I have about a million questions...

MPLS

I'm new but I figured I'll get right down to some of the questions I have. I'm active duty Navy right now but I should be back to civilian life by May and possibly looking at a future in EMS. That's where you all come in. I got some questions about the job, the schooling and stuff so I was hoping you could help me out. Here we go lets see if I can remember them all.

1). Is there a major difference between going and getting training at a community college vs. hospital? I know a lot of hospitals offer EMS training but so do some community colleges (they offer degrees too). I was thinking when it came to looking for a job it might look better to get training from a hospital but I'm not really sure. The issue I have with that is I don't think my GI Bill will pay for hospital training. I'd have to look that up though.

2). The college I am looking into says it's about 3 semesters worth of school before I can apply for the medic core program. The medic program is another year long. So I guess I would be looking at around 2-3 years of schooling to become a medic. That sounds about right?

3). Some people told me before you can become a paramedic you have to do a certain amount of "911 calls" as an EMT. Is that covered in the training/schooling or do you have to go out and find an EMT job? I ask because I'm being told EMT jobs are tough to find these days. So some clarification on that would be nice.

4). Do you guys enjoy your profession? I've been narrowing down my options for years and I finally have it down to xray technican and medic. I'm leaning towards medic because I think it's a much more rewarding field and I like working outdoors. I've always wanted to be a first responder (at first a police officer now medic). To have a job where I help people on daily basis sounds awesome. I know I would enjoy that.

5). I know every company is different but in general what is the EMS community's opinion on tattoos? Obviously, if they are concealable (chest, shoulders, back, etc) it's no big deal but what about visible tattoos (on the calf, lower arms)?

6). What is the job outlook like for medics? Is it tough to find jobs out there? All I hear is about how the medical field is expanding and there are jobs everywhere but that just seems hard to believe. I know it's a recession and even though it should be I bet EMS isn't exactly recession-proof. Are any of you having a hard time finding work or know of people trying to find a job?

That's really all I can think of at the moment. It wasn't quite a million but it should keep you guys busy. Thanks in advance for your help. I'm looking forward to hearing some responses.

And by the way I'm going to be living/working in Minnesota (twin cities area) and I'm nearly 22 years old. If that helps at all. Thanks.

I'm new but I figured I'll get right down to some of the questions I have. I'm active duty Navy right now but I should be back to civilian life by May and possibly looking at a future in EMS. That's where you all come in. I got some questions about the job, the schooling and stuff so I was hoping you could help me out. Here we go lets see if I can remember them all.

1). Is there a major difference between going and getting training at a community college vs. hospital? I know a lot of hospitals offer EMS training but so do some community colleges (they offer degrees too). I was thinking when it came to looking for a job it might look better to get training from a hospital but I'm not really sure. The issue I have with that is I don't think my GI Bill will pay for hospital training. I'd have to look that up though.

Most hospitals dont actually do the training themselves. Most of the time, here in NY anyway, they will sponser a class so that the students can do clinical time there. You will be much better off going to the college where you will get core knowledge, such as A&P and terminology.

2). The college I am looking into says it's about 3 semesters worth of school before I can apply for the medic core program. The medic program is another year long. So I guess I would be looking at around 2-3 years of schooling to become a medic. That sounds about right?

EMT basic classes vary in time frames. Some take 3 or 4 months, a couple nights a week. EMT basic is only 120 hours to complete. Depending on where you will be going to take the paramedic program, it can take 10 to 18 months. Here, where I am, they have streamlined the 18 months program into 10 months. The paramedic program is 500+ hours of didactic (classroom) and then several hundred more clinical hours.

3). Some people told me before you can become a paramedic you have to do a certain amount of "911 calls" as an EMT. Is that covered in the training/schooling or do you have to go out and find an EMT job? I ask because I'm being told EMT jobs are tough to find these days. So some clarification on that would be nice.

The more experience that you have as a basic, the easier it will be to use that "real life" experience to draw from while in medic school. There is a huge controversy about new basics going directily into medic school. It really depends on you and how quickly you getcomfortable you get with sick patients. EMT's are, unfortunately a dime a dozen, and getting a job is very difficult to do if you have no experience in the field. Doing some volly time might help with that.

4). Do you guys enjoy your profession? I've been narrowing down my options for years and I finally have it down to xray technican and medic. I'm leaning towards medic because I think it's a much more rewarding field and I like working outdoors. I've always wanted to be a first responder (at first a police officer now medic). To have a job where I help people on daily basis sounds awesome. I know I would enjoy that.

I absolutely LOVE my job. My favorite calls, and I dont wish bad on people, are unresponsive diabetics. I can see that what I do makes a difference, right now. Other calls, like stroke and MI, I have to get updates from ED staff.

5). I know every company is different but in general what is the EMS community's opinion on tattoos? Obviously, if they are concealable (chest, shoulders, back, etc) it's no big deal but what about visible tattoos (on the calf, lower arms)?

For the answer to this question, you wil have to get the policy of the company you are applying too. There is no steadfast answer.

6). What is the job outlook like for medics? Is it tough to find jobs out there? All I hear is about how the medical field is expanding and there are jobs everywhere but that just seems hard to believe. I know it's a recession and even though it should be I bet EMS isn't exactly recession-proof. Are any of you having a hard time finding work or know of people trying to find a job?

There is a HUGE need for paramedics now. Services all over the US are increasing thier cert levels to meet the demand and falling short. The company I work for is basic heavy, meaning the ratio of basics to medics is about 2 to 1. As for being recession proff...there will always be sick and stupid people. It's job security.

That's really all I can think of at the moment. It wasn't quite a million but it should keep you guys busy. Thanks in advance for your help. I'm looking forward to hearing some responses.

And by the way I'm going to be living/working in Minnesota (twin cities area) and I'm nearly 22 years old. If that helps at all. Thanks.

• Like 1

What an excellent, intelligent second post. Good on you brother. As Nypaemet39 said, there are a million ways to go. But you should not even consider a program that doesn't demand college level A&P at least. You can certainly become a medic without it, but in no time you will know that you have placed yourself at the bottom of the pack. You don't strike me as a follower. If you want to do real paramedic medicine in the more respected, progressive services, you will need a top notch education.

...2). The college I am looking into says it's about 3 semesters worth of school before I can apply for the medic core program. The medic program is another year long. So I guess I would be looking at around 2-3 years of schooling to become a medic. That sounds about right?

Yeah, that sounds about right. I went back to school at 40 with no previous college level education. It took me about 3 yrs to get my AAS in Paramedic Medicine. Maybe a little bit more.

...3). Some people told me before you can become a paramedic you have to do a certain amount of "911 calls" as an EMT. Is that covered in the training/schooling or do you have to go out and find an EMT job? I ask because I'm being told EMT jobs are tough to find these days. So some clarification on that would be nice.

None of the better schools that I'm aware of insist on that. For some reason, unlike all of the other medical professions, it's considered 'normal' to have experience before education. Many of us here disagree that experience first is better. I had no time in EMS before becoming a medic. Not by choice, but as you mention, Basic jobs are hard to come by. Don't waste that time. If you want to be a medic spend your time becoming educated. The rest will work itself out during clinicals if you bring mature life experience to the table.

...4). Do you guys enjoy your profession? I've been narrowing down my options for years and I finally have it down to xray technican and medic. I'm leaning towards medic because I think it's a much more rewarding field and I like working outdoors. I've always wanted to be a first responder (at first a police officer now medic). To have a job where I help people on daily basis sounds awesome. I know I would enjoy that.

I love my job but have been a remote duty medic for several years now. But, as you can see in another thread ongoing here, many services have no interest in helping people, only moving them.

On the one hand about half of the medics I know love their jobs. On the other, I don't believe that I know a single dagree'd medic that doesn't wish that they had spent their educational time preparing for a field that pays better and has more diversity. Walk into any EMS room and say, "I'm thinking of becoming a medic, what do you think?" And you'll receive a resounding, unified, "Become a nurse!" Same amount of time invested in education, better money, massive diversity in career paths.

...5). I know every company is different but in general what is the EMS community's opinion on tattoos? Obviously, if they are concealable (chest, shoulders, back, etc) it's no big deal but what about visible tattoos (on the calf, lower arms)?

I've limited experience with many 911 companies, but if the tattoos are not what would be considered by most to be offensive, and if the provider they are attached to is clean and professional, I would expect them most often to be a non issue.

...6). What is the job outlook like for medics? Is it tough to find jobs out there? All I hear is about how the medical field is expanding and there are jobs everywhere but that just seems hard to believe. I know it's a recession and even though it should be I bet EMS isn't exactly recession-proof. Are any of you having a hard time finding work or know of people trying to find a job?

I can't think of any medics that want a job that don't have one. Unfortunately because of the need for medics, many that I know should never be employable, but they are. You will have a ton of options for employment as a medic. Though keep in mind that I've recently worked with medics from all over the country on the BP oil spill and met medics with several years experience making $9/hr at home.

...And by the way I'm going to be living/working in Minnesota (twin cities area) and I'm nearly 22 years old. If that helps at all. Thanks.

Though I lived in Mora MN for about 7 years, it's been long ago and I have no good information on either the Medic economy there or what your age may mean to them.

Good to have you here Brother. Great questions.

Dwayne

Edited to adjust formatting only.

Here in the Kansas City Missouri area I am un aware of any hospital base EMS programs. I would recommed the college base program just base off the fact of the degree option. If you can get a job in the hospital or medical field while going to school this would help. After I got my EMT-B I got a job as an ER Tech because finding a job as an EMT-B in the filed was rather hard. This gave me the experience to find a job in the field.

This really depends on the program but 2 to 3 years sounds about average. For me it was around 2 as my medic program was "accerlerated." Keep in mind especially throughout your paramedic program you will basically have a part-time job to full-time job just with clinicals. For me it was full-time job as EMT, clinicals, plus class. Your social life takes a back seat during paramedic school.

No you donot have to do a certain amount of calls before going to paramedic. Would it be benificial? In my opinion yes. I was an EMT-B in the field for a year before I went to medic school. That time and experience help me a lot and gave me a lot of resources during the program. I would not delay going to medic school for experience as an EMT. You will run plenty of 911 calls during clinical hours/days/months!

I love my job. The thing that you should realize is that actually emergencies are few and far inbetween. Many times EMS is a glorified taxi. Bottom line is there are patients that need us and I enjoy being able to help in those times of need. I try to think of all patients as needing us and forget about the taxi part, sometimes it is just a bit too obvious.

One place I work requires all tattoos to be covered, other places donot have a policy. Check with local EMS agencies.

Finding an EMT-B job can be difficult. Getting a job as a paramedic is much eaiser especially if you add firefighter to the paramedic. I am easily able to find multiple jobs as a paramedic. Currently full-time at a fire dept, PRN at ambulance, and seasonal part-time at flu clinic.

To answer your questions, in order:

1) A college based program will offer you the availability of a college degree. A hospital based program won't. Put your GI Bill to good use and follow the degree route.

2) My paramedic program was a two year, degree awarding program. So the time frame you're looking at seems about right. With that being said, use that time to take as many classes as you can. Learn as much as you can. Work to rolling that education into a degree of some sort.

3) A reputable educational program will have sufficient ride along and clinical time built into the process that will ensure you get enough exposure. This would be an excellent question to ask when you interview with any question. What defines a reputable program? Try with one that is accredited. You can find them here.

4) I love my job. I love being a paramedic. After a while, though, I wanted more. So I'm back in school to do more. Yes, EMS can be an exciting job from time to time. But there are limitations. The more you can diversify your experience and education the better off you'll be.

5) Every single organization I've worked for has had a policy of no visible tats. Every single one. Does that mean people don't have them? No. It means they're working in the middle of the summer wearing long sleeve shirts. Generally, these guys are not happy campers at this point. There are a variety of opinions regarding tats. While they were gaining mainstream appeal for a while I've seen changes in professional settings that point to a decreasing acceptance for visible tats.

6) EMS jobs depends on your area. I don't know what the market is like in the Twin Cities area. But look closely at what the job market is like where you live and where you want to live before pulling the trigger on this. Market research is important. It would really suck for you if you waiting for the three years to get through school only to find out that the only EMS jobs are municipal and there's a hiring freeze due to budget constraints.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for all your help. You guys gave me a lot of information! Here's another quick question. Do any of you know anything about radiation technicans? Like maybe know one or something. That is the other career field I have been looking into. My family says I should pursue that one since it has better pay and probably better hours but I think I would enjoy my work as a medic a lot more and to me that is more important. It seems like all of you don't regret going into the EMS field and that helps give me a lot of confidence in my decision.

I still have time to think and go over it so I'm not stressing yet. But it helps to gather as much information as possible. Thanks again for your help!

All of your questions have been thoroughly answered above I think. I am of the opinion that aspiring paramedics need EMT experience, but like others have said-- it is a contentious subject and you're likely to get different opinions depending on who you talk to.

Anyways, I wanted to just put it out there that if you have the option to have the military pay for your school: DO THAT. Go to college, get it paid for, and reap the rewards. EMS can be a very challenging and rewarding career, but the burn out rate is extremely high. I would estimate that maybe 10% actually stay in the field for longer than 10 years. Best to keep your options open, and college really is the best way to do that.

Do you mean x-ray technician or cancer treatment radiation? Just clarifying is all :)

X-ray Tech.

Fiznat, I'm definitely going to use my GI Bill. It's the main reason why I joined the Navy in the first place. I don't think I could live with myself if I got out and didn't use it!

The hospital program is acceptable if you’re going only as far as EMT-B. If you’re going to go any higher, I would suggest that you look into the college program, simply because of all of the core classes you’ll need for your degree. They may seem unrelated, but trust me; they all will serve a purpose in making you a better medic in the long run.

My program was 9 months: 6 months for EMT-B and an additional 3 months for EMT-I (they were combined into one program).

My Medic program is 15 months with 500 didactic (lecture) hours and a minimum of 360 clinical hours.

In GA, I had to hold at minimum an EMT-B license, or the NREMT equivalent. Since I started medic class directly after EMT-I, I was ‘golden’. I’m going to have to apply for my state EMT-I license soon, so that I can continue in the class (the NREMT is going to expire before my medic program ends).

As far as the ‘experience’ part of your question, it IS a ‘hot topic’ with two schools of thought; the first advocating at least a year of experience before medic school, and the second advocating going directly to medic school.

The biggest problem with the ‘experience gathering hiatus’ is that it gives you time to build bad habits, which will have to be broken during your medic school. If you’re serious about becoming a medic, then by all means, go directly to medic school. This will keep the information learned in EMT school fresh and keep you in the ‘school mode’ of thinking.

The job definitely has its good points and its bad points. When you step into a bad situation and can actually do something to pluck the hapless soul from the jaws of death (ok, I’ve been watching too many of the ‘whacker shows’) it’s a feeling that compares to nothing else you’ll do. Make no mistake though, you’re not even going to come close to saving them all, and when you lose one despite doing everything right…it will crush you like a cigarette butt beneath someone’s heel. It’s a devastating blow; not only to your ego/spirit, but to your confidence.

Many will tell you that tattoos should be ‘coverable’ while in uniform. The geriatric population of your patients aren’t always comfortable with the ‘colorful’ healthcare provider.

With the ‘patch mills’ churning out mediocre providers, it DOES make it tough in some areas. Obtaining a degree will help set you apart from the masses of ‘cookbook providers’ being turned out by the ‘patch mills’

Good luck in your endeavors, and welcome to the City! You’ll find a wealth of experience and a few hundred folks that are willing to help you along the way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.