When you have a chronic illness...

FireMedicChick164

Hey guys. I've been having some issues lately and figured where else to turn to for some good advice but a bunch of medics.

A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with asthma. Despite all the meds and everything my doc has been trying it gets better but then comes back with a vengeance and a few times has landed me in the ER.

So I have to tote my freaking nebulizer with me where ever I go and always make sure I have my meds on hand as it seems these days just about anything will set off an attack.

It's embarrassing to have to nebulize myself 2 or 3 times during a shift (for awhile there I was hitting it up every 2 hours as per docs orders) and I feel bad for my co workers having to put up with it.

I got a new job in May as an Occupational Health Technician and work over nights on a construction site basically sitting in the clinic trailer waiting for patients (so I'm not in the field much any more).

Now here is where I need the advice....why do I feel so damned frustrated about the whole thing? Is it logical for me to be frustrated? Do any of you deal with a chronic illness while still doing your best to be the best medic you can be? What else (if anything) should I be doing to fight this?

Thanks guys...I don't know what else to do...I'm ready to scream!

:bonk:

FireMedicChick164

Edited by FireMedicChick164

Different direction for me. Almost all of my municipal EMS time was 16 to 2400, and I ended up not wanting overtime, due to my finding out I had Acute Sleep Apnea, and needing my CPAP machine.

During the 1996 Blizzard in NYC, figuring, correctly, that I'd get stranded at the EMD, I brought the CPAP along with me. Still lost sleep, as one jerk kept coming into the room, and shining a flashlight into my face to show others "that thing on the B-man's face". (Update: Of course, that jerk is now a lieutenant!)

Forgot to mention, I was assigned to the EMD as a call taker.

Hey guys. I've been having some issues lately and figured where else to turn to for some good advice but a bunch of medics.

A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with asthma. Despite all the meds and everything my doc has been trying it gets better but then comes back with a vengeance and a few times has landed me in the ER.

So I have to tote my freaking nebulizer with me where ever I go and always make sure I have my meds on hand as it seems these days just about anything will set off an attack.

It's embarrassing to have to nebulize myself 2 or 3 times during a shift (for awhile there I was hitting it up every 2 hours as per docs orders) and I feel bad for my co workers having to put up with it.

I got a new job in May as an Occupational Health Technician and work over nights on a construction site basically sitting in the clinic trailer waiting for patients (so I'm not in the field much any more).

Now here is where I need the advice....why do I feel so damned frustrated about the whole thing? Is it logical for me to be frustrated? Do any of you deal with a chronic illness while still doing your best to be the best medic you can be? What else (if anything) should I be doing to fight this?

Thanks guys...I don't know what else to do...I'm ready to scream!

:bonk:

FireMedicChick164

I have had several chronic illnesses.

First was sleep apnea. Ended up having a pallatopharyngealuvuloplasty or the sleep apnea surgery for short. What a game changer that surgery was for me. I finally got a good nights sleep after the healing. Suffered through sleep apnea for over 8 years. My sleep study put me with 82 apneic events. they said it was every hour but cant imagine that.

My current chronic condition is diabetes. here is my medication regimen

Metformin 2x day

gembibrizil 2 times a day

gut medicine daily

Lantus nightly

vitamins for 2 different vitamin deficiencies - daily

Sticking my fingers 5-7 times a day depending on how I feel.

Sending weekly blood sugar results to the doctors office

I have no fewer than 4 doctors appointments a month

I'm not running on the ambulance daily now but when I was I would try as best I can to check my sugar all the while trying to eat non sugared, low carb food which in EMS that's impossible.

I cannot imagine having to do a nebulizer as often as you did but my feelings as a partner of someone who would have to, that if you are having to pull that machine out while you are working and if you are truly having an asthma attack then I don't really want you working. No offense in intended here but do you think you were truly giving your patients the best care that they needed if you were having to puff away on that nebulizer?

It shows that you have addressed your illness by taking a job out of the field where you have the down time that you need to address your illness.

If you need to chat you can always pm me. I'm a pretty good listener and I do have very broad shoulders.

So what are you frustrated about? The fact that you have to give yourself a neb treatment every so often? Or that you're stuck in a trailer out of touch with the field? It's hard to tell from your post.

Actually I'm frustrated cause I am sick all the time...sick of being sick, ya know? Sick of feeling like crap, sick of being in pain, sick of not being able to breathe, sick of being embarrassed that I have to stop and take all these meds all the time, sick of not being able to live up to my potential because I'm sick all the time, sick of people feeling sorry for me.

I love my new job and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I still run 911 with my vollie FD when I am off of work. So I still see my fair share of great calls.

I just want to get better!

Thank you for the clarification.

I can imagine that this isn't an easy challenge for you to face on a daily basis. The fact that you are managing it, however, and are still able to succeed (job you love, vollie on the side) is a testament to your dedication and willingness to move forward despite feeling like crap.

Although, I can also imagine you'd like to wake up and not feel like crap while doing all the other things you enjoy doing.

Why are you embarrassed about taking your meds, though? If you need them, take them. Take them with reckless abandon and tell anyone who gives you a hard time to take a flying leap.

Or you can play games and tell them that you're contagious. Or that the mist from the neb treatments will make them sterile if they get too close. Or something.

Hang in there.

edit: deleted a duplicate word

Edited by paramedicmike

LOL Mike thanks for the laugh...I needed that! I need to start looking for the positive in all of this I guess. That may help. :clown:

FMC164, sounds like me, a bit, missing seeing the world through that big picture window, with the steering wheel in front of it. Difference is, I'm retired but maintaining my EMT cert.

Why are you embarrassed about taking your meds, though? If you need them, take them. Take them with reckless abandon and tell anyone who gives you a hard time to take a flying leap.

See, in Australia carrying a PMDI and/or using a neb a couple of times a day is quite common, we have after all the second highest rate of asthma per capitol in the world. If you were to need either one there would be no questions asked, no would bat an eyelid - its ust acepted, oh well, she has asthma, moving on....

Im guessing its not very common over there?

It's getting more common over here especially in cities due to the pollution, global warming etc....I just don't like drawing attention to myself if I can help it so toting my neb with me makes me a little self conscious..... :unsure: