Whats Your Favorite Snack While On-Duty

hatelilpeepees

In the rest of the civilized world (europe) a beer or glass of wine is not frowned upon. Its only in america that alcohol is a sin. You know how you can spot a Baptist in the US ? They won't wave at each other in the liquor store.

I can guarantue you that I like my cold bottle of beer or my lovely glass of french or italian (or south-african - you should try these ones) dry red wine.

Still, the context was what you`d like as a snack at work..

And even around here (Europe), you wouldn`t find anyone with a bottle of beer or a glass of wine sitiing around the station.

P.S.: I`m letting that remark about Europe being the only civilized part of the world beneath the US slip, because I`m tired.

Topics and tempers seem to have been kind of hot in here last week, so I throw this topic out just to give us something to talk about that shouldn't turn into a war:

LOL, you win some, you lose some.

I've been trying to keep my snacking to the healthier side lately, as I find myself more on my butt than on my feet. I replaced my can of pop with either black coffee (I'm still a caffeine-fiend) or just plain ice water from the brita filter. I've replaced the handful of potato chips with some home mixed "trail mix". Usually I use light-salt sunflower seeds, raisins, dried pineapple, pretzels, and chex. It satisfies all of the salty/sweet requirements, so my wife will eat it too, thus, she'll buy the ingredients so I can eat it.

Other than that, if I'm in the lab, we're not allowed to eat or drink so if I can't hide it in the prep room (just outside the lab), I just eat it with lunch.

Just grab a box of individual packaged "Little Debbie" Cheese Danishes.. OMG I love these things... or Maple Muffin Tops, Peanut Butter packets, etc; from MRE's. Recently after a disaster, everyone was issued pallets of MRE's. I gotta say, not bad, certainly keeps the plumbing in check.

On the topic of wine. I'm hooked on this stuff called Red Cat. If I drink one glass, I'm buzzed; if I have two I'm frisky and drunk; and if I go for a third, I'm likely going to be lying down with a red face. Now I could drink ten vodka and pop's and be just fine, in the sense of being buzzed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not an EMT or medic so I hope its ok that I reply but when I'm on watch I love to snack on some sunflower seeds or trail mix. When I'm not doing that I usually have a stick of gum in my mouth. I find it helps pass the time a little quicker.

I've become addicted to the Planters Nut-trition heart healthy mix. It has peanuts, almonds, pecans, walnuts and pistachios in in and uses sea salt. No cholesterol or trans-fat but 65 mg of sodium which is 3% of the daily value. If I dont have those at home, I'll get some unsalted sunflower seeds at the local convenience store and I always carry a bottle of water with me and refill it as needed from the water coolers in station.