Multiple patient, single ambulance transport scenario..

DwayneEMTP

It's a nitrate vasodilator. It has multiple FDA black box warnings. Precipitous changes in blood pressure can occur with it and at high doses cyanide toxicity can occur due to the development of cyanide like metabolites. Also, it must be reconstituted, mixed and stored with special precautions.

Then no, no way in hell I'm stopping. I take my eyes off that patient, they're going to crash. No thanks. Haul ass, call for help, hope for the best...

Wow. Do they still use Nipride?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Haven't seen it in a while at the small hospital I worked for but I do know that you also have to have aluminum foil covering the tubing and the bag or it breaks down.

Yeah...that was pretty much my plan.. :-)

I know! But....(add something really smart here.)

Screw you...and the horse your argument rode in on...

Man, I was so far off in the ditch on this it's ridiculous. I was sort of trying to free associate and just posted an opinion that seemed like the actual course I may followed had I been actually presented with this situation. And I'm glad I did. Because I think I would have...and been completely, horribly wrong. Awesome answers all..thanks for taking the time to explore this. I know the 'a bus load of nuns was hit by a plane full of infant hemophiliacs, there's no flight and the radios are down' scenarios can be silly, but sometimes they pay dividends I think.

Yeah, I kind of imagined asking this over my shoulder as I'm running down the street with my jump bag, yelling to my partner, "Ask them if this is ok! If they say no, touch em with a little Versed and then ask again! Don't forget to get them to sign!!")

(Of course in this nightmare Flaming jumps out of the bushes, jumps into the ambulance screaming, "He's retarding your treatment! I am hereby notifying you that this is not an optimal treatment plan!!") (Having a little fun at the expense of your argument brother, wasn't meant to be a cheap shot. Funny, though, right?)

Can you tell that it's really past my bedtime at the end of a long day?

Great discussion all, thanks for playing. Though, apologies to whoever's thread we hijacked to have it.

Dwayne

What happened?

damn either someone hijacked my computer and account or i had a lucent interval in the head injury i call my life ... lol ...

i laughed pretty damn hard at your response Dwayne, almost had tears at the "screw you" comment and flaming jumping out from a bush ! Still giggling at those

seriously though, this has been a great discussion. when i get back to my laptop and away from this table ill respond more ... (hate typing on screen)

Race

*edit*

Tablet.... not table.... REALLY HATE TOUCH SCREEN KEYBOARDS

Edited by RaceMedic

Having worked in a rural system, I see no problem taking 2 or even more if necessary in the ambulance. Most critical going on the stretcher. I have worked for at least one system where you have the capabilities of taking 4-5 per truck....2 hanging, 1 on the bench, 1 on the stretcher and if you have an ambulatory or at least one that can go seated (i.e. a pedi in a car seat) put them in the captains chair or the side seat on the other side. Just depends on what your resources are. Hopefully in the situation of more than one patient you have the luxury of grabbing a first responder with a clue but that doesn't always happen so you end up with either no help or a little help, sometimes a little help is better than nothing. You do with what you have and you do the most good for the most amount of people.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.