Strange diseases/dissorders encountered in the EMS field

HM3 Grant

I am required to write a six page research paper for my Paramedic class. I want a subject that will draw in the readers attention by maybe starting with a patient scenario in which the signs and symptoms are startling or shocking. Any suggestions?

That's a good choice Rid

The other could be the ear infection which migrates to meningitis.

Had two patients present the exact same way over a period of about 30 days. One patient with meningitis and the other with a subarachnoid bleed.

Same exact symptoms and history but one survived and one did not.

I am not sure if you need to write a paper on a disease process specifically, or if you have a little more freedom of choice in subjects. I have a potential suggestion. Often, asking a seemingly innocuous and esoteric question can lead you to profound answers and a great experience regarding research and writing the paper.

For example, for a recent assignment, I asked myself "why is Mercury a liquid at room temperature?" The journey to the answer was a wild ride and I was able to write a truly unique paper and complete a unique presentation. You could ask something on the lines of "how does the body use Oxygen or how is Carbon Dioxide produced?" I casually asked the CO2 question recently during a class on quantitative CO2 monitoring and was met with absolute silence and an opening to lecture on a subject that the students had apparently never really pondered or appreciated in any detail.

Asking a good question regardless of your choice of subjects will also help you develop a catchy and interesting introduction. A good introduction is crucial if you want people to continue reading your paper. Also, when you can make somebody view the physical world differently through your work, it can be a powerful experience for the person on the other side of your project.

Good luck.

Edit "."

Edited by chbare
  • Like 1

A few months ago we responded for a 46 y/o F c/o of sudden onset confusion. Arrived to be greeted by the Pt. and her boyfriend at the door. Pt. was alert and oriented, in no distress, had no obvious trauma and appeared in good health.

Upon assessment it was found that the Pt. anterograde and retrograde amnesia of apparently just episodic memory. Pt. had good recollection of people and places, but seemed to have no clear memory of any previous events and repetitive questioning. Pt. had no physical complaints, vital signs all within normal limits for a healthy adult. Pt. reported no medications and previously good health. Both Pt. and boyfriend denied any drug or alcohol use and reported Pt. in good health in recent days. Symptoms had began approximately 15 minutes post-coital.

Working diagnosis was possible CVA. Pt. did not meet stoke bypass directives but was still transported on a non-emergency basis to the local ED (also the regional stroke centre). Pt. offloaded with no changes from above assessment.

Follow-up with ED staff two days later and found out that the Pt. had been diagnosed with transient global amnesia and released with full resolution of symptoms within 24 hours. It was an interesting case that had all of us (including the stroke Doc) scratching our heads and thinking CVA.

I am required to write a six page research paper for my Paramedic class. I want a subject that will draw in the readers attention by maybe starting with a patient scenario in which the signs and symptoms are startling or shocking. Any suggestions?

Ok I did like the Dengue fever idea, WHO is indicating an increase in incidents with world travellers ... but a bit more common would marine stingy things like Iracongi, Box Jelly Fish and Portuguese Man O War ?

Here is an idea from a personal perspective I know all too well and you will see in the field.

Epstein Bahr

Ok I know what you are thinking, meh flu like syptoms, not shocking enough. Well I beg to differ. Here is why.

I have this disease and if I am not careful when developing S/S and take a proactive approach you will get someone that looks like they are on deaths door step.

If I catch it early and move quickly I present as a flu patient; fever, chills, general body ache, nausua, a nice pale grey skin tone. Usually catching it here requires bed rest, fluids, treatment of symptoms as needed. Now here is the spin...

If I ignore my sypmtoms, just take a Dayquill or other OTC and push through it because its only a cold I deteriorate quickly usually within 12 to 18hrs. If you are called for me at this stage your pucker factor goes through the roof. I present with ash grey color, juandice in the eyes, cold sweat, high fever 103+, no muscle tone (I cant even lift my head), shallow rapid breathing, fast pulse, low bp, vomiting and ocassionally loss of bowl control, speaking is even hard and due to the fever confusion ensues.

Picture walking into that scene when the loved one that finds you says just 12 to 18hrs prior you seemed fine just the sniffles or a cough. So we have sudden onset, unstable vitals, in need of supportive breathing, and juandice to boot.

Care is usually bed rest, massive fluid infusions in the first day or so, meds are kind of hard due to the juandice (some Docs wait to see if it clears before meds go onboard others have pushed meds immediatly), high flow O2 via NRB until I stabilize and get it under control. FYI the breathing is due to the loss of muscle tone and nothing disease related as far as comprimise. Fever is usually brought down with ice packs until some ASA can get onboard. I spend a week or so in the hospital (depending on my response to treatment), another 3 to 4 weeks at home under bed rest orders, then about a week to two of light physical therapy to get my body back in shape.

I hope this helps give you some ideas and if you would like more information from the patient's own mouth feel free to ask away.

Which might also be interesting: Borreliosis.

Had a pat. a while ago, presenting himself with typical stroke symptoms, met him two days later, he was diagnosed with borreliosis.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.