Proper Use of Stair Chair

Look at the date of his post.

Thanks, I thought he had resurrected but it was only the thread.

• 1 year later...

I hear that sometimes, but i still use the handles. I have one stairchair with a broken handle, rivet area cracked and the plastic grip slides off. Ferno washington model 40 iirc.. Sure grabbing the frame is most reliable, but it boils down to checking your equipment before use.

I hear that sometimes, but i still use the handles. I have one stairchair with a broken handle, rivet area cracked and the plastic grip slides off. Ferno washington model 40 iirc.. Sure grabbing the frame is most reliable, but it boils down to checking your equipment before use.

I'm not trying to put you down but just wanted to ask if the equipment is broken, why are you not putting it out of service?

I'm not trying to put you down but just wanted to ask if the equipment is broken, why are you not putting it out of service?

If you use a piece of equipment that is broken and a patient is injured then can't you be held liable for that patients injury. If you knew it was broken and you didn't remove it from service that's tantamount to causing that patients injury.

If a piece of equipment is broken on my truck, I will pull that piece of equipment and get a replacement. If theres not one to be had then I'll take the ambulance out of service. Murphy's Law which really does apply to EMS will come visit you when you least expect it and his next visit will be when you need that piece of broken equipment. And if it's a stair chair, the next call you have once you realize the stair chair is broken is the tenement housing building that has 9 flights of stairs with no elevators and it's just you and your partner and NO OTHER HELP, and when you get down the 2nd flight of stairs the chair will finally give up the ghost leaving you with a broken chair and then what?

"OK ma'am. I'm going to need you to do what I do. We are going to slide down the remaining 7 flights on out butts. My partner will be holding you O2 take, IV bag and cardiac monitor."

EDIT: From what he describes, it sounds like an acceptable work-around but you know if something happens, even if it has nothing to do with the broken equipment, it will be cited in the lawsuit as the source of the problem. He's in NYC so you know it will be a lawsuit.

Edited by ERDoc

"OK ma'am. I'm going to need you to do what I do. We are going to slide down the remaining 7 flights on out butts. My partner will be holding you O2 take, IV bag and cardiac monitor."

EDIT: From what he describes, it sounds like an acceptable work-around but you know if something happens, even if it has nothing to do with the broken equipment, it will be cited in the lawsuit as the source of the problem. He's in NYC so you know it will be a lawsuit.

Yeah, nothing gets by the great citizens of New York City. If they are even slightly offended there is a trip to the attorney's office to see if they can file a lawsuit. There is a reason why in the yellow pages the number of pages for attorneys is three times the number of pages for doctors.

You know people get so offended at such little things these days. They just get butthurt over such little things. comments, looks, glares and mis-steps, just jump from "oh, you did that and I'm not happy" to "I'm so offended that I'm going to sue your ass in court or I'm going to post it on facebook how bad you have offended me" and then there's the jumping to the other end to road rage or nasty letters left in mailboxes or just going and getting your gun and ending the offense right then and there.

just take a chill pill, step back and take a deep breath and sit down and drink a beer.