First time EMT-B carry on gear?

EMTDenny

Asysin I love your comment on the Iphone one lol made me laugh! lol

EMTDON Just keep it short and simple huh lol Easiest one to read yet! lol Thanks!

• Like 1

I use to carry 3 note pads, 3 pens, pen light, big and small trauma shears, "bitch be nice" gloves AKA lifting/aggressive patient gloves, hand sanitizer (purel), multi-tool, glove pouch, keyring clip w/ portable oxygen key, 2 rolls of tape. I also had some flushes on me. They became weapons when RN's wanted to be funny...lol....and on a serious note, if a medic needed a flush and didn't want to dig through the IV kit, I had it covered.....and my portable radio, and of course cell phone.

I have been out of EMS a year due to my girlfriend's health and my back now being jacked up from a former partner that couldn't lift worth a damn. Hopefully in 6 months I'll be back in the game.....

So much for easy reading..lol :punk:

Edited by EMTDON279

Not a terrible list asys, but why a duty belt? I personally wear a 5.11 trainer or operator as my pants belt and get the best of both worlds. And the tape on a cotter pin screams whacker, in my 8 years on the job I have never once needed tape with out any sort of bandaging thus never saw the need to carry it on my person. But if needed I have found a roll of tape on the ear bows of my steth works sufficently This kinda goes along with carrying flushes. Doing so enables your medic. If it is a needed item for that provider, it belongs on their person not on a rookie. When I started, I fell into the trap of Galls mania, ebayed my butt off to make a pristine car kit, and carried my weight in crap to the point my bdu pockets were as bloated as Donald Trumps ego. Now its: phone in otterbox case, keys, wallet, steth, sunglasses/safety glasses, gum, 2 pens and a powerbar.

FIREMAN1037

Not a terrible list asys, but why a duty belt?

The reason I wear a duty belt is so that the outer belt with my phone, radio clip and shears can get left on the mirror of the truck when I try to get some shut-eye. It's a comfort thing, the more I have on my belt, the less I have on my person when I'm resting.

Fireman 1037, like I said before, my list is what I used for urban/suburban response. If your area's needs are different, then you probably need other things and maybe not some of the same stuff I suggested. The duty belt works because I like to have a normal belt on for a neat appearance, and as wolfmanHarris pointed out, its a lot more comfortable to slip on and off when its not needed. In addition with a little practice you can slip it off and around a pair of turnout gear, rain gear or other PPE when necessary. I personally went through a roll of adhesive tape almost every other week. I used it for everything from making a label on an IV bag to securing two lines together to holding a tube in place. If your service is nice enough to provide purpose built equipment for everything, then its probably redundant. I tried putting adhesive tape on my steth but I liked the 2 inch kind better and that was a little two big. Plus it doesn't look as sexy. But if you need a lot of adhesive tape like I did I found the cotter pin set up worked really well once you got over the similarities in appearance to a roll of toilet paper.

Edited by Asysin2leads

Yeah, man, tape is the bomb. I carried a couple of rolls on my and asked my partner to keep it with him. It seems that you're buried in rolls of tape, until you need it, and then suddenly it's transported to another dimension or something...

A pocket mask and some gloves.. maybe a handfull of 4x4's, a roll of tape, and a few gauze rolls. A fluffy wool blanket helps too.

Edited by 2c4

Hey, I was with you on the two pens and a Sharpie. I like Listerine strips but I found they're so small they fall to the bottom of my pocket and then I look like an idiot trying to find them. A nice blister pack of Dentyne ice is my preferred breath freshener. Wrigley's Five is good too. Cinnaburst was good too but its hard to find. As you can see I chew a lot of gum.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.