Fire Station Shooting (Prank?) - Why you would choose a shooting as a prank is beyond me...

Chief1C

This prank was way over the edge, but hazing is part of coming up in the fire house, if you take it away, you will destroy the commroderie that it later produces. I do not condone any activity that puts someone in harm's way, but simple practical jokes and hazing are great stress relief. We used to cellophane the urinals, so when the EMS alarm woke the firefighters at 3am and they got up to pee, they would end up wetting their legs.

This prank was way over the edge, but hazing is part of coming up in the fire house, if you take it away, you will destroy the commroderie that it later produces. I do not condone any activity that puts someone in harm's way, but simple practical jokes and hazing are great stress relief. We used to cellophane the urinals, so when the EMS alarm woke the firefighters at 3am and they got up to pee, they would end up wetting their legs.

True Dat Crotchity. I'm all for pranks that do not injure or hurt people. My being on the end of a nasty prank has been well documented here and that's the type of prank that I do not condone.

Minor pranks, they are part of the lifestyle of EMS/Fire/police

One prank I pulled on a new guy at the movie theater that I managed. I told the new guy (dumber than a box of rocks) that he had to inspect every kernel of unpopped popcorn for a dark spot in the middle of the kernel. I told him he had to do it on every kernel or it would make people sick.

I sent him to the supply closet and told him to go through the 50 pound bag of popcorn. We weren't busy that day, so he spent 2 hours in the room before I felt sorry for him so we all went back to get him.

He had made it through about 20 pounds of the popcorn. He was pissed but you know what, he became one of my best closers. Very meticulous. I promoted him to head usher about a year into his stint. He now manages one of the big theater chains theaters in Kansas city.

He still keeps in touch and says that he will eventually get back at me. that was 20 years ago.

Lol.

Buddy of mine and me told a chick in our Paramedic course how to treat a Tawara-branch-fracture! (In german "branch" is more like associated with thigh, so it sounded more realistic).

She believed us to a hundred percent and some weeks after that asked our teacher in class wether he could go through the specifics of tawara-branch-fractures again! :bonk:

(To be honest, she was neither one of the best nor the smartest in class :whistle: )

I don't think I appreciate the humour. I could make up a story about emission lines and throw in some bogus equations and you may believe me and come away with a false understanding of chemistry. Does this make you dim witted? It's easy to say somebody isn't bright when you are on top of a jok, not so easy when you are on the receiving end. Also, we potentially have providers with incorrect notions taking care of patients.

I don't think I appreciate the humour. I could make up a story about emission lines and throw in some bogus equations and you may believe me and come away with a false understanding of chemistry. Does this make you dim witted? It's easy to say somebody isn't bright when you are on top of a jok, not so easy when you are on the receiving end. Also, we potentially have providers with incorrect notions taking care of patients.

The funny side was, that just at that time, we were going through the anatomy of the heart, and we were standing there, making that (really old) joke about tawara-branch-fractures (in the first instance not to fool her around, she was just standing there coincidentally) and she was asking questions about that Fx, wondering, why she never heard about it.

So we just spun a tale about it, but with real obvious sarcasm. Turned out, she took our words, though.

Hm... I`m guessing this sounds really mean when you weren`t there, but it honestly was just a laugh and she wasn`t mad at us, or anything.

Must be pretty uptight where you work paramedic mike, are you allowed to tell jokes, or watch TV ?

Sorry, but EEO has come down pretty hard in the humor area. No jokes. Ever. Same thing with TV. Someone might take offense.

I worked at a company for a couple of months, where you were only allowed to watch TV in the night shifts. Know of a couple of other stations around here that have this policy.

At my station - TV most likely runs 24/7 as long as there`s someone around. ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.