snapping or on verge of said event

Yup everyday at work I deal with Forest Gumps. Sometimes I just want to scream or punch someone. Usually just go home, work out a little to burn off the steam, then go and drop a line in the lake with a cold one in my hand.

Met a man not too long ago, former FBI profiler James Reese. Funny guy who gave a motivation speech on Staying Bitter or Getting Better. Of of his final statements that I would like to share...

1. wake up with an attitude of gratitude
  2. create a challenge if one doesn't already exist
  3. reinvent yourself every day
  4. don't take everything personally
  5. reduce your expectations of people
  6. continue to make good choices

Crotchity has it right...only you get to decide how others can make you feel. That includes your stupid partner, that pissy patient that called you at 1:15 with knee pain, or your crappy commander who knows so much less than you do you still aren't show how (s)he got the job. Refer to #5.

Toni

Jeez crotch. The one sensible thing youve said in a fortnight and you're worried about sounding like a jerk?

I whole heartledly agree with what you have said though, its good advice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have an extremely long fuse, with a major explosion at the end of it IF I do not carefully monitor my emotional responses and take steps to eradicate stress. For me a real give away is when I get angry at a patient. I don't mean irritation or mild frustration, I mean anger. I am very careful not to let my emotional responses to patients show, but I still critique myself after every call. If I get angry at a patient, I know I need some PTO time. I take a set off and I return good to go. I would imagine that if I let too much time pass before getting that time off, recovery of my usual caring self would be much harder.

Stress is your mind overruling your heart’s desire to choke some jerk that is desperately asking for it.

I can't fix stupid or mean people so I try to feel sorry that they were born so disadvantaged, Most of the time I can just ignore them.

Edited by DFIB

• 1 month later...

I am not trying to sound like a jerk, but I learned this lesson a long time ago: You decide what kind of day you will have every day. You can not let others control your life, which is what you do when your blood pressure goes up over what someone else said or did. The minute you show any emotion because of what someone else did, you have given them control of your day, it is like you are a puppet on a string.

Example: If I said something mean about your momma right now, it could piss you off to the point of you punching me. But on the other hand, you could say "crotch does not know my momma, he has never even met me, so therefore he is trying to piss me off and control my day". Let it roll off of your back, its not worth being upset about.

I worked for a large urban system that was on 24/48s and the shifts were brutal with the normal EMS abuse you would expect. I went to work cussing and I came home cussing. Then they switched to 12-hour shifts, and I figured out I could transport 6 patients, or not transport 10 patients. Once I quit argueing with the dumb patients and just started transporting, all the stress was gone, and my smile returned. When I saw that change I realized I had been letting others control me.

This is the only thing crotch ever said that I actually liked ...

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.