Salary for EMT/Paramedic in Missouri

Kschuppan

Hey Kyle...Welcome to the City.

I'm guessing that you're not being purposely ignored here, but that we just don't have any providers with good information for that area...

It's a fair question and I didn't want to let you think that there was something wrong with it because of the lack of responses.

Dwayne

So, for grins, I thought I'd go and surf the web. Never know how accurate the info is, so I pulled up my locale to get a good feel. Good news is, it posts the salary for a full time paramedic prior to our raises this past January. I also looked at two other counties near me where I also know the salary range. So, I'm gonna say it's fairly decent representation...for me.

Check out www.indeed.com.

the salary in a small rural town I used to work for is around 55K. That's rural missouri and on the other side of the state of missouri than St Louie is.

Another area in missouri just north of the above service the pay is around 16.33 per hour to start as a medic there. both of these examples are hospital based services.

The KC area I only know of one services pay rate and its north of Kansas city covering a larger county. the pay is about 33K per year.

St Louis's cost of living in some places is pretty high so I suspect pay is higher. Last time I heard of someone in St Louis working for the city of st louis he was making about 43K but he was pretty high on the longevity list and seniority list.

that's the extent to what I know.

I'm going to respectfully suggest that you start making salary and compensation concerns a bigger deal than you currently are. That's great you consider this your calling. But that's not going to pay the bills.

And please don't say that because this is your calling that you'd do it for free. By doing it for free you simply devalue the paid positions and people who rely on the income earned from doing the job.

I have no idea if you were headed that way or not. But I felt the need to get that out.

Good luck.

i have always said that if you love your job you'd do it for less but I grew up and faced the reality that I need money to pay my bills.

No matter where you live, you need to have enough money to support yourself and your family if you have one.

If you would do the job for free then what will you do to support yourself while you are doing the free bit? I don't know many volunteers who have the financial means to survive financially while being a volunteer.

Dont' do this job for free, you take away a job from someone who really needs to earn a living.

So you need to find a service that pays at least a livable wage and if you cannot find a service who does that then you need to think about a 2nd job to make ends meet. Can't speak for your home life or financial needs but if you can't live off the job salary then maybe it's not a job to be working without either the spouse working or you taking a 2nd job or you making changes in your spending habits.

No matter what job you choose, learn to live within your means. Those in here who tell you not to get in EMS are because they bought above their means. It doesnt matter what you make, you dont need 2 new car payments, a huge house payment, and payment on toys (four wheelers, boats, jet skis). EMS allows you to make more money then most beginning careers because you can work 2 jobs (an accountant works M-F, less likely to have weekend work), but the catch 22 is that you can spend 2 incomes. Live within your means, it wont matter what you earn.

I can tell you EMT-B's don't make crap! Maybe $9 or $10/hr average with a per ride bonus, paramedics however make double that. (Chicago at least) Not sure about MO, but when I was in class, the instructor talked about pay scale and I'm sure you can ask him/her for information. Otherwise, call a private ambo company, see what they offer! Eventually you will be doing ride time with them, so you can always ask then too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.