Professionalism and the lack thereof.

Here is a question related to professionalism. At your department, do they supply you with new uniforms regularly? I can imagine can get pretty beat up over the course of a year. If the departments care about appearance they should provide new uniforms to the medics every year or so, correct? So does this happen or are you guys forced to come out of pocket for uniform expenses?

Good question. I'm sure every service is different.

Every service I've worked for has issued a uniform shirt(s) on hiring. Pants and footwear were the responsibility of the employee. Getting replacement uniform parts was tough and depended on budget limitations and if the person responsible for ordering felt like it.

I've always taken care of my uniform parts. I don't like to look dirty, ruffled or wrinkled when showing up for work. But still, things wear out. Being persistent, yet polite, usually helped me get what I needed.

I would have been just as embarassed to be a part of that as I am sure you were. One thing that EMS needs to remember is that if we want the occupation to grow and become more respected, we need to start carrying ourselves in a professional manner. It is not professional to make the patient feel as though they are an inconvenience to us. The fact is...if they didn't have emergencies, we wouldn't have jobs!

As someone who`s bearded, I just wanna point out, that there is no direct connection between facial hair and a lack of professionalism... ;)

But Mike, I hear you, I`ve been in this kind of position, too - there`s not much you can do about it, though.

As someone who`s bearded, I just wanna point out, that there is no direct connection between facial hair and a lack of professionalism... ;)

But Mike, I hear you, I`ve been in this kind of position, too - there`s not much you can do about it, though.

Bernhard,

I agree entirely. As long as it's neatly trimmed and doesn't contain last night's dinner to be consumed as a snack today... :thumbsdown:

Bernhard,

I agree entirely. As long as it's neatly trimmed and doesn't contain last night's dinner to be consumed as a snack today... :thumbsdown:

Huh? ;)

Edited by Vorenus

I too wonder what has happened to the basics of common courtesy, taking pride in your job, professionalism, and a few other things. Maybe things aren't the same as when I got started in EMS but I started in a time when you took pride in your job, you tried to be professional at all times and applied the basics of common courtesy to everyone especially to others within the healthcare world, you might not always agree with them but you found that time and place and way to politely question why they were doing what they were doing and you remembered that you were going to most likely have to work with these people again and it was important to leave them with a good taste in their mouth so to speak.

I am not perfect but I do go out of my way to show up to work prepared and dressed appropriately and I try to insure that my filter is intact and well seated at all times be it when dealing with other public safety providers, or when dealing with other healthcare providers or even when dealing with a patients family or the patient themselves. I attend continuing education expecting to get something out of it and expect that the people teaching it will show some level of professionalism and won't read me the slides as I'm not illiterate, and I expect the other students to at least pretend they are there to learn. Sadly several times as of late I have been disappointed, both at the other students, and/or the instructors. I know that I am light years away from being as up-to-date as a medic as I would like to be, but I try. I make sure that uniforms are clean and pressed at a minimum and that boots are polished. I don't work out as much as I should but I do try to at least make healthy food choices and watch my weight and general health. I go out of my way to at least try to act and sound professional at all times when in uniform. And I expect the same out of a partner. Maybe I'm an old paramedic who expects too much...

txladymedic - It is good to hear from you again, every time you post I enjoy your thoughts.

I have to agree that power point has dumbed down many instructors. I get so tired of folks reading the Power Point I want to ask if they would allow me to read for them so they can rest their voice. Don't you hate it when you are sitting through a class and there are fellow students that are whispering just loud enough to distract?

They probably only do it because they can read faster than the instructor :)

I think this topic boils down to not only respect for the family, the patient, the physicians, nurses and all others involved but the biggest part to me is respect for yourself. Boys and girls you just cannot teach that.

I have seen scenarios like this one play out several times before my eyes and I was just completely flabbergasted!

Its a sad part of our world and for those of us who understand the concept of professionlism it makes it that much harder for us to change the perceptions of those involved in these types of incidents. Once that impression of "EMS is unprofessional slobs!" has been fixed in someones head it is difficult to correct.

However, we should always strive to treat not just our patients with love and compassion but also everyone involved from the family to the ER staff and beyond.

My motto is kill them with kindness and if you put a smile on your face and then begin to speak it always sounds better!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.