Questions....

I found this review test by id44 something or another. And for money, I say it sucks. So many grammatical errors and such. This was SO not helpful. Anyway, I disagree with the answer he/she has to this question.

In a third degree heart block the P-R interval is :

a. None of the above.

b. Longer than .20 seconds.

c. Contains more than one P wave

d. Normal, but is not consistent with the QRS complex

e. Progressively increases until a beat is skipped.

Okay, I choose A. none of the above and he/she thinks the correct answer is d. normal....

I don't agree. It can't be "normal" if it's a third degree heart block. I see what he was getting at, but I don't agree with the way he worded the question. I already know the P waves and QRS complexes have no correlation. I;ve been doing this long enough...but how is the P-R interval "normal"????? It always changing theoretically in a 3rd degree block. What say you? If this were a REAL national question, how would you answer?

Let me see what else I can find....

I think this one was a misprint. Either that or I really AM borderline tarded...

The period of the cardiac cycle when stimulation may produce depolarization is:

a. the refractory period

b. the absolute refractory period

c. the decompensation period

d. the relative refractory period.

I could have sworn there was only absolute and relative refractory periods, obviously the correct one being D. But he/she thinks it's A. Am I missing something here??? Maybe I do need to open up a book again.....

Edited by scratrat

I agree with you. It sounds like a useless study guide based on these 2 questions. In 3rd degree block there is no correlation between P waves and the QRS so there is no true PR interval, or you could say that it is highly variable. As for the second question, you are correct. The refractory period comprises the absolute and relative periods, so A is almost correct but D is absolutely correct.

Good luck with the studying and good job trying to think through your answers.

You know what they say, you get what you pay for. I do like questions like this though because it makes me say, "Hey, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about." I then go and look up the info. Always a good review.

LOL. Well, I found a review test book on Amazon for about $15 that has really been testing me. I've forgotten some of the information since I took it last. Drug calculations were always my pitfall too, so I'm brushing up on those before I test again.

Drug calculations, lol. I have it easy in the hospital. I have these things called nurses that do that for me (man, I love my nurses).

That's awesome. All I get is an EMT....can't really do IV infusions... :shifty:

Besides, there's a nice little cheat sheet laminated card on the back of the IV pump usually. But I'm thinking I can't bring that into the testing center with me.

When I first got my cert back in 2000, I walk in the room and she gives me lidocaine 2mg/min. Beautiful!! Go through the whole think like clockwork. When I get all done she asks, "Anything you would have done differently?" I looked around and said, "Yes, I would have taken the syringe with the lidocaine in it and actually injected it into the bag..." She passed me. LOL. I felt like such an ass...but I thought it was funny ONLY after I knew she passed me..

Drug calculations, lol. I have it easy in the hospital. I have these things called nurses that do that for me (man, I love my nurses).

I feel like such a tool. My profession distilled down to nothing more than being a human calculator. At least I have respiratory as a fall back.

Edited by chbare

I feel like such a tool. My profession distilled down to nothing more than being a human calculator. At least I have respiratory as a fall back.

Sorry ch, don't feel bad. I love my nurses and wouldn't trade most of them for a million dollars. Don't tell them I said that though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.