Robert (Rob) Davis

Rob changed the way I think about EMS. He never beat around the bush, you always knew exactly where you stood. I can attibute my signature to him. It points out the fallacy in the BLS saves ALS argument. A great guy, and hopefully we can all help spread what he taught us, that would be the best memorial possible.

Yeah, man. When I came here is was to get advice because I was enrolled in AMRs 7 month medic program. No A&P, no sciences and/or biology of any kind. I would have hated so much to be that provider. I think I wanted to know what kind of pants to buy or something...grin...I can't remember now.

I too talked to Rob about three weeks ago, maybe more, I lose track of the time on this schedule. It was terrible. He was exhausted and angry, and just so completely ready for this battle to be over. I'm grateful that it is.

He is a big part of the reason that I stay at the City when things get shitty. He, as well as many others have given so much to me, changed the path of my career, and as with akflightmedic, the path of my life, to such a degree that I just can't walk away without trying to give at least a little bit of that back.

I hope that all here will remember those things, and feel the same obligation. If you do, the City could go back to being the resource it once was when everyone's balls shriveled just a bit when it came time to go head to head with Dusty. But the feeling of knowledge, and power, and understanding that came from coming out the other side made every goose bump worth it.

I loved him as my friend, as I've come to love many of you here. In different times, lets remember that this isn't just words on a forum...Let's let him remind us of at least that.

Have a great day all. Tip one back for the Dust Devil.

Dwayne

It is so nice to see the positive influence Rob had on people. He was passionate about EMS and was always a proponent of increased education for EMS providers. He was among the first to stand up for me when I took on some controversy. I worked with Rob in the 1970s in Fort Worth. He disappeared for several years and we reconnected after the funeral of a former co-worker. When another former Fort Worth EMS worker died in solitude in Mississippi (Jerry Harness), Rob went to Gulfport, got his ashes, and arranged a memorial service in Fort Worth. He wanted to assure that our colleague was honored. In terms of his diagnosis, I knew this day was coming. Still, it is a sad day.

Rob was very proud of me and I was humbled. He would call periodically and tease me about something or ask about “those damn books.” He was so proud my life that I wish I could have found a way to see that he too was making a difference. He’d be humbled for the kind accolades detailed here (or pissed off!). He was truly an advocate for EMS. But, he could stir the shit (and I never figured out why he took to spelling the British way—probably just to piss off his naysayers). Like him or hate him, Rob had a sustained passion for EMS. We need more Robs.

It has been great following this thread. I have to star a clinical block tomorrow in trauma and will try and look in when I can.

Bryan Bledsoe

Edited by bbledsoe

As everyone figured, probably, I'm not religious.. Well, I'm happy to report, that during the sub-conscience-colorful orb period where I see and hear weird things shortly after taking my (possibly too steeply dosed) Ambien. It appears Rob has taken God's throne, and has replaced him. So, now, I choose to believe that we really do have a God of EMS, and may you be lucky enough to have him look on over your shoulder...and guide you, next time you feel doubt.

• Like 1

Rob is going to be missed, I remember having many intelligent conversations with him when in Basic School. He was truly a unique individual and will be deeply missed. My condolences to his family. May god keep them safe and know that he is in my thoughts and everyone else on here.

I know Rob used to be stationed in Oak Cliff with Dallas-Fire Rescue when they had taken over Ambulance from Dudley Hughes at some point, I think it was in the eighties, man he had some awesome stories, he always said he preferred the blue-and-white Ford wagon ambulance the funeral home used to have.

Accordingly, I'll mark 602 code 6 then.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.