Proper Use of Stair Chair

I've been an EMT for 33 years and an instructor for 25. I recently began teaching for a new organization and I've noted several instructors advising students that "lifting handles" on the standard Ferno stair chair were not made for lifting, have a tendency to brake off, and should not be used for lifting, i.e. only the frame should be used for lifting. One instructor even went as far as to say that the rubber grips have a tendency to slide off.

In all my years I've never seen a chair fail in this manner nor have I ever heard of this being an issue.

Could it be I've been doing it wrong all of these years ? Why do they term them lifting handles ?

I'm the new "kid" on the block ad don't want to get a reputation as a know it all unless I can back up what I say with some bona fide documentation.

I've seen no documentation from anyone.

Does anyone know if there is in fact a recommendation from Ferno, or any other manufacturer that these handles should not be used for lifting ? Seems to me they'd put a warning label on the chair.

Also seems to me that using the lower frame rail for lifting is inviting disaster some where along the line in terms of a few lost fingers.

• Like 1

This might be a question to ask Ferno directly. While I'm pretty confident that most people will report experiences in line with yours it'll all be anecdotal. If you want to take documentation of some sort Ferno should be able to supply that for you.

In all my years I've never seen a user's manual or any type of documentation for those chairs. Sorry I can't help with that.

Good luck.

I can not speak to your recent experiences, as I have never heard of those problems, but one thing that I can speak to, is that most of us use the chair wrong. I remember watching the "video" that came with a new chair, and it showed the medics not facing each other as the went up a flight of steps. The medic at the top used the upper handles but did it behind his back as he walked up the stairs, the other medic grabbed the foot handles and faced "up" the stairs as well. They reversed position going down, with the foot medic facing forward and the top medic facing forward as well. I had always used it with both medics facing each other.

As far as the instructor goes, I can not imagine that Ferno engineered handles that are not supposed to be used, and I think not using the handles would be more dangerous as your hands would slip on the frame. He probably worked for some rinky-dink volunteer organization that had a 20 year old stair chair that was not stored/cared for properly.

• Like 1

Carry chairs have a design life of between 10 and 15 years assuming they are serviced ( 6 monthly or annually as dictated by the manufacturer) ...

i've never seen the method described by crotchity for use with a normal carry chair although some of the more elaborate ones or ones that are also DIN stretcher tops can be used in that way, ditto with carrying folding / furley stretchers

We tend to use the handles on top more for guiding the chair. The flippy handles on the bottom are taped on ours as it gets in the way and I have almost lost a finger. Im thinking back and we use the frame more that the handles for the lifting but it isn't because things have broken but because it is more compfortable to lift by the frame.

Not sure what type of chair you are referring to, but we have used the same type for the entire nearly 25 years at my current job.

The bottom lifting handles are essentially useless in my opinion. Poor design, and I never use them. If I am on the bottom, I always grab the bottom frame of the chair- on either side of the patient's feet. The top handles do not move, so they are not generally a problem, but for better leverage, I grab the frame on the top as well..

Anecdotally, yes, those rubber handles DO tend to work themselves loose over time. which can make using them dangerous, but obviously it depends on how often you use the device.

I can not speak to your recent experiences, as I have never heard of those problems, but one thing that I can speak to, is that most of us use the chair wrong. I remember watching the "video" that came with a new chair, and it showed the medics not facing each other as the went up a flight of steps. The medic at the top used the upper handles but did it behind his back as he walked up the stairs, the other medic grabbed the foot handles and faced "up" the stairs as well. They reversed position going down, with the foot medic facing forward and the top medic facing forward as well. I had always used it with both medics facing each other.

:wtf:

Why would you do that?

@crazydoc: Could you classify what chair you are exactly reffering to?

When it comes to the rubber handles, the most annoying thing is, that they tend to rotate around the handle. When you have rubber handles which are modelled to fit into your fingers when gripping the handle, this is more than uncomfortable (and slippery!).

• 5 months later...

We used to use the ferns chairs. I was certified by a ferno trainer to do maintenance and although i was not told this by ferno I have seen many with stress cracks on the upper handles and I indeed was taught some 12 yrs ago now to avoid using the handles as they have been known the break off.

We got rid of them a few years ago now and have been using the tracked Stryker chair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk