Wow, They have hired TWO females in 40 YEARS

crotchitymedic1986

http://www2.jcfloridan.com/news/2011/sep/04/first-female-firefighter-1970s-hired-ar-2356765/

Interesting statistics, I wonder how EMS women would answer:

Women firefighters also report being harassed by fellow male firefighters. The “National Report Card” study found that 50.8 percent of women survey participants reported being shunned, 30.2 percent reported receiving sexual advances and 18.6 reported being hazed by fellow firefighters, among other things.

Wow, this is an AMAZING story taking place in Marianna, Florida....which happens to be a very rural county.

So rural in fact that the 2004 Census shows the population to be 6,200 with a household count of 2,398. The median income in the area is 23,861 per year.

Ironically, the salary for firefighter is just a hair under 24K per year as well!

Now we are talking about a fire department which "in 1999, expanded to include BLS" in all services provided. WOW, BLS finally!

This fire department which has ONLY 18 full timers and 5 part timers "FINALLY" hired a second female (and part time only if you read article).

I could not find when the department went paid status but I imagine it was in early 2000s most likely...look at their numbers!

They have 5 people on duty per shift, they have 2 pumpers, 1 55ft aerial and 1 QRV.

In 2010, they only ran 1,383 calls---1,050 of which were medical.

I think the odds of this department hiring ANYONE is news, much less the gender. This is the kind of job where people become employed and never leave.

There really is nothing worthy of discussing here as it is a local news story trying to get more PR bragging about adding a female to the part time roster. What do you expect from an area with 6K people???

Regarding the National Report Card Study and using the statistics quoted in the article, of 310,00 EMPLOYED firefighters this means there are 10,836 females employed.

The National Report Card was based on 675 surveys which were returned and only 175 of those were female returns.

Feel free to extrapolate and make the numbers work for or against whichever position you take.

Have to take exception AK, even in the smallest hick town, the populations tend to run 45-55% female. We had the same BS here in a suburb of Atlanta; it was a hospital run EMS - turned county service, with a female director, who absolutely refused to hire women. Thank God she finally died, now maybe the neanderthals will come up into this century. I can't believe you would defend the attitude of "those pretty little women don't want to do work where they might break a nail, they are far better off at home chained to our beds".

Have to take exception AK, even in the smallest hick town, the populations tend to run 45-55% female. We had the same BS here in a suburb of Atlanta; it was a hospital run EMS - turned county service, with a female director, who absolutely refused to hire women. Thank God she finally died, now maybe the neanderthals will come up into this century. I can't believe you would defend the attitude of "those pretty little women don't want to do work where they might break a nail, they are far better off at home chained to our beds".

Huh? Where did I defend anything against women?

What I did was expose the actual numbers crotchity was trying to stir debate about...the story loses relevance when you find out it is a 18 member paid department and the second woman hired is only part time. This isn't like a 1000 member department which has been paid for 80 years only hiring 2 women in its existence.

I think you misunderstood my post in its entirety.

To respond directly to the thread title: WOW- they may have been the only 2 people who applied in 40 years!

This article means nothing, unless they include how many qualified female applicants they processed, and how many total positions were filled during that time.

Then again, I guess it's much more fun and inflammatory to imply that some type of bias existed here, but no bias means nobody gets a lotto payout.

Good luck to this FF in her career and I hope she stays safe!

My left arm for the dislike button.

The world is not a conspiracy crotch, your just a fool, a fool who is as racist and as discrimminating as the people you accuse.

Instead of whinging here what exactly are you doing to improve the situation? or are you another one of those dropkicks complaining that the "white man got you down"

Your like that gay guy on tv, waving your banner yelling out how you want recognition for being gay, when the truth is no one give a shit if your gay, catholic, female, black or a fricking jedi.

The only one with problem with skin color here dude, is you.

Edited by BushyFromOz

Do you guys really believe that only 2 women have applied in 40 years ? Come on, really ? Really ? Really ? White people are amazing in the lengths they will go to cover up their discrimination.

Or the converse of that- although I will put a qualifier in there: (SOME) Black people will go to great lengths to find discrimination in EVERYTHING.

Got any facts there was discrimination? Have any data of all the women who were discriminated against? Any first hand accounts? Sworn statements? Newspaper articles? EEOC lawsuits? Class action suits? Court decisions or awards for damages? Rumors? Gossip, maybe?

No?

\\\Dismissed.

Got any facts there was discrimination?

NAh man, he dont need that stuff - it might not work out in his little fantasy land where he is the centre of some kind of sexual racial gloab conspiracy and he is the only voice of reason left on the planet. :mad: