Get the rythm...

Vorenus

Man, not my experience often enough to get anywhere near a stereotype. I once came on scene, not my call, just came as backup when I heard the crew call in that CPR was in progress, to see a fireman doing CPR one handed, and not good at that...while yacking with another....Making sure that all of the badge bunnies saw that he did this so well, and so often, that he could practically call it in over the phone.

Pissed me off right away, this whole, 'hero pose', but before I could say anything the medic on the call said, 'I"m sorry, are you tired? Would you like a nap? Why don't I get someone to replace you until you're rested enough to do actual CPR.' and then asked for him to be replaced by the next person, that, being less heroic in nature found that they needed two hands to do compressions properly.

Yeah, he wasn't a happy camper. And I'm confident he spent the rest of the night explaining to his buddies how the stupid 'Paragod' got in the way of him saving lives. ("Probably could have saved 'em if he'd just let me do it my way....")

I'm not a huge fan of calling people out on scene..but in this case it was warranted, in my opinion, not to mention an excellent learning opportunity for the volunteers on scene.

Dwayne

Dwayne and Systemet - I read the quote in dwayne's signature. Rock on. It's completely true.

Man, not my experience often enough to get anywhere near a stereotype. I once came on scene, not my call, just came as backup when I heard the crew call in that CPR was in progress, to see a fireman doing CPR one handed, and not good at that...while yacking with another....Making sure that all of the badge bunnies saw that he did this so well, and so often, that he could practically call it in over the phone.

I've definitely had quite the opposite experience thus far. The fire crews I've dealt with have consistently done good quality CPR (both volunteer and professional alike).

I've definitely had quite the opposite experience thus far. The fire crews I've dealt with have consistently done good quality CPR (both volunteer and professional alike).

I thought fire didn't respond on EMS calls in Canada?

Dwayne

Oh Dwayne... They so respond on calls and for the most part we have the same problems you do, it does depend on the crew and place. I have worked with some amazing firefighters but not as a rule.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This starts out with, "So...this one time...in band camp..." Just kidding.

However, we were teaching a group of high school students (15-18 yo) CPR. And, my partner begins to tell them about the "Staying Alive" song to help them keep the beat. Talk about your deer in the headlight look. But, wait...it gets better.

I'm now trying to give them the connection. "You know, The Bee Gees." --> Crickets

"Saturday Night Live?" "John Travolta" :bonk:

You really would have thought I was speaking Greek.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.