news?

(Can anyone tell that I've just had my latest run in with one of my 'remote medic professional' bretheren? Fuckhead. Him, "We remote medics have to stick together! This is bullshit!" Me, "You are complaining about getting jammed up for turning an early stage tonsilitis into an emergency medivac by treating it soley with Tylenol for 5 days..."We" belongs nowhere in your statement man." It seems like, if I am to honor, "do no harm" that choking some people to death should be mandatory to safeguard future patients from them. At the very least it should fit under triage somehow...Just sayin'...)

I don't see it happening, but if it should perhaps the nursing unions have the clout and money to fight the fire unions...but again, as RM said...why would they want to?

Dwayne

Dwayne,

I agree! Frankly I don't think the nursing world want anything to do with the prehospital world and I'll be surprised if that ever changes. But as you said, there is always the chance that they will and money will increase. But I think with the recent push for a higher standard of training for medics it will further decrease the chances that we will have the nursing profession invade the prehospital world, and might even promote the other medical professions to have a little respect for us.

By the way, I'm glad that I am not the only one that runs into those same kind of bullshit with other remote duty medics....I've seen some stuff that would just curl your toes. LOL If you find a way for us to honor the "do no harm" thing by choking some people to death in an effort to safeguard future patients and potentially even future medics who might learn their bad ways let me know. I'm on board. We should swap stories sometime....I've got some impressive ones, as I'm sure you do.

Sarah

Dwayne,

I agree! Frankly I don't think the nursing world want anything to do with the prehospital world and I'll be surprised if that ever changes. But as you said, there is always the chance that they will and money will increase. But I think with the recent push for a higher standard of training for medics it will further decrease the chances that we will have the nursing profession invade the prehospital world, and might even promote the other medical professions to have a little respect for us.

By the way, I'm glad that I am not the only one that runs into those same kind of bullshit with other remote duty medics....I've seen some stuff that would just curl your toes. LOL If you find a way for us to honor the "do no harm" thing by choking some people to death in an effort to safeguard future patients and potentially even future medics who might learn their bad ways let me know. I'm on board. We should swap stories sometime....I've got some impressive ones, as I'm sure you do.

Sarah

Nurses are becoming much more interested in the pre-hospital environment. States are now developing pre-hospital nursing credentials for nurses who practice in the "field." The concept of the pre-hospital registered nurse (PHRN) is becoming much more popular. Also, many nurses who do this are not going through paramedic school to obtain these credentials. The nursing role in critical care ground transport has become so important, the Emergency Nurses Association developed a specialty certification for these nurses called certified transport registered nurse (CTRN).

Unfortunately, while this is only a locally observed trend, prehospital RNs aren't being paid what they're worth. They'll make what medics are making despite their education. I'm not sure why this is the case, though. I imagine it's a combination of reimbursement rates and just a failure to demand compensation in line with their education.

This probably isn't the case everywhere. But it's common practice in this area.

ETA: I don't know how this affects compensation for medics or increasing educational standards. But if RNs are willing to accept such crappy wages they're not doing themselves any favors.

Edited by paramedicmike

Make no mistake, I do see where RN's have their place in pre-hospital (flight, critical care, Critical care neonatal/pediatric type stuff) and have worked with RN's in the pre-hospital environment. However, If it is being suggested that paramedics will just be phased out and RN's will completely take over the pre-hospital world, I just don't see it happening. Just to start with I doubt most will be willing to take the decrease in pay, and I doubt that most services would be willing to meet or exceed their compensation expectations. I see other possible issues as well but I will not go into those.

But as always that is just my take on it.....

why is is so improtant to have an RN on flight?

here we have a doctor and paramedic or maybe just 2 paras...afterall the field is the area that is foreign to most RNs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.