Patient Advocate

medicgirl05

I saw it completely opposite, the patient was still injured even though he was restrained properly to the stretcher. If the ambulance wrecks, I promise a lawsuit is coming no matter what.

You appear bound and determined to not change your mind or to reflect on any of the information you have been given. Do you seriously expect a medic to take any patient they feel cannot be safely transported? Where are you running this department of yours? The only thing I can think of is you are in a part of the country that is so seriously under served by professional EMS that an attitude such as yours can be developed and maintained. How much field experience do you have? Have you worked in other environments?

One of the strengths of this site is the fact any half assed cherished notion is swiftly dispelled with facts and opinions of people that have seen more and know more. I know it hurts to admit that you may be wrong but trust me, that is the most useful reason for being here.

In the scenario I presented the patient didn't weigh 1000 pounds. She weighed a little over 600 which would easily fit on a bariatric stretcher rated for 750.

Can you tell us how the pt felt about it all. I asked earlier but I tend to carry on and sometimes things are missed

But you can put a 1000 pound patient on the floor with no straps/restraints?

Sure, just a little squeeze here and a pinch there. That’s where I want to ride, Jeeze let’s put the patient on a flatbed so they can be commune with nature and feel the breeze in their hair during the ride.

I've been keeping up on the responses to this thread but have bit my tongue and remained quiet since my last post. I've read the argument that in a crash that the stretcher will come loose and fly around. Heres a study that proves otherwise, granted its only one study but with 2 types of tests.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv21/09-0471.pdf

or how about this one that studies stretcher adverse events. 1% of adverse events involved failure of the fastening system and 1% involved an adverse event while transporting the stretcher in the ambulance.

http://mhf.georgetownemergencymedicine.org/wp-content/uploads/downloads/ambulance_stretcher_ae_160609.pdf

Now I realize that these studies will require some reading and are not nearly as much fun as videos on youtube. And they dont involve bariatric patients.

OH and on a side note HLPP...being on the "rag" doesnt excuse rude behavior or statements. If you want to continue to defend the indefensible, so be it. As I said in a previous reply to this thread, I will gladly be terminated if it means that my safety and that of the patient is gauranteed by refusing to do this type of transport. Your company policy of not "allowing" a medic to refuse is, to be honest, stupid and dangerous, and needs to be changed. For everyone's well-being.

I had mentioned that there are standards in place. I am not going to waste my time looking them up for someone that blindly follows policies that are extremely poorly thought out and implemented. However a transfer company that would place a 23 yr old with very little experience (5yrs if certified at 18) in a management position with firing ability is not on my list of places to work.

If you going to let a couple videos on youtube be your guide to ambulance safety standards then stay where you are and have a great oblivious career. If you choose to educate yourself to the abilities and limitations of your ambulances. You will be much better off and prepared, not to mention a requirement of your position. It is not only your medics responsibility but yours as a manager. If you don't know you need to do the research.

Additionally, look in to your ambulance inspection procedures. If the cot mounting hardware isn't included then it needs to be added. Not only does it need to be checked for visible wear and tear but also smooth operation and positive locking of the cot with no slack. This also includes the restraints for the PT.

As i mentioned before i have worked an ambulance roll over on the highway. Bent the frame of the GMC 4500 chassis. The cot mounts and cot belts worked flawlessly. On arrival the PT was on the cot still in his belts and the cot was secure in it mounts as the ambulance is lying on the passenger side. After the unit rolled twice. Ohh and the only equipment "missiles" in the back from in the cabinets were some gauze bandages from the one door that was opened. the rest were still securely closed. Even the Lifepak 12 was hanging from the security straps and not flying around in the back of the unit.

My shift partner was hurt but not by loose equipment, but rather she was unbelted suctioning the airway of her PT. There was no way to be belted and handle her PT to the level they needed while belted in either the CPR seat or the bench. So she was thrown around instead of equipment. Was not a good day. She did make a full recovery and is still working full time 911 service.

Edited by RaceMedic

I am sorry, but I would have terminated you. First of all, the stretcher bar and antlers are easily removed from the floor. We do this type of transport frequently, we typically roll them to the truck on the hospital bed (fully raised), remove the head board and then just slide the mattress and patient into the back of the truck, then reverse the process at the receiving facility.

You probably pissed off every social worker and nurse in that facility, and showed them exactly how valuable your competitor is. There are very few services that have a bariatric wench and lift for an ambulance, so the other ambulance may not have been any better equiped than you. It is not your job to determine who you will and will not transport. Hopefully you will still have a job when you go back to work, but do not be surprised if you do not.

P.S. You have no idea what the next stage of treatment was, so you may well have delayed definitive care. She may have been scheduled for a procedure of some sort that day or the next day.

Another reason privates have no business in EMS. I've seen this happen time and time again at a private company. She is the medical personnel on scene, its her ambulance and its her rules. IF she thought it was unsafe then thats her call. Kudos to you Medicgirl. Someone going to rehab can wait for appropriate transport. This isn't rocket science or even an emergency. It's a transfer service...it's not even EMS. The right move is to wait for appropriate resources. A private will not understand this, because all that matters to them is $$$$. As such, I despise private EMS, the 95% scam that transfer services provide.

• Like 1

There are some good private services out there. I do agree some are out for a quick buck, but not all. Again research and educate yourselves people.