Nice and Easy--Oh God, Why Won't He Stop Shaking?!

Bieber

no this

Wasn't it first reported on Rescue Me? Or was it Turd Watch?

no Doc, this study was presented in it's entireity right here at EMT City just in the past couple of days. We are now a research site too.

whoopeee!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to bump this topic up to figure out how this scenario proceeded. I'm a student looking to create some scenarios for group discussion and came across this. I was thinking about alternative causes of seizures and did some research (cheated) and found a probable cause. I don't want to just go ahead and blurt it out because I researched (cheated). So I will ask more questions to get a better picture. Was the mom able to elaborate more on the sickness and reason for the "Kef..." medication use? How recently was he put on this medication?

Edited by entity
  • Like 1

...I was thinking about alternative causes of seizures and did some research (cheated) and found a probable cause. I don't want to just go ahead and blurt it out because I researched (cheated)...

Revived a valuable, but forgotten thread? Researched so as to have some more, intelligent questions? Then chose not to ruin the thread with the researched answers?

Holy shit...that made my nipples hard. Your attitude shows what the City looks like when it's working right and firing on all cylinders.

+10 Brother...

Dwayne

Keflex! Contraindicated in folks with allergies to cillins! Cillin allergy. Cross reaction to Keflex, perhaps... and lookie there in my drug guide! Adverse reaction to Keflex that is bolded under CNS is seizure! I wondered... mom's hint seemed kind of obvious to me...

So this may be an allergic response or severe adverse reaction. Now, why was he taking it? Because we may have more than one horse here hanging out with yon zebra I may have just identified. URI? Progressed to meningitis perhaps? Or dehydration secondary to infection triggering his naturally occurring epilepsy...

(Do y'all know how long that takes to type with a broken hand?? Don't punch walls is all I have to say...)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Not specific to this case, but the cross reactivity between cillins and cephalosporins in pretty low. I use cephalosporins in people who are allergic to cillins all the time, unless they've had an anaphylactic reaction.

Dwayne, please don't scare away the new people with talk of your nipples hardening.

Holy shit...that made my nipples hard. Your attitude shows what the City looks like when it's working right and firing on all cylinders.

Dwayne, please don't scare away the new people with talk of your nipples hardening.

haha.. yep, scary to say the least :) but appreciate the kind words. Can't say I would have thought about drug interactions without looking it up -- but I'm in what will probably be a looooong learning phase.

Okay, so since drug interactions have been put out in the open already, I also decided to look up Benadryl.. apparently, it may increase the incidence of seizures for people with epilepsy.. but could not find any specific info on why and can't say it is coming from a necessarily credible source. [http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/provoke_otc]

WebMD lists seizures as a rare side-effect to Benadryl, but seizures are probably listed as a side-effect for a heckuva lotta drugs.

[http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-5680-Benadryl+Oral.aspx?drugid=5680&drugname=Benadryl+Oral]

So I guess my question to the mom would be, when did he start taking Benadryl and Keflex. Was the Benadryl suggested by a doctor (probably not?). And how much did he/does he take?