What Did I Do Wrong ?

You know what the saddest thing in the world is for me right now? This is the first post I read today. My first thought was "Oh wow, Dustdevil is going to have a field day on this guy..." The second post I read was the one about his passing. I think its time for me to go log off and take a walk.

• Like 1

Whhhhhooooaaaaa, get off your high horse. We have several volunteers in the area that have no EMS training, and it is not rocket science to put on a c-collar and hold a head up straight, would you prefer for his neck to be flopping around for another 10 minutes ? And I have reviewed my EMT book which clearly states that it is legal to assist a patient in taking their medication. The difference between me and some of you: I care enough to respond on my time off to people in need, according to another thread, most of you wouldn't even consider stopping on the side of the road to help someone.

I am still on the fence if you are for real, or say, crochitymedic or someone in disguise pulling a grade-A troll job. If its the latter case, on any other day in existence I'd find it kinda funny, but not today. If its the former, I'll advise you it is a really bad idea to irritate me today.

I am still on the fence if you are for real, or say, crochitymedic or someone in disguise pulling a grade-A troll job. If its the latter case, on any other day in existence I'd find it kinda funny, but not today. If its the former, I'll advise you it is a really bad idea to irritate me today.

I'll second that, this is not the day for either of those two.

And I have reviewed my EMT book which clearly states that it is legal to assist a patient in taking their medication. The difference between me and some of you: I care enough to respond on my time off to people in need, according to another thread, most of you wouldn't even consider stopping on the side of the road to help someone.

First of all, it's legal to assist someone in taking their medication if you're an EMTB, which you are not. Ergo, your point is invalid. Second, don't try to make assumptions about the kind of people we are, it's rather arrogant and reflects poorly on you.

Whoa nelly, why don't you call your doctor and ask him what the dangers or giving a guy two nitroglycerins after a car wreck with the steering wheel bent.

YOu had NO buisiness giving this guy any medication. You would have learned that in EMT Class but you are too jolly roger in a hurry to get out and save the world.

No-one got on you for putting the c-collar on, they(I) got on you for responding to a car wreck and giving medication to a trauma patient.

You also asked what you did wrong and we told you. It's you that is getting your panties in a bunch at the criticism. DO NOT come here asking for advice if you are not willing to take the advice that is given.

Like I said before, don't run away from this discussion, don't pussy out and run away. You opened yourself up to this criticism and that did show good intentions but with you getting all pissy, I'm a little disappointed in your response. Please don't blame us if you don't like the advice.

But I'll bet you run away from this discourse and that would be pointless.

My panties are not in a wad, I asked a simple question and got pounced on from every angle. As far as judging you, I did not, I read your own words in this thread : http://www.emtcity.com/topic/20733-treating-patients-while-off-duty/page__hl__%2Boff+%2Bduty+%2Bpatient+%2Bcare__fromsearch__1

where many of you stated you would just drive on by an accident, although some of you said you would call 911 for them, big whhhhhooooppp, thanks a pants load for interupting your day. If that upsets you then I am sorry, but those were your words, not mine.

You do not have to be an EMTB, I , or P to assist a patient in taking their own medication, any citizen can do that, there is no law against it. So if a kid was having a severe asthma attack and asked me to get his inhaler out of his book-bag, you are saying I should wait until an EMT arrives ? Please !!!!!

And why is today not the day for me to be on here ? Are new people not allowed on Mondays ?

My panties are not in a wad, I asked a simple question and got pounced on from every angle. As far as judging you, I did not, I read your own words in this thread : http://www.emtcity.c...__fromsearch__1

where many of you stated you would just drive on by an accident, although some of you said you would call 911 for them, big whhhhhooooppp, thanks a pants load for interupting your day. If that upsets you then I am sorry, but those were your words, not mine.

You do not have to be an EMTB, I , or P to assist a patient in taking their own medication, any citizen can do that, there is no law against it. So if a kid was having a severe asthma attack and asked me to get his inhaler out of his book-bag, you are saying I should wait until an EMT arrives ? Please !!!!!

And why is today not the day for me to be on here ? Are new people not allowed on Mondays ?

Yup, you were in fact judging by implying we don't care enough...however that is not the issue here.

The problem is that you gave someone a medication that was not indicated at the time, and you did so without considering the implications of said action. There was a very high suspicion that he had a chest injury that caused the SOB and chest pain, however you gave him his nitro without considering that the chest pain and SOB were caused by the trauma he just suffered. You're not an EMT and you acted outside of your scope of practice, there's no two ways about it.

It's great that you want to help and that you want to learn everything you can, but you need to take it one step at a time. Focus on reading your EMT-B book and put down the paramedic book, turn off the scanner and appreciate your down time, if you get employed in EMS you'll find it to be a rare commodity. You asked what you did wrong and we told you, we're not trying to be dicks, we're just critiquing you, learn to accept criticism in all its forms or your time in EMS will be short-lived.

My panties are not in a wad, I asked a simple question and got pounced on from every angle. As far as judging you, I did not, I read your own words in this thread : http://www.emtcity.c...__fromsearch__1

The scary part of this is you don't even have enough knowledge to understand how wrong you were.

It's clear you have quite a bit of growing up to do- at 18, many kids think they have all the answers and don't take kindly to criticism. I know my son was the same way when he was your age.

The problem is, you are messing with people's lives here, and it's no joke. Knock it off before you get yourself or someone else badly hurt or even killed. Go to school, you will realize how badly you screwed up, and consider this a lesson learned. You also better hope that crew doesn't find you and report you to the authorities.

You're putting the cart before the horse, and that's why the FD wanted to ream you a new one. No attack from me- I used to be over-eager like you. The more I have learned, the more I am ashamed of how I used to be. I was ignorant, and I was a danger to myself and to my patients. I'm just barely at the point where I've learned enough to USUALLY not endanger my patients.

People are not of a mood to re-orient you today because we lost one of our best and most respected posters to chronic illness. He tackled many of us when we were at the stage you are now, and we are all better for it. Unfortunately, there have been trolls lately "pretending" to be this naive... hence the suspicion. If you're really and truly this new, step back and look at our responses... we're trying to save you from the mistakes we made.

Answer me these questions:

What is the pharmacologic action of nitroglycerin? Why would that be a potential problem in a trauma patient with unknown hemodynamic status?

What would your recourse have been if another vehicle had hit the vehicle you were in, while you were helping the patient- who would have paid for YOUR care?

What are the legal limits of practice in your state? Who is the physician advisor for your local departments? What are their protocols?

Put yourself in the shoes of the local department- and take a look at yourself on that scene. You don't know you from Adam. All of a sudden, you have some unidentified individual performing medical care (and not just nifty bystander CPR, but performing potentially dangerous interventions) and you're no longer assessing that patient at baseline... to boot, the patient has now been given medication... do you like you very much?

Wendy

CO EMT-B