First time EMT-B carry on gear?

EMTDenny

Plus, aren't pulse oximeters consider medical equipment and you need a Dr. Order to buy one? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

Let me ask the collective hive here. What do you think of the EMT or Medic who stops on scene to help the person, you arrive and are met by said EMT who has put the patient on oxygen and a pulse ox. Seriously, what are your initial thoughts about this person on scene?

I've been on both sides of the coin. More often on the negative response from the arriving ambulance than good.

Was told by a fireman who was the only guy to get on scene in a fire truck. Ambulance and other trucks still on the way. Rollover accident on the interstate. Three patients, three ejections, 2 of three critical. The guy tells me, "You can leave now, I've got it" I told him I wasn't leaving. He got pissy, said I'm the shift captain and I'm in charge. I said fine, are you a medic or EMT? He said emt. I said I'm a medic, I've already begun treating these people, they are your patients but I'm the highest medical person on scene so they are mine until your ambulance gets here.

First arriving law enforcement officer arrives, the fireman tells him to remove me from the scene. I told the cop the same thing and the cop said I could stay. When the ambulance got there I gave them report and they said thanks. I did tell the medic as we were loading one into the ambulance that the captain tried to force me off the scene and the medic said "The guys a tool. He's the last person I would want treating my dog" or something to that effect. I sent a letter to the fire department but I never received a response.

I also had a great response from a small ambulance service when our ambulance stopped at a bad crash. We initiated treatment, resuscitation as a matter of fact. Ejected patient with significant head injury. Crash just happened. We had patient intubated and worked the patient until the responding ambulance arrived. Got a letter of thanks to my EMS Supervisor for the help on that one.

But seriously, think about what your response would be to the off duty emt or medic, out of their jurisdiction helping out by putting Oxygen and a pulse ox on the patient? I'm sure viscerally it's a negative one.

• Like 1

Seriously, do yourself a favour; wait. Give yourself a year minimum in the field, maybe even two to gain some perspective. You can dump a tonne of money into this stuff unnecessarily. Truly consider how you can best help someone off-duty and you'll realize the most useful things you can provide are a good 911 call, a calm presence, a blanket and nothing more complicated than you'd find in the average first aid kit.

Seriously I don't know what I would have done if this site was not available to new EMT!! Amazing responses you guys are telling me and making me think twice before I do anything dumb!! I am taking all these tips and advice into considerations. Keep em coming!!! Thanks

• Like 1

Seriously I don't know what I would have done if this site was not available to new EMT!! Amazing responses you guys are telling me and making me think twice before I do anything dumb!! I am taking all these tips and advice into considerations. Keep em coming!!! Thanks

We honestly wish nothing but the best for you. We all come from various experience levels and we all remember what a feeling it was when we were at your stage of your career.

Just slow down, learn everything you can and listen to most of the advice here.

Remember, just because you don't have a fully equipped star wars transport vessel doesn't mean it's not going to be there when you have some experience under your belt. Just remember, they will always be making better toys and the ones you have today will be obsolete by the end of a year of you working. You can always upgrade to Trauma shears 1.12.22.123.43 over version 1.12.123.42

Seriously, do yourself a favour; wait. Give yourself a year minimum in the field, maybe even two to gain some perspective. You can dump a tonne of money into this stuff unnecessarily. Truly consider how you can best help someone off-duty and you'll realize the most useful things you can provide are a good 911 call, a calm presence, a blanket and nothing more complicated than you'd find in the average first aid kit.

Absolutely!

I don`t want talk the people down who carry jumpbags and the like in there cars, though.

Personally, I just don`t see the necessity for me, but maybe you guys are more enthusiastic than me.

At work, where I have all the material, I do my thing, and the patient gets it all, but if I`m driving around and stop to give FIRST AID - I`m only giving first aid and wait for the ambo or my colleagues to arrive to do the fancy stuff. And honestly - they don`t pay me enough, for me to be willing to purchase all that equipment (would I be willing).

This may get me on the wrong site with some around here - but after all, it`s just a job. And just because I can use a defi and know how to handle all this equipment, doesn`t mean I have to carry it around privately only because I may meet someone who could need that -> that`s what`s the ambos for, and that`s what I get paid for when I`m sitting on that truck.

Again, I`m not critizising those of you who have the motivation to do this, just my point.

I carry a jump kit thats pretty basic so it might give you a good starting point. I have used everything it it from time to time on scene when I pulled over off-duty.

4x4s, 2x2's, some roll gauze, band-aids,tape, one or two trauma dressings (some car accidents have big bleeders) a SAM splint, a couple of crevats, several pairs of gloves (amazed how many times a cop asks for a pair to help out),shears, a BP cuff, scope, I personally carry an airway kit because I needed one once and didn't have it so I have added it, a tube of glucose a pad and pen and finally an adjustable collar. Don't forget a rescue blanket. Sometimes I carry ice packs and heat packs if I remember to restock them after use. Anything more is overkill and the rig responding will surely have it. Its just in a samll bag with a star of life on it. It really is basic considering what I have seen some folks pull out of their trunk.

I think of it this way, what are you going to see on the side of the road? MVA so the collar and bleeding control is handy same for the SAM, blanket and ice pack. Possible cardiac related so having your scope and cuff beyond that pray for a quick response from the rig. Possible diabetic emergency so there is your glucose. Beyond that anything else probably wont be getting used.

Almost forgot my reflective vest with EMS on it. Just want to be safe LOL

As for how to act on scene, the same way you would on duty. Calm, collected, polite. When the LEO arrives or the rig gets there give your report the same as you would to the ED Nurse (well maybe just identify yourself to the LEO). If you get a hot shot its my scene kind of person just let them know your level of training and explain why (politely) you are going to stay with the patient until higher care arrives.

As for what to carry on your person. Scope, shears, pens, pad, reference guide if your so inclined. I also carry a small flash light (about 2 inches long runs on a AAA). I do carry a pen light because it always seems like the one in the bag is dead or dying. In the winter I do add a pair of Mechanics Gloves just so my hands stay warm and don't stick to the stretcher. I have had my PPE gloves stick and rip so I usually just pull them off switch to the gloves for the lift then reapply fresh PPEs. (Im wierd so take that with a grain of salt if you like). As far as the cargo pockets, it has been said good for the wrappers and stuff to keep your area and even the back of the rig clean and clear (please nothing with blood or fluids on them). Keep it light and remember the rig should have it if you need it.

Hope this helps and welcome to our little world here.

Edited by UGLyEMT
  • Like 1

Don't spend the money on the expensive electronics. They will be of no use. If your job/dept gives them to you, that's a different story. As was said, stethoscope, trauma shears, basic first aid supplies and you are set.

• Like 1

I don`t want talk the people down who carry jumpbags and the like in there cars, though.

Personally, I just don`t see the necessity for me, but maybe you guys are more enthusiastic than me.

I hope I didn't come across as trashing those who carry gear, because aside from some of the exceptions we've discussed previously (the Zombie guy with the STOMP pack) I don't have an issue. My point was coming mainly as someone who's only been on the road for 2.5 years and who recently went through the surf the galls site phase. It's just part of the enthusiastic, keener new period of the profession. Heck I'm still regarded as a keener at work, but thankfully now because I'm the guy to go to if you want to know about the latest research, the newest standard or the CME package that was just released; rather than the stuff on my belt (minus my bigshears, those are a conversation starter). I'm glad I didn't blow the money I considered spending two years ago on stuff I'd never use and don't regret for a second spending the money on a good stethoscope, my big shears, some new textbooks and a subscription to Prehospital Emergency Care. Now if I see cool "gee whiz" gear, I forward it to the equipment committee at work and hope for the best. It'll get used on the truck, it won't in my car.

Almost forgot my reflective vest with EMS on it. Just want to be safe LOL

Definitely worth buying if your work doesn't issue them personally. Not just for if you stop and help, but if you need to change a tire. With me not bothering to take my gear bag out of my car between shifts, I do always have this handy and I keep the one I bought as a student in my wife's car for her.

You didn`t come across as if you were trashing those who carry gear, dude. I just wanted to make clear that I`m neither doing that. ;)

As for the vests. Since a few years, we have to carry them in cars permanently, before that, only truck drivers and cars used for business of some sort needed to have one in it .

We get vests from work, though since we have our normal jackets with the reflection stripes and extra jackets in the car (mainly used for rainy weather since they are thicker), I`ve never used the small one. It`s still shrink-wrapped.

Edited by Vorenus

Ruffems - I bought my pulse ox on Amazon. No Rx required. A lot of folks with COPD are using them at home now.

As far as carrying extra gear in my personal vehicle, any accident I see will invariably be 25 - 30 minutes before the ambulance arrives. Some of the equipment isn't mine but the local EMT school lets me carry it when I travel (KED, Splints)My jump bag is pretty basic kind of like UglyEMT's. Local LEO always want to help but have no EMS training so it is good to have someone around that can help them "not hurt the patient" with good intentions.

I don't think any of you guys are mackin' on the ones that do carry gear. Everyone’s situation is different, call times, transport times and community expectation change by region and environment.

If I roll up on a MVC and someone is already "working" the scene I try to get a verbal transfer report if I am a higher level of training. If the first responder is a medic I will try to get him to hang around and help. This is highly unlikely. The closest EMT-I is probably at least 800 miles from my AO.

I don't automatically think the first responder is a tool, especially if he has invested in his own gear. He may prove me wrong but I try to give the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.