First time EMT-B carry on gear?

EMTDenny

This Thread has become very interesting!!. It's a hot topic!! lol Once again Amazing things you guys have to say and I am loving every reply and learning from it. Hopefully I would be able to give advice to others like you guys are giving me.

Ruffems - I bought my pulse ox on Amazon. No Rx required. A lot of folks with COPD are using them at home now.

As far as carrying extra gear in my personal vehicle, any accident I see will invariably be 25 - 30 minutes before the ambulance arrives. Some of the equipment isn't mine but the local EMT school lets me carry it when I travel (KED, Splints)My jump bag is pretty basic kind of like UglyEMT's. Local LEO always want to help but have no EMS training so it is good to have someone around that can help them "not hurt the patient" with good intentions.

I don't think any of you guys are mackin' on the ones that do carry gear. Everyone’s situation is different, call times, transport times and community expectation change by region and environment.

If I roll up on a MVC and someone is already "working" the scene I try to get a verbal transfer report if I am a higher level of training. If the first responder is a medic I will try to get him to hang around and help. This is highly unlikely. The closest EMT-I is probably at least 800 miles from my AO.

I don't automatically think the first responder is a tool, especially if he has invested in his own gear. He may prove me wrong but I try to give the benefit of the doubt.

I am now better informed than I was earlier today.

I am also not belittling those who stop nor those who don't stop. I also am not belittling those who carry a separate ambulance in their trunk.

I just choose not to do so.

In my opinion it's ok not to stop at a scene. I also think that it's totally ok for you to stop.

You have to be the one to make the decision.

Keep asking these questions.

To be fair, if you're in Vermont or Minnesota there is a legal requirement that you stop to render aid and/or call for help if you witness an incident. But in the other 48 states there is no legal requirement to do so if you're not on duty.

As Ruff mentioned, you may determine you have a moral obligation to stop. But that's on you.

Seriously I don't know what I would have done if this site was not available to new EMT!! Amazing responses you guys are telling me and making me think twice before I do anything dumb!! I am taking all these tips and advice into considerations....

And you know what Brother? Without new, intelligent, committed EMTs/Medics this site is nothing but a bunch of old fat guys and gals sitting around telling bullshit stories and losing track of what's coming down the road.

It's good to have you here, though I have to tell you I'm a little shocked by your attitude. It's terribly uncommon that we have a brand new EMT that wants to buy and do everything that doesn't either tell everyone to fuck off when they suggest they go slow, or just disappear outright. You're a bit of an anomaly. Thanks for being brave enough to participate, not just in the forums, but to the responses that you've been given.

Now, if you want to be a rockstar EMT....keep coming back. Be even braver still and get involved in the moral/ethical/medical discussions. Answer questions to the best of your ability and make sure that you help those that come after you to have the same bright, intelligent attitude.

I'm excited to hear your thoughts as you move forward...

Dwayne

OK, you seem to bring a unique perspective on things (I mean that in a good way) and that would explain it.

Agreed. Though I hate your avatar pic. Not because it isn't cute, because it's cute as hell. (DFIB, not you doc. Though I'm not pretending that your pic doesn't make my nipples a little hard) But because it makes me think of a young kid, someone maybe just out of Basic...

All of your posts get my attention and have me really wanting to read every word. That's a gift. In fact, I love that we've got a bunch of regular posters now that are wicked strong, from all over the world, all walks of EMS at all different levels..I can't think of any time since I've been here that we've has so many really varried smart people at one time here and not have a single "my country/level/education/etc is better than yours" argument in....Man, I can really think of the last one.

And Doc, I can't even tell you how cool, and important, it is to see you here posting all the time now. You're a gift.

This is EMS at it's best in my eyes and my mind. I'm grateful that I'm allowed to participate.

Dwayne

• Like 1

Wow, is anyone else singing Kumbyya? Thanks Dwayne. I'll admit, I'm here for personal satisfaction. I miss being out on the road. Where I am at now, there are zero opportunities to interact with EMS, except when they bring in a pt. I think of being here as my way of staying in the field and giving back. I agree, there are some awesome people here and the multinational flavor is cool too (though I think we are a bit heavy on the Ausies and Cannucks, lol). As much as we bash them, I still think the vollies are awesome to have here too. We can educate them (generally the ones that stick around want to learn) and I know more than once it has made me look something up when they ask questions. I also have a personal soft-spot for the New Yorkers that come around.

As for my picture, I never thought the pecs of a NYS representative would get so much attention. Maybe I'll have to find a similar picture of one of our senators. I hear Schumer has nipples of steel.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.