Georgia Is Targeting Fat Kids

hatelilpeepees

I fully agree nothing takes the place of personal responsibility. The point I was making is that I think unhealthy eating is just as much of a public health concern as tobacco smoking is. Whether you agree with it or not, basically the current consensus is that marketing an unhealthy product to a vulnerable population is wrong. We legislated against tobacco advertisement for just that reason, alcohol too, and while I do NOT believe that there should be legislation against fast food marketing, I do think that McDonald's, PepsiCo, Burger King, et. al. should take into consideration the real, clear health effects their products are having. This isn't someone who ate one two many cheeseburgers and got fat. This is a real epidemic, and I think fast food advertising is a big part of that.

• Like 2

I would have to agree that you can not blame fast food companies, as no one is forced to eat fast food, and almost all of the fast food companies do have healthy meals (at least a salad) that you can order.  But your arguement may be correct if you pointed it at the school cafeterias.  Most schools have a healthier menu than they did years ago, but most usually offer several choices now, and one is almost always a bad meal  (pizza and fried chicken nuggets comes to mind).  And somewhere along the way "ranch dressing" became the new ketchup or at least in my state it has.   Allowing kids to choose an unhealthy meal 5 days out of the week, is probably not a good thing.But in reality, you have to blame the parents. I ate horribly as a kid, and we ate alot of good southern food every night at home. I was skinny as can be until I was about 18, but it was because as a child, I got exercise at school (PE)and when I came home we played outside until it got dark. Kids today are far too sedentary with TV and video games.

Edited by hatelilpeepees
  • Like 1

Don't target kids, target these evil bloody corporations who have brainwashed us into believing into thinking that soda and chips and fast and processed foods are healthy

Eat food, not food like things!

I admit it's not that simple but really, feed your kid a bloody apple or green vegetables not some cheap processed shit; OK OK I admit I'm guilty of going to drive thru at 1am craving fat, salt and sugar

I admit it's not that simple but really, feed your kid a bloody apple or green vegetables not some cheap processed shit; OK OK I admit I'm guilty of going to drive thru at 1am craving fat, salt and sugar

You mean to say that you too have been the intoxicated individual blubbering to your DD that you're having a situation critical "Mac Attack"? Say it isn't so Kiwi!

In all seriousness. It's no different than the problem with many EMS training programs around the world. The situation clearly illustrates a profound lack of education both on the part of parents and children. It's to the point now where parents are incapable of teaching their kids how to eat a healthy diet because those parents never learned how to eat a healthy diet themselves.

North American healthcare systems are reactive instead of proactive in so many ways it's sickening to think about. Now, instead of working to change that and truly help the populace, this add campaign has placed a target squarely on the backs of portly children.

• Like 1

Feeding children properly starts from day 1 of starting solid foods. When my boys were getting started on food I started with plain rice pablum, then when pureed food was introduced they started on veggies. Some one said to me "When you start feeding your boy make sure you do fruit and things like sweet potatoes last. I made my own baby food for them all and followed the advice. When they were young if you offered them an apple to a candy bar they picked the apple 90% of the time. Now the other fact is where I live there are no fast food outlets is a factor in that they ate healthy and when we traveled they wanted to eat at places that served meals not fast food.

It was my responsibility to make sure my kids ate healthy and no one elses. I was very lucky that they loved things like stuffed green peppers and escargo. They love to try new foods even today when we pick a restaruant (when i visit them) it is to try something new.

They also love to gather their own food. They now come home to get fish and deer, enough for the year. They have dinner parties and they serve good food. People need to understand if you eat out of a box it is going to taste like cardboard.

The other big factor in young parents feeding their kids is economics. It costs less to feed your kid junk over good healthy food, so I guess until good food is cheaper then food in a box it is just going to continue.

Cheap shit food is cheap because its mostly made from things that the federal government gives farmers subsidies for - e.g. high fructose corn syrup and it's a lost less money consuming to make a box of synthetic crap than it is to grow, harvest and transport fresh fruit and vegetables to the supermarket

It also doesn't help that the TV commercials are now telling parents that some sugar loaded, diabetes causing cereal is "healthy" because it contains wholegrain or that chocolate cookies are healthy because they contain X amount of fibre .... who believes that shit? Makes my noggin want to explode

You mean to say that you too have been the intoxicated individual blubbering to your DD that you're having a situation critical "Mac Attack"? Say it isn't so Kiwi!

We have all been there...lol

On another note, I can see what the state was going for. I`m not saying I agree with it, but the government and health organizations have been telling everyone for years and years fast food in unhealthy and exercise is good but people never listened. So now they are trying a different approach. kinda like some of the laws that have been talked about for putting pictures of cancerous lungs and mouths on packs of cigarettes. That being said they should maybe put pictures up of a clogged artery or some other problems due to obesity but people may complain about them being too graphic to put on billboards. I still don`t agree with calling anyone ugly though.

We have all been there...lol

So now they are trying a different approach. kinda like some of the laws that have been talked about for putting pictures of cancerous lungs and mouths on packs of cigarettes.

In Mexico they are putting pictures like those described on cigarette packs. I can't tell that it has made any difference.

I disagree strongly with the idea. I disagree with smoking but respect their right to market a legal product. Industry discrimination is a slipery slope. If a product is legal it should have the same advertizing rights and privileges as all other legal products.

Who would they demonize next, Make Mc Donalds put pictures of obese people on their wrappers, or budweiser put pictures of mangled cars on their cans? Many will only agree with the demonization of cigarettes because it is not their industry that is being attacked.

I am a big advocate for personal responsibility and think that if allowed government will overstep their bounds.

• Like 1

In Mexico they are putting pictures like those described on cigarette packs. I can't tell that it has made any difference.

I disagree strongly with the idea. I disagree with smoking but respect their right to market a legal product. Industry discrimination is a slipery slope. If a product is legal it should have the same advertizing rights and privileges as all other legal products.

Who would they demonize next, Make Mc Donalds put pictures of obese people on their wrappers, or budweiser put pictures of mangled cars on their cans? Many will only agree with the demonization of cigarettes because it is not their industry that is being attacked.

I am a big advocate for personal responsibility and think that if allowed government will overstep their bounds.

I absolutely agree. I probably should have specified that I think it is an individuals responsibility to not consume or limit consumption of products that are unhealthy, or harmful to them.