When you have a chronic illness...

FireMedicChick164

Tough times, firemedicchick. I am quite familiar with the asthma issue- from my wife. She's been pretty severe her entire life. She was tugging on the albuterol q 4 hrs- more often if seasons were changing or during allergy season. If she got sick, add the nebulizer to the mix, and a couple times she still ended up in the hospital for a couple days because she was so hypoxic. She was always tethered to that inhaler and had one at work, in the car, at home, in her purse- she could never chance not having one nearby.

Enter Advair. Literally a life saver. She takes it twice a day, and since then, now uses her Proventil pump MAYBE 1-2 a YEAR- when she gets a URI. I cannot recall the last time I saw her use her rescue inhaler.

As for frustrated- I get that. Anything that alters your routine, keeps you from doing what you want, or changes your lifestyle- sucks. I don't know what the answer is, but maybe see the doctor to find out if a medication change is in order.

I think many of us- especially the old timers- have chronic health issues. Backs, shoulders, knees, heart, GERD, it sucks to be "old". This profession will also prematurely age a person. I see more younger folks with issues generally reserved for retirees. It's simple the nature of the beast. Yes, you have a medical condition, but do NOT let it define who or what you are. Deal with it as needed and move on. The more you dwell on it, the more it will get you down. Trust me- been there with my heart.