Preparing to go to paramedic school - what to read?

darrenb11

Hello All,

I will be starting paramedic school in January. In an attempt to prepare I would like some advice on what books, information that I should be reading and studying prior to starting school. I thought about pharma, A&P etc but some advice from current/future medics would be helpful.

Many thanks.

Basic Chemistry

Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews Biochemistry

Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews Microbiology

Guyton's Textbook of Medical Physiology

Cecil's Textbook of Medicine

Harrison's Internal Medicine

Rosen's Emergency Medicine

William's Obstetrics

Clinically Orientated Anatomy

Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment

Lippincott's Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine

Dubin's Rapid Interpretation of ECGs

Lippincott's 12 lead ECG interpretation

Bate's Guide to Physical Examination

Pharmacotherapy: A pathophysiological approach

I asked the same question many many moons ago before I started school. I will give you the best piece of advice I never used. DO NOTHING but relax. Paramedic school when it starts will consume your life for roughly two years so why start early? I wish I would have listened but I didn't of course because I am a nerd!!!

So look at the awesome list that Kiwimedic threw up there and have fun!

• Like 2

You didn't give us much info on your background. With such limited information it's tough to offer any real advice for you because we don't know where you're starting. That being said, if you don't have much of a college background then brushing up on all of your basic science courses is of the utmost importance. Bio, chem, micro will all play into your role as a paramedic. History, math, psych, writing/English/composition classes will be vitally important as well. Of course, if you don't have much of a college background I suggest taking these classes, and more, before attempting paramedic school.

If you do have a college background and a solid foundation in the courses I mentioned (and more) then I don't think Gulfmedic's advice is that far off. Even if you think you know what you're getting into with regards to paramedic school, you don't have any idea of what it's really like until you're in it. Take the time you have now and enjoy it. Because in just a few short months you won't have the time to do much of anything.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Basic Chemistry

Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews Biochemistry

Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews Microbiology

Guyton's Textbook of Medical Physiology

Cecil's Textbook of Medicine

Harrison's Internal Medicine

Rosen's Emergency Medicine

William's Obstetrics

Clinically Orientated Anatomy

Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment

Lippincott's Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine

Dubin's Rapid Interpretation of ECGs

Lippincott's 12 lead ECG interpretation

Bate's Guide to Physical Examination

Pharmacotherapy: A pathophysiological approach

Jeez buddy. How about he just goes to medical school first? Then he'll REALLY be prepared for his paramedic program! OP: this is OVERKILL beyond overkill and won't be effective if you don't have the background. If you absolutely must pre-study (which I don't really recommend at this point), my recommendation is to buy the required texts ahead of time and start reviewing those.

Best of luck in class, you'll enjoy it!

• Like 1

Aside from what the others have offered i would have to say talk to you instructor if you know who it is, if not find out. They will lead you down the right road for how they will be teaching the course. Aside from that i agree. take the time before class and spend it doing what you want with family, wife, kids,friends, and/or girlfriend cause it will all be coming to an end soon for a year or two.

Race

Agreed with some of those above.

The list above, though ideal in a world so perfect that we'll never see it, is years of study that just isn't going to happen.

And with Race and Gulf. If you're taking a good, college level course that demands anatomy and physiology as prerequs, (If they don't then you should find one that does), then you need to take some time to relax and explore leisurely. You will truly be giving up nearly all of your life if you plan to do well in a good program. I completed my 2.5 years with a 3.78 average, not the highest in the class, and it was truly one of the most stressful times in my life.

I wouldn't trade the opportunities that it's given me for anything, but I wouldn't do it again on a bet.

On the other hand, if you're going through a quicky program, you'll need much of what's been mentioned, as well, many doors will be closed to you unless you're wanting to become a fireman.

The best resource you will find prior to either program? Truly, EMTCity...if you can wade through the occasional bullshit, it's golden.

Dwayne

The total degree from my program took me 4 yrs, i had to get the prereq's while working full time supporting my family at the same time. I did the main medic part of the program in 12 months. my GPA was slightly less than yours Dwayne at a 3.53. and my nursing was about the same GPA wise. I did take the Paramedic to RN bridge course and both were college courses.

If a bridge program is in your future i would advise a couple yrs as a medic first then enter with an open mind. there is a huge theory and practice difference but when approached correctly makes an incredible combination.

Jeez buddy. How about he just goes to medical school first? Then he'll REALLY be prepared for his paramedic program! OP: this is OVERKILL beyond overkill and won't be effective if you don't have the background. If you absolutely must pre-study (which I don't really recommend at this point), my recommendation is to buy the required texts ahead of time and start reviewing those.

Best of luck in class, you'll enjoy it!

Yup. The school you've chosen has its own booklist, and it's best to abide by that for the abundance of your studying as they will be testing you on that information.

Experience as a BLS provider prior to obtaining ALS education is also key, and will likely help you more than pre-reading a bunch of books that you'll have to trade in for required reading.

Where I'm from medic school is a 2 year program, not including the year or two of EMR and EMT prerequisites. or the couple years of BLS experience that makes the coursework easier, and improves your chances of getting into a GOOD school.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.