Treating Patients While Off-duty

The best thing any of us can do (regardless of our level of training) in the situation where we drive up on an MVA is to call 911. You are not going to transport in your POV so what you need to do is get someone there that will transport. I also think we have a different picture of an MVA scene than FNG does. I think he is looking at the rare serious MVA while the rest of us are thinking of the much more common fender bender with lots of Allstateitis.

FNG, trust me, as you gain experience you will find trauma very boring. It's cookbook medicine at it's finest. If it was any more complicated, surgeons wouldn't be allowed to take care of it. If you stick around long enough you will find that a sick medical pt is much more enjoyable because it makes you think.

I didn't mean ruff personally, I meant you as in the whole group

Hot Dang!! Your posts get more intelligent every time. You really just don't get it do you?

You are privileged to have medics and Drs with years of combined experience give you pointers and advice.

A smart person wouldn’t piss it away with ignorant generalizing remarks.

Edited by DFIB

The best thing any of us can do (regardless of our level of training) in the situation where we drive up on an MVA is to call 911. You are not going to transport in your POV so what you need to do is get someone there that will transport. I also think we have a different picture of an MVA scene than FNG does. I think he is looking at the rare serious MVA while the rest of us are thinking of the much more common fender bender with lots of Allstateitis.

Pretty easy to forget how a new guy sees the world.

My rule is simple. 1) Is there a life saving intervention needed? 2) Do I have the ability to perform such intervention?

If someone is having chest pain in walmart, there isn't much I can do. On the other hand, if you are bleeding out from a weed eater to the femoral, then there is probably something I can do to help until providers arrive.

Pretty easy to forget how a new guy sees the world.

I still remember being just like him. I was just 18, had registered for my EMT class. I'd run scenarios through my head and what I would do. I had the scanner and it was on a lot. It pained me to miss a call at my volley squad. I remember bringing pts into the ER and seeing them do things and think how stupid they were. Why did they just rip that c-collar off? Don't they know there is a 99.9% chance his neck is broken? Why did they take that guy with chest pain off of his 15L NRB? Don't they know that every chest pain is a STEMI and need 235% O2? Don't they know you NEVER take a bandage off a bleeding wound? Why are they taking the splint off of that twisted ankle? Don't they know that they could compromise the blood supply and he could loose the foot?

Yup, I remember being there. It's what you don't know you don't know, it's the not not knowing.

• Like 1

Yes, C-Spine protection is very important. But not every patient has a spinal injury. I think if I were about to BURN ALIVE, I'd want to be pulled out. I could always OD later on when I'm paralyzed. But the dude in that video that's posted...

He had burns and smoke inhalation, I'm sure the dry chemical he breathed in didn't help either. I've treated firemen that inhaled it. That stuff is made to smother fire, melt, and smother it. It's nasty.

Anyhoo....

I couldn't live with myself, if I stood by and watched someone that was awake and aware, burn to death. Nah, that would probably put me in an early grave. It's bad enough seeing someone after the fact.

I heard a kid burn to death about 25 years ago. We pulled the driver out but the passenger burned to death. He was only 17. It was the most horrible thing I have ever experienced.

1) I carry a "Jump Kit" ("First Aid Bag")in my van, as well as a reflective vest, gloves, helmet, and 2 10 pounder "A-B-C" fire extinguishers.

2) If and when I stop, I call 9-1-1 before I do anything else. There is an oft told story of folks waiting for an elevator, all thinking someone else pushed the button, likewise, people seeing anyone "operating on scene" might believe 9-1-1 had already been called, as "someone is working the call, hence, somebody must have already called 9-1-1". As a former EMS call-taker, I'd rather have 100 calls on an incident, than hear complaints after the fact that nobody responded. (Suggest everyone try Googling "Kitty Genovese")

3) I attempt positioning my vehicle so the blinkers can be seen, but the vehicle itself is safely out of the traffic flow. (My 2nd car was badly damaged one time when I didn't do this)

4) My "cert" is good until 2015, but I am medically retired from the FDNY for a year and a day at the time of this posting (knees and back won't let me lift). However, after 38 years experience, starting as a volunteer, not stopping to render whatever aid I can feels wrong. I admit others might not feel the same, but will not fault them for their feelings.

Richard. I stop pretty much at every call I think I can help safely (there are a lot of narco shootings on the road here. I don't stop if the MVC looks suspicious). I carry a lot of gear. Same as you I call EMS services first (our emergency number here is 066).

I also won't fault others that don't feel the conviction to stop. It is a personal decision that carries responsibility to self before others that I don't take lightly.

I also won't fault others that don't feel the conviction to stop. It is a personal decision that carries responsibility to self before others that I don't take lightly.

I was 500 more times gung ho before my daughter was born.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.