How much time from EMT-B to EMT-P?

student medic

The amount of time to wait is how long it takes to read my response. Or read the threads here.

I did just the opposite, I was an EMT dispatcher for 8 months after emt school, it's just where they put me as a new hire. I then moved into EMT driving and stayed there for 16 months.

to think how much further I would have been as a medic if I had just not listened to some idiotic advice of 2 years as an emt before getting my medic. STUPID advice given and taken. I learned from that mistake.

and yes, most of those who said to wait were emt's who didn't have any drive to be a medic or firemen who had no desire and fought als integration on the fire department for many many years. they still are bitching in KC MO about the integration of ems/ambulance and firefighting.

so take all our advice however you wish to but I've been there, done that, paid for that and wish I could take it back. But that was 20 years ago.

Get in school, there are few jobs in the world where you go to school for a few months, work awhile, go back to school, work awhile, go back to school, work awhile. Most schools produce educated employees that are green for whatever field they are going into (Accountant, RN, Lawyer, Teacher, etc....). But if you are truly concerned that you may not like the job, then I would vote as the others and continue working while taking some core classes, then go to Paramedic school when you are sure. And don't listen to all the "burn-outs" who try to talk you into going to nursing school instead.

• Like 1

I always tell new folks to try it out for 6 months to a year depending on call volume to find out if this is REALLY what they desire to spend an immense amount of energy and time attending a 2 year Paramedicine program. to say nothing about the cost.

Some can go right on and start the program , and others come to realize that having a drunk driver puking all over you and the truck is not all that appealing a career.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Working as an EMT before starting medic school is definitely a plus, but you should begin medic school once YOU feel ready. After i finished my EMT program it took me three months to get certified and find a job. Once i started working i decided i would start medic school as soon as possible. However, i did not because of financial issues. I am so happy i took the time to just work. I`ve been working as an EMT for 9 months now. The first month i worked BLS units, then i started incorporating some ALS shifts. I now work overnights and in the company i work for at night there are only ALS and Critical Care units. After these few months my passion for EMS has only grown and i am more than ready to start paramedic school, i like to think i have all the basics down. My goals as of now is to get the CCT-EMT training my company offers and get into that CCT unit, and start Paramedic school in January. Taking some time off of school, i feel, has prepared me to succeed in the paramedic program. These are my two cents, but you should do what feels right to you and what you think will give you a better outcome. Best of wishes. :wave:

I will never understand EMT's recommending when and where to go to Paramedic school..... :wtf:

Everyone here has pretty well spelled it out for ya.

The reality is, no matter what you are doing in EMS, it should always be goal directed.

Goal Directed therapy (patients)

Goal Directed behavior (Professional)

Using that logic set some goals to reach prior to starting Paramedic school... not deadlines. Here is an example.

Goal: To be comfortable touching patients

Goal: To ensure I can stomach blood, vomit, feces

Goal: Get proficient at BLS procedures eg. OPA insertion, Nasal cannula application, Driving an ambulance, Using a radio.

Goal: Stop calling Ambulances - bus's/taxi's/trucks/cars etc

Now, when those BLS goals are met, set a new line of goals for Paramedic school. Then as a Paramedic practioner...... and never stop setting them!

So as you can see, it is hard for anyone here to tell you "2 mos" or "2 years", because only you know what your goals are!

I can tell you one thing though..... I met all my BLS goals on my EMT practicum, then wasted the next 3 years cheaping my patients out of Paramedic care because I listened to yahoo's who told me I had "Dues to pay" as an EMT before I had the "Right" to enter Paramedic school. :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

I have found that those who tell you that you have dues to pay by being an EMT for at least a year were told that same mantra/crap when they became an EMT. Back then it was probably a good thing to do but now it's like an old wives tale, just that, a tale.

As someone who never took a paramedic class, let me ask everyone a question. When you took your paramedic class, did they go over the EMT curriculum again, or were you expected to know it before you started?

No and Yes Doc --- there was no such thing as EMTB when I went, only EMTI. The way I look at it is that I took the 101 level (referencing college beginning classes like "English 101" as EMT), then took 201-202 classes as a medic. There were some things that were repeated (had to go over skeletal anatomy again) as you studied the body, but then many things were added on to the base knowledge (learned stroke symptoms in EMT school as related to the brain, learned the nervous symptom in medic school as related to the brain).

But no, we did not go back over EMT stuff as a "review", we were expected to know the basics, I can not speak for everyone back then or today.

In my opinion, since EMTBs are taught so little, I do not see why EMTB - or EMTI is even a prerequisite for Paramedic school. LPN is not a prerequisite for RN.

• Like 1