Treating Patients While Off-duty

So I was at a high school football game, off-duty, watching a relative play. Someone collapses in the stands about 40 yards from me. There is an ambulance on-site, but on the other side of the field. I did not immediately jump up and go to the patient, which shocked some of my family members (I have no equipment, no PPE). Sensing their disapproval, I went to the patients aid, it was just someone who got overheated and fainted. The ambulance crew got there about 5-6 minutes later and took over care.

What would you have done if you were there, not in uniform, and no one knew what you did for a living ? And I ask the same question for when you are the first one that pulls up on a wreck (again no equipment). Do you stop only on serious wrecks, do you stop at all wrecks, do you not stop at any of them ?

I have stopped on a few car accidents over the years, and keep an extra box of gloves in my car for that very reason, but sadly I will only stop if I see something nasty. However, as bad as it sounds I will not intervene in public if it can avoid it, I will pretend to be a bystander and call dispatch if I have to. Sometimes I just want to have nothing to do with medicine and EMS. I usually get the same response from friends and family if I don't help however....

So I was at a high school football game, off-duty, watching a relative play. Someone collapses in the stands about 40 yards from me. There is an ambulance on-site, but on the other side of the field. I did not immediately jump up and go to the patient, which shocked some of my family members (I have no equipment, no PPE). Sensing their disapproval, I went to the patients aid, it was just someone who got overheated and fainted. The ambulance crew got there about 5-6 minutes later and took over care.

What would you have done if you were there, not in uniform, and no one knew what you did for a living ? And I ask the same question for when you are the first one that pulls up on a wreck (again no equipment). Do you stop only on serious wrecks, do you stop at all wrecks, do you not stop at any of them ?

Nope don't stop, simple as that. Where I'm from the ambulance is little more than 5 minutes away. The backup ambulance is little more than 10 minutes away and I have no equipment on me, including gloves so I don't stop. What am I going to be able to do without any equipment. I can look pretty on scene though.

Of course, there are those on this site who have better equipped personal vehicles than many ambulance services.

Where I'm from the BLS ambulance is sometimes up to an hour or more away, We are expected to stop and render aid. Life flight is a pipedream. I always carry a jump bag, and sometimes a KED and splints.

In my town everyone knows I am an EMT so I help pretty much with everything I see. I don't stop on the road that much because not having the possibility of transport diminishes the positive outcomes.

Also I once stopped to aid a rollover where the driver was a Zeta with a truckload of cocaine and the situation got kinda hairy. I was happy to get away.

I almost have to see a family or little kids to stop on the highway anymore.

Edited by DFIB

As a new first responder (back in 2004), I found myself stopping more often than not providing what aid that I could. Of course, I kept a BLS bag including O2 because I was a volunteer and had that equipment at my disposal.

Now that I'm a paramedic and not carrying a jump bag of any kind, I find I can watch and wait. I'm always watching. If it's serious, I will act otherwise I stay out of it. And, if I do stop to offer aid, as soon as EMS arrives, I'm outta there.

• Like 1

It all depends on whether I fell I can help or not. I do carry a first aid kit in my car which has come in handy a few times. The road I drive on between the mine site has no cell service and is pretty dangerous due to the sharp cornors and logging trucks driving on the road. So if I come across an accident I do stop and help anyway I can until an ambulance arrives. Which can take up to half an hour or more.

If I see an accident in town and it looks minor then I usually don't stop as I know there will be an ambulance along with fire there pretty quick. If the MVA looks bad enough then I do stop as more hands on scene the better.

As DFIB mentioned when it comes to a family or kids that look like they need help then for sure I will stop and do what I can.

If I did not have any equipment I would probably still stop at a bad car accident and do what I could or for anything for that matter as I have the training and knowledge so why not put to use!

That is just me though :icecream:

I am sorry, but in a situation like the football game, you have a DUTY TO ACT. If you are so burned out that you no longer feel compassion towards your fellow man, then it is time to get a new profession. For all you know the person could have been choking on some food, and could have been saved by a simple maneuver.

You should stop at all wrecks too (unless everyone is out walking around), if for no other reason to keep some untrained idiot (or a trained idiot like a Dermatologist) who stopped from doing something dumb (dragging them out of the car before it explodes like they do on TV).

I am sorry, but in a situation like the football game, you have a DUTY TO ACT. If you are so burned out that you no longer feel compassion towards your fellow man, then it is time to get a new profession. For all you know the person could have been choking on some food, and could have been saved by a simple maneuver.

You should stop at all wrecks too (unless everyone is out walking around), if for no other reason to keep some untrained idiot (or a trained idiot like a Dermatologist) who stopped from doing something dumb (dragging them out of the car before it explodes like they do on TV).

Yep. I simply cannot believe these dumb untrained idiots did what they did...too bad there was no trained EMT or Medic to instruct them to leave the victim alone!

Ok, quote the law that says I have a duty to act? It's not my jurisdiction, I'm off duty. I don't believe I have a Duty to Act unless you use it altruistically and say that sense I'm higher trained that I should stop at every single scene no matter what the injuries and render aid.

I used to do that but not any more.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.