How much time from EMT-B to EMT-P?

student medic

I just finished my EMT-B course and started at a volunteer ambulance company. I want to become a paramedic. Of course I know that you first have to be an EMT and then later become a medic. I just want to know whats the best time frame to stay an EMT before becoming a medic?

Its not like Im trying to rush to the front without paying my dues, but im 28 years old and i want to have enough time to maybe one day be an RN. So I feel like I dont have time to waste. My chief told me that i should at least re-certify at least once before going into a paramedic program. I even work with guys that have been an EMT-B for 10 years.To me that sounds excessive.

I hope you guys with more experience can help me out. Of course I know that I first have to be a good EMT and master that level and Im working on just that. But I wonder whats the acceptable time frame in the business before moving on to the next level?

Your insights with be very appreciated.

I just finished my EMT-B course and started at a volunteer ambulance company. I want to become a paramedic. Of course I know that you first have to be an EMT and then later become a medic. I just want to know whats the best time frame to stay an EMT before becoming a medic?

Its not like Im trying to rush to the front without paying my dues, but im 28 years old and i want to have enough time to maybe one day be an RN. So I feel like I dont have time to waste. My chief told me that i should at least re-certify at least once before going into a paramedic program. I even work with guys that have been an EMT-B for 10 years.To me that sounds excessive.

I hope you guys with more experience can help me out. Of course I know that I first have to be a good EMT and master that level and Im working on just that. But I wonder whats the acceptable time frame in the business before moving on to the next level?

Your insights with be very appreciated.

How long will it take you to fill out applications to reputable paramedic schools (minimum 2 year programs, preferably longer and more in depth)? Can you do it today?

In all seriousness, if you want to be a paramedic, go get the education required to become a quality paramedic. Absolutely do not wait to get more experience as a basic EMT first. If you really want to do it right get yourself north of the 49th and attend a Canadian school where it's a minimum of three years to move from the EMT-Basic level to the EMT-P level (with regard to scope of practice).

Im just trying to plan ahead cause I want to make this work. Im new in the field and not sure how hospitals rate candidates. I noticed that to gain experience as EMT-B before becoming a medic is a common held wisdom I hear often. Yes i plan to go for the 2 year degree when i do start. My plan is to just take alittle time to really see if i can handle this type of work.

Also how does the clinicals defer from riding the bus?

Edited by student medic

I noticed that to gain experience as EMT-B before becoming a medic is a common held wisdom I hear often.

That is a common “wisdom” many of us have heard many times over. I’m going to answer it with a question. How many of the people telling you to wait and “experience being an EMT first” are people generally considered to be top quality paramedics? I’m guessing the majority of people telling you to wait are still EMT-Basics themselves.

Canada is a little different where PCP’s (Primary Care Paramedic) work to roughly an EMT- Intermediate scope and have more of an educational backing than many US EMT-Ps (PCP’s are considered BLS by Canadian standards). For Canadian providers advancing to a SOP similar to the EMT-P involves an additional 1-2 years of education bringing them to the ACP (Advanced Care Paramedic) level.

Even within the Canadian system remaining a PCP for any more than 2-3 years before moving forward (If that’s your goal) is a waste of time.

Yes i plan to go for the 2 year degree when i do start. My plan is to just take alittle time to really see if i can handle this type of work.

By the time your applications are processed you should have some idea as to whether or not this is the job for you. By all means check things out as completely as you can. Look up job prospects, burnout rates, reasonable salary expectations, work injury rates, divorce rates, everything you can think of. Just don’t languish as a basic if your goal is to be a paramedic.

Simple. You must live by your decisions good or bad when you’re the medic in charge. When you’re on clinical you always have that preceptor safety net to land on if you make an error. All the more reason to enhance your educational backing before putting patients at risk due to a lesser knowledge base.

When you are doing clinicals you have more knowledge than riding the truck as a basic. You also have more skills you are able to perform. The entire thinking process from a Basic to a Paramedic changes because of all the new things wyou are able to do. So in my opinion, clinical time is much more valuable than working as a basic. Plus as a clinical student you are supervised so you have the freedom to make your own calls but you have the safety net of someone who can guide you.

Edited due to posting issues.

Edited by medicgirl05

Having been an EMT for 12 years before finally letting my license lapse because of CE issues (long story). I then had to start over, and got into a program at my local college which combined both EMT and EMT-I. From there I went directly into my Paramedic program.

With that being said, I can tell you from personal experience that the biggest issue with 'gaining experience/get your feet wet' concept is that it only makes it more difficult to break the bad habits that you're sure to develop.

Since you have expressed your intention of going for your degree in Paramedicine is a bonus. You'll find that in addition to the core classes, you should be required to take at least Anatomy & Physiology as a prerequisite or at least as a co-requisite.

The degree level A&P classes will help you understand how the body works, and how our interventions will affect the patients we treat.

Your algebra requirements aren't to find "X" (ever notice how many math instructors can't seem to keep track of things? They're always asking you to find "X", "Y" and all the other variables in those problems. If they'd just develop a better filing system, they would know where those things are!) they're designed to develop critical thinking skills, which will help you when you have to play 'detective' (especially in your medical patients). The English credits will help you with your narratives on your PCR and develop effective communication skills.

If you've passed all your tests (school and state), there is no reason to hold off going into paramedic class. If you're THAT concerned about 'getting your feet wet', pull some time in the truck while you're attending classes. Sure, things will be tough, but you'll be able to kill two birds with one stone this way....

The biggest 'differences' between your clinical rotations and 'real time' on the trucks is that in 'real time', you're going to be expected to know what you're doing, why you're doing it and then getting it done. During your clinical rotations, you had someone else that could step in if you were floundering.

• Like 1

This is a hot topic that has been debated many times both here in these forums as well as in just about every department across the country. You will get a wide variety of responses to your question.

I'm impressed to see that the general consensus so far in this thread is that you go on to paramedic school as soon as possible. The reasons offered are pretty sound, too.

Do not wait to apply to paramedic school. Don't worry about what the people who are telling you to wait will say. This is your choice, your job, your learning. If you are truly motivated and dedicated to your choice you will make sure that you learn the material you need to learn. What's more, you'll make sure you learn the material to the best of your ability.

If this is what you want then do it. Don't wait. Good luck.