First time EMT-B carry on gear?

EMTDenny

And you know what Brother? Without new, intelligent, committed EMTs/Medics this site is nothing but a bunch of old fat guys and gals sitting around telling bullshit stories and losing track of what's coming down the road.

It's good to have you here, though I have to tell you I'm a little shocked by your attitude. It's terribly uncommon that we have a brand new EMT that wants to buy and do everything that doesn't either tell everyone to fuck off when they suggest they go slow, or just disappear outright. You're a bit of an anomaly. Thanks for being brave enough to participate, not just in the forums, but to the responses that you've been given.

Now, if you want to be a rockstar EMT....keep coming back. Be even braver still and get involved in the moral/ethical/medical discussions. Answer questions to the best of your ability and make sure that you help those that come after you to have the same bright, intelligent attitude.

I'm excited to hear your thoughts as you move forward...

Dwayne

Agreed. Though I hate your avatar pic. Not because it isn't cute, because it's cute as hell. (DFIB, not you doc. Though I'm not pretending that your pic doesn't make my nipples a little hard) But because it makes me think of a young kid, someone maybe just out of Basic...

All of your posts get my attention and have me really wanting to read every word. That's a gift. In fact, I love that we've got a bunch of regular posters now that are wicked strong, from all over the world, all walks of EMS at all different levels..I can't think of any time since I've been here that we've has so many really varried smart people at one time here and not have a single "my country/level/education/etc is better than yours" argument in....Man, I can really think of the last one.

And Doc, I can't even tell you how cool, and important, it is to see you here posting all the time now. You're a gift.

This is EMS at it's best in my eyes and my mind. I'm grateful that I'm allowed to participate.

Dwayne

Hey man thanks!! I know what you mean. I read other topics also and see people get easily pissed off when some one either disagree or tells them good advice. At this point, I am still learning and willing to take any advice I can get. Every one here sounds so smart about this stuff and is unbelievable and amazing. Like i said before, I hope someday I will be good enough to pass on great advice. But all in time. By the way of some stuff does not make sense sorry I am typing this stuff at work on my iPhone lol.

Edited by EMTB.Denny389

Thanks Dwayne. Always the encourager. I haven't been out of basic that long but I am getting on up there in age. It is an old fart camo avatar. I could change my avatar to something that is more stimulating to your areolar smooth muscle but I will leave that to the Doc and his Weiner Pics. :whistle:

The Avatar is kind of cute though. We were making a small first aid manual for some local classes and I needed a spacer picture for airway evaluation till my model could arrive from school. So I grabbed the mutt and took a picture. The pic with the airway model is soooo much better.

Dwayne is right ERDoc. I look forward to your post. I true learning experience every time.

Denny389 keep in school buddy. Basic is a good place to start but if you really like EMS keep going. The more you know the more rewarding it becomes.

• Like 1

Thanks Dwayne. Always the encourager. I haven't been out of basic that long but I am getting on up there in age. It is an old fart camo avatar. I could change my avatar to something that is more stimulating to your areolar smooth muscle but I will leave that to the Doc and his Weiner Pics. :whistle:

The Avatar is kind of cute though. We were making a small first aid manual for some local classes and I needed a spacer picture for airway evaluation till my model could arrive from school. So I grabbed the mutt and took a picture. The pic with the airway model is soooo much better.

Dwayne is right ERDoc. I look forward to your post. I true learning experience every time.

Denny389 keep in school buddy. Basic is a good place to start but if you really like EMS keep going. The more you know the more rewarding it becomes.

Thanks a lot!! WORDS OF WISDOM is all i read!!

And you know what Brother? Without new, intelligent, committed EMTs/Medics this site is nothing but a bunch of old fat guys and gals sitting around telling bullshit stories and losing track of what's coming down the road.

It's good to have you here, though I have to tell you I'm a little shocked by your attitude. It's terribly uncommon that we have a brand new EMT that wants to buy and do everything that doesn't either tell everyone to fuck off when they suggest they go slow, or just disappear outright. You're a bit of an anomaly. Thanks for being brave enough to participate, not just in the forums, but to the responses that you've been given.

Now, if you want to be a rockstar EMT....keep coming back. Be even braver still and get involved in the moral/ethical/medical discussions. Answer questions to the best of your ability and make sure that you help those that come after you to have the same bright, intelligent attitude.

I'm excited to hear your thoughts as you move forward...

Dwayne

Agreed. Though I hate your avatar pic. Not because it isn't cute, because it's cute as hell. (DFIB, not you doc. Though I'm not pretending that your pic doesn't make my nipples a little hard) But because it makes me think of a young kid, someone maybe just out of Basic...

All of your posts get my attention and have me really wanting to read every word. That's a gift. In fact, I love that we've got a bunch of regular posters now that are wicked strong, from all over the world, all walks of EMS at all different levels..I can't think of any time since I've been here that we've has so many really varried smart people at one time here and not have a single "my country/level/education/etc is better than yours" argument in....Man, I can really think of the last one.

And Doc, I can't even tell you how cool, and important, it is to see you here posting all the time now. You're a gift.

This is EMS at it's best in my eyes and my mind. I'm grateful that I'm allowed to participate.

Dwayne

Dwayne, I remember when you first came here. You asked many of the same questions. I also did the same on my arrival. some of the best advice in the past year has come from Dwayne. Even though Dwayne and I have had some monster disagreements I still count him as a cloase EMT city friend.

Thanks Ruff, though I not only think that you give my current posts to much credit, but my original posts as well.

A few years back I went back through some of my early posts, just to see where I had been, and if I'd made it anywhere...Good God!! Babs had to wrestle the cheese grater from my hands as shredding myself to death seemed the only appropriate punishment for the idiotic shit I subjected you all to.

These new posters? Man...after being around here, plus practicing for a few days, they still make me feel like a poser sometimes. They're awesome.

Thanks to all for participating. That's cool as hell.

And Denny, a last, for now, word of advice? If you follow the path of most energetic new providers that have come before you, we won't see you here any more after a few weeks. The glow wears off. Some folks are going to challenge you to think, and prove that you want to be a good provider, not just a provider, and you may get frustrated and quit.

Sometimes this place will piss you off, and other times it may be unfair, but staying here and participating truly will help you to stand out and away from the rest of the EMS sheep. That isn't always the easy way to be, but many of us here believe that it's morally and ethically the best. But staying will take commitment, and a plan.

(Speaking of which..it's time to rattle young Mr. Beiber's cage again...)

But I have faith in you Brother...You started out different, now lets see if you have the balls to continue the same way.

Dwayne

• Like 1

I sensed a disturbance in the force, and now I know why. You've been talking about me, Dwayne!

As for the OP, do what you think is best. Take your time to make the decision, and consider the pros and cons to carrying any sort of first aid/medical equipment with you. There's plenty of both. Personally, my cell phone is the only thing I keep on me when I'm not at work, and that's honestly always been more than enough. I don't even hardly ever use the basic trauma supplies (4x4s, trauma dressings, etc) when I'm AT work, so I doubt they'd ever see use off duty. You may find that your views about carrying equipment off duty change over time, and you've got your whole career to tweak how you do things both on and off duty, so if you just want to experiment--do it! Test the waters both on and off the clock and see what feels right to you.

-Bieber

• Like 2

My suggestion for stuff to carry on your person

1 pair trauma shears

1 pen

1 back up pen

1 black Sharpie (Used for more things than you might imagine)

1 small notepad (pocket size)

1 pair sunglasses and a way to store them on your person

1 glove pouch with gloves

1 stethoscope

1 pen light

1 watch with second hand

1 pocket knife, preferably serrated, and easily opened

1 squirt bottle off hand sanitizer, pocket sized

1 duty belt that fits over normal belt and can easily be fastened/removed

1 pack breath mints or gum (to be used or offered discreetly to partner)

1 roll adhesive tape (if you can find the cotter pin assembly for a trailer hitch of the appropriate size, these work great to attach a roll of tape to your belt)

1 cheap cell phone that you won't cry about losing/having run over/getting some sort of body fluid on and has big stupid numbered keys to mash quickly. If you bring your iPhone don't come crying to me later. You might want to invest in a prepaid phone just for this purpose.

1 pair goggles and a way to store them on your person

1 radio (I mean bring your radio with you from the station. Don't go buy one.)

1 pair sturdy boots. I like the kind with a zipper on the side.

1 pocket sized protocol and/or field guide. If you keep looking at it then you might need to review a little more often.

For in the truck:

A water bottle. The bigger the better. Fill it only from trusted sources.

Some snacks. Nothing smelly.

Inclement weather and PPE should be provided. Jump packs and what is stored in them are generally in your outfit's SOPs. This list is what I've found useful in an urban/suburban environment. If you work in the great outdoors you might need things like bug spray, suntan lotion, bear mace, etc.

Edited by Asysin2leads
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.