Cherokee Nation, cutting off Black roots

Happiness

http://www.thegrio.com/news/is-the-cherokee-nation-cutting-off-its-black-roots.php

This is an interesting event. Lona ago in Canada when a native woman married a white guy the lost their rights (They have since been returned) but if a native man married a white girl she got all the native rights (which has since stopped). These white women that have gained these rights still to this day have their rights but the new wives do not recieve status. In order to become a status Indian in Canada you need to be at the least 1/4 blood and prove your ancestory and in Alaska (tlingit/haida) you only need to be 1/8 blood to recieve status.

Personally I dont think they should just kick out people that have been a part of their nation but so much time has gone by most of these black desendents probably have enough Cherokee in their blood to be recognised. If they dont want further Blacks into the system then they should start it now.

Any other thoughts

lol as long as they don't take my Cherokee Nation membership cards away from me :) I enjoy participating in that part of my heritage every year and visiting my family who are still closely tied to the Cherokee culture.

They just got all crotchity and it was time to purge the reservation of those with crotchity behaviors. :)

:D