Robert (Rob) Davis

I haven't been here in over a year, but this post made me come back when I read it.

I never met Rob personally, but we've had plenty of side conversations while on the Forum, and he was always a great man to talk to. Even when we didn't agree on things, there was still a mutual respect.

Rest in Peace brother, we'll take it from here.

I received this note after a phone call as a follow up, it is self explanatory ...

Dear Squint / Et All:

We both lost a very close friend last Sunday.

I had gotten to know Rob about four years ago through the DFW Scanner Yahoo Group. His provocative, thought provoking posts had caught my eye. We met at a dinner get together for the group and quickly became friends. My wife and I would invite him over for dinner on Friday nights, and after a while it became an almost every weekly thing, then when my family got tired we would head out in his Impala and cruise around listening to the scanners. I work the late night shift and he was a night owl like me. When Rob got to the point where he felt he was unsafe to drive anymore I would drive him around. Then when he got confined to a wheel chair I would drive over to his house, load him into his car and bring him back to our house for dinner and just hang out with the family. Our Friday night get-togethers had become a ritual these past several years and we would all be disappointed when he was either too sick or too exhausted to make it over. Last summer I had a law enforcement convention in Tucson (the wife and kids didn’t want to drive that far and I hate to fly unless I’m doing the flying) so I loaded him up in the Impala and we drove out. I dropped him off in Phoenix where he was able to visit with his half brother Jim while I attended the conference. He had not seen Jim in over 15 years. After the conference I drove back up to Phoenix and we took off for Grand Canyon, where we spent two nights. He was so excited when we were able to get up in a Pappillion Grand Canyon helicopter for a ride over the Grand Canyon (he was grinning like a school kid the whole time!).

We had planned to do so much more and take more trips, perhaps to see (Chickenhawk) in Florida (Rob knew everybody!!!), but unfortunately his condition and my schedule just wouldn’t facilitate that.

About a month ago he took a big downslide needing several breathing machines to help him breath properly. He was getting weaker and weaker, having trouble swallowing, and wasn't eating enough. He also had been in a great deal of pain these past few months. Amazingly, he never complained, he would just politely ask me to re-position him in his chair, hand him his little pill holder, and a sip of water. Fortunately, we had a great visit last Friday night. Rob, his mom Robbie and her husband Joe along with his Uncle Sam and Sam’s new wife Hiromi from Japan and my family all went to Red Lobster in south Arlington. My wife fed him crab legs and he really enjoyed that. He loved sea food. He really wanted to come over to our house and do our usual Friday night hangout, but he needed to go back to his house to use the breathing machines. He used his machines and his coughing stopped and breathing improved, so we ended up staying up and talking until about 5am. The last thing I told him before I left: “See you Tuesday night after work.” Tuesday nights being my Friday, I normally get off work early and often would drive over to his house to hang out and watch videos of old TV shows we both liked until about 4:30 or 5am. We didn’t get the chance to finish season 4 of “Enterprise” together.

We all knew this was going to happen, but you can’t possibly prepare. My father-in-law died of ALS in 2005 so I knew what to expect and how bad things could get. However, I was shocked he went so quickly. But I am also glad that his suffering from this horrible villainous disease is over. I expected he would probably hold on till around Christmas. He had recently seen all of his close relatives, and Sam and Hiromi left for the airport for their return trip to Tokyo at around 6am Sunday morning. I can’t help but think he was holding on just to see them and complete the visit.

I’m amazed at all the people he has affected over his lifetime. And I was greatly moved while reading the comments on EMT-City from his friends. He was a paramedic, fireman, nurse, police officer, deputy sheriff, security guard, cable TV theft investigator, photojournalist for FOX and the Fort Worth Star Telegram, and a host of other jobs that even I don’t know about. He was a man who affected everyone he met. And as you know he loved to stir the sh** on the EMS, scanner, and radar forums!

Damned I miss him.

Moore Funeral Home on Bowen Road in south Arlington is handling everything, and an obit should be published within the next several days both on their web site and in the Fort Worth Star Telegram. Rob did not want a funeral. He would have wanted all of us to get together, have a party, and hoist a few in his memory. His mom wants to do this at their house in Arlington. Since Rob had so many friends (all around the world) who are cops, firemen, paramedics, doctors, truck drivers, nurses, etc., etc., etc., Frank, his friend from grade school has suggested we throw a three day long party so everyone will get a chance to stop in and visit when they can. I’ll let you know when that will be, as plans progress.

Call sign "Chopper Copper"

Dallas PD Helicopter Unit

FYI I gave Chopper Copper the intel on EMTcity and link and

Happi maybe this thread will be printed out for Rob's Mum and Family is my hope, but if you wish to add more ..just cant see an issue in slightest.

I unfortunately may not get there (depends on final sent dates) as I have a Education seminar planned, re: Health & Wellness Clinic “expanded scope” of practise training. I know Rob would understand if I am absent physically, I will be there in spirit (s) Hoo Hoo Hoo and a bottle of Rhum.

Edited by tniuqs

I am at a loss for words to express how saddened I am to hear of Rob's passing. I had many a long chat with Rob over the years, and he will be missed. It is obvious from the postings here that he had a profound effect on a lot of people. I count myself as one of them. He was one of a kind.

As a lot of us will not be able to go to any service may I suggest we set a date and time to meet on chat. I know many of us had many good times there with DD. Thoughts??

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.