UK Paramedic transferring to Canada

marky_john

• 1 year later...

Hi, I know this is an old thread. However, me and the family are looking into Nova Scotia. My ex brother in law has emigrated there about 2 years ago (that's about as much connection as we have out there).

We're looking at about 2 years time. I know paramedic doesn't qualify for the skilled workers visa. Is there another visa? What about jobs etc etc. Would they employ a paramedic practitioner? Willing to do remote stuff etc or work for a DR out of there surgery doing community stuff. Extra skills above usual paramedic stuff include fundoscopy, supply & administer abx/prescription analgesia etc. Wound closure Inc suturing, medical glue, minor surgical procedures, otoscopy and treatment and/or referal of minor health problems/injuries. My ex bros in laws wife's cousin is the local DR and their neighbour is also a family DR. Enquiries are being made. Just wondering if there could be opportunities in that neck of the woods. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, I know this is an old thread. However, me and the family are looking into Nova Scotia. My ex brother in law has emigrated there about 2 years ago (that's about as much connection as we have out there).

We're looking at about 2 years time. I know paramedic doesn't qualify for the skilled workers visa. Is there another visa? What about jobs etc etc. Would they employ a paramedic practitioner? Willing to do remote stuff etc or work for a DR out of there surgery doing community stuff. Extra skills above usual paramedic stuff include fundoscopy, supply & administer abx/prescription analgesia etc. Wound closure Inc suturing, medical glue, minor surgical procedures, otoscopy and treatment and/or referal of minor health problems/injuries. My ex bros in laws wife's cousin is the local DR and their neighbour is also a family DR. Enquiries are being made. Just wondering if there could be opportunities in that neck of the woods. Any help would be appreciated.

You are going to need an employer-specific visa as a requisite for moving - not unlike the 457 visa for Australia. Ordinarily I would say stick to the Canadian immigration website, but in this case I would also suggest getting your CV out there too. You may wish to seriously consider getting your qualifications officially transferred to Canadian standards - be that paramedic or 'other'. This should realistically involve a couple of trips over there, so your 2 year projection seems reasonable. Whereas none of this will automatically lead to a visa, it will make you more marketable if you are able to show potential employers that you are qualified to start work the day you land. It will then be up to your potential employer to apply for your visa, and the Canadian government to issue it, providing you tick all the required boxes.

Canada certainly isn't impossible for what you want to do (the US is), and I personally know 2 SAS techs who moved out there in the early and late 90s. What I don't know, is whether they already had an 'in' though other means, or how much has changed since then.

There are many threads which may be of help in the Canadian section of the british expat forum.

Good luck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.