Possible Hurnia or tripple AAA?

PCP

Awesome answers PCP...

I'm sorry I don't have time to get back to it right now, but it looks like you're being well cared for here..

I'll jump back when I have a few minutes in a row to concentrate. Thanks for taking it seriously, and in the spirit intended.

Dwayne

No worries Dwayne,

I am done my last night shift at the mine site and now I am off for home to be a dad for four days. If I get time between diapers I will check back in and if not I will not be back on the site when I am back at work on Friday!

Have a great week everybody!

Just a small question: have you checked peripheral pulses on the legs (dorsalis pedis, tibialis posterior) and radialis pulse?

Yes my partner checked the pedal pulses but did not mention to me what her findings where. I probably could have asked but I was busy getting information about medications and some more history from the care aid at the time.

Why would you have a weakened pulse with a AAA?

Femoral pulses or distal pulses at the lower extremity may occur when an AAA rupturs, or, when unruptured, due to arteriosclerotic processes below the aneurysma (read that somewhere).

I am gonna jump in with Dwayne on this one for a little while and do an virtual exploration of this lady's abdomen.

Here are some more questions

What does a hernia feel like under palpation?

What does a AAA feel like under palpation?

Is it possible for an AAA to bulge out the front of the abdomen?

If there were an AAA what vital signs would you expect?

What would possibly pertrude when abdominal pressure is increased by changing position?

What would be more urgent, the bulge or the BP?

DFIB I will answer those questions when I get back on Friday.

I am sure someone will answer the questions by then but I am looking forward to researching some of those questions as I don't have a clue what some of the answers would be!

Brian

I can tell you what the hernia feels like. Mine feels like a balloon that is filled with a gel like solid. Not hard but more like a tempur pedic bed material.

It does not hurt, it does not pulse and my son calls it "Ernie"

The only time you will see it on me is if I am either lying down from a sitting position or sitting up.

The doctor said that it's not one that needs to be operated on. If I lose weight it should go down a bit.

I live with it and if it don't hurt me, I won't hurt it.

My anatomy is kind of rusty right now since I've been awake since last night at 1900 or so

I do not believe that it would be possible for the Aorta(AAA) to bulge out of the abdomen. The aorta I believe lies behind the intestines so unless the intestines have parted like the red sea then the aorta and it's balloned state will not bulge out. The reason why you feel a pulsatile mass is that the aneurism will push on the intestines, moving them forward and that is why you feel the pulsatile mass.

Again my anatomy is a tad bit rusty tonight.

I was a horrid speller when I started in EMS (as far as medical terms went). It's very important to spell correctly on PCRs/ACR's as it is a legal document and makes you look more professional. :mobile: Just a thought.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.