College and EMS (What to study)

Stitches

Its been a while since I last posted here, but life's been interesting, and I've been away from the computer for a couple weeks.

I had a few questions about how a college degree fits into EMS, and I thought you guys have given me pretty good advice in the past, so it makes since to field the question to you.

For the past couple years I've been going to a community college, working on getting an AA in Fire Science. I would have had it finnished a couple months ago, but a temporary lapse in judgement and one shoulder surgery (both unrelated incidents) slowed me down a bit. In short, the college canceled the Fire Science program, and now I'm re-eveluating my college plans.

I may switch schools, and I'd like some input on how having a degree factors into a carreer in EMS. Does your specific major play a large part in determining depts hiring decisions, or is it more a case of just having the skills that comes with getting a BA/BS? Eventually, I'd like to be a paramedic, but I'm reluctant to get a degree thats only applicable to EMS due to how hard its been to get hired on, even as a volunteer, in the past.

Would you turn down an aplicant because his major was History, English, Criminal Justice, or Anthropology instead of Biology, Chemistry, Nursing, or Paramedics (I've been told its a Major, but I'm still trying to figure if, used in this context, its even a word.)? If you don't mind, I'd be interested to know what you majored in, and how that has affected your EMS carreer.

Thanks, and stay safe,

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

I received my AAS in Emergency Medicine, and you know what? I don't think it's made a bit of difference. I've gotten way more work because of the people I've come to know here than I ever did because of my degree, and in some places the degree might hinder you, as it tends to show that you may be to smart to run 100 miles an hour, 100 hrs/wk and burn yourself out before someone may have to pay retirement on you.

Those that do value a degree would love one in English, math, or anything science related I'm guessing as so much of the job is critical thinking and report writing.

But without a doubt your thinking of getting a degree not tied to EMS is good...Most every paramedic that you'll talk to that has been doing this for a few days is looking for something to change to that will make them some money and allow them to be home like a normal person..

Dwayne

I disagree dwayne, respectfully. I did not get a degree, and I have found it has shut me out of some management positions where an Associates or Bachelors was a minimum requirement. The poster may not be interested in management now, but 10 years from now, things may be different.

Also I forecast that AMR and Rural Metro will gobble up a significant amount of private and municipal providers as they did in the 90s, as the economy worsens (it is about to get a lot worse in my opinion thanks to the lack of leadership in DC -- both parties). I agree with Dwayne that in most municipal departments a degree is useless, but in the corporate world it will make a difference.

I would suggest a Bachelor's in Health Care/Management/Sciences (whatever they call it in your area), which opens door to other medical industries outside of EMS (Hospital managers change jobs about every 2-4 years). Good luck!

Hey guys, thanks for the input, and sorry that its taken so long to reply!

Dwayne, I think you may be onto something with a non-related degree. I was thinking about getting a degree in Archeology, but now, I'm not 100% sure. My dream would be EMS in a wilderness or tactical setting (Expedition Medic, SWAT, etc)but I have no idea how to go about getting there, and really, I'd be happy with a 4 days on, 3 days off EMS gig.

Crotchety, you're absolutely right - I have no interest in management at all. One of the things that atracts me to EMS is that I'm not chained to a desk.... well, ok, I might be stuck at a desk for a while, but they let me out every now and then. That being said, that could change if I get injured, start a family, or something.

I have no doubt that getting a degree can't hurt - I just don't want to get only EMS related classes and be a "one-trick-poney."

If there was one thing you could have done differently abotu college/degrees, what is it?

Thanks, you've both given me something to think about, maybe one day I'll make a descission.

Chris "Stitches" Johnson

Also, is there any way to edit previous posts? I used my signature for another forum in my first post (Hence the "Kayak-Man") and wouldn't mind changing to back.

Hey guys, thanks for the input, and sorry that its taken so long to reply!

Dwayne, I think you may be onto something with a non-related degree. I was thinking about getting a degree in Archeology, but now, I'm not 100% sure. My dream would be EMS in a wilderness or tactical setting (Expedition Medic, SWAT, etc)but I have no idea how to go about getting there, and really, I'd be happy with a 4 days on, 3 days off EMS gig.

Crotchety, you're absolutely right - I have no interest in management at all. One of the things that atracts me to EMS is that I'm not chained to a desk.... well, ok, I might be stuck at a desk for a while, but they let me out every now and then. That being said, that could change if I get injured, start a family, or something.

I have no doubt that getting a degree can't hurt - I just don't want to get only EMS related classes and be a "one-trick-poney."

If there was one thing you could have done differently abotu college/degrees, what is it?

Thanks, you've both given me something to think about, maybe one day I'll make a descission.

Chris "Stitches" Johnson

Also, is there any way to edit previous posts? I used my signature for another forum in my first post (Hence the "Kayak-Man") and wouldn't mind changing to back.

I`m only speaking out my thoughts here, since I don`t know the thoughts of American recruiters, but at least I can guess. ;)

First, I think, you wanna decide what you really want. A degree in Archeology might let recruiters think - wow, he`s got a degree in Archeology, but nothing more. Honestly, I doubt that it will give you any benefit if you really think about working in EMS fulltime and building a career there. Sure, it might be interesting (tell me about it, I`ve planned to study Archeology or History for the most part of my teens - just where did I go astray??? ;) ), but it might be - and I`m doing this in captions for a good reason - a "timewaste" if you think your future lies in EMS...?!

I just imagine, that if you`ve undergone a study in a certain subject - you wouldn`t want it to be just Plan-B.

It certainly wouldn`t do you any good with your dreams of being a SWAT-Medic (search for some threads here,ít`s really hard to become one).

After school I planned to study medicine, but somehow got into EMS first, now I`m thinking moving to Britain to study Paramedic Science.

My recommendation: Inform yourself about the subjects (EMS as well as your possible future degree, may it be Archeology or something else) very thoroughly, try to decide what you really want, weigh up your options - and then just do what you feel most comfortable with.

Just my humble thoughts...

P.S.: I think after a certain amount of time it isn`t possible anymore to edit posts.

Thanks Vorenus!

Yesterday, I pulled a 12 hour shift at the pool where I work, so I had a lot of time to think. Also, the firedepartment came in to do an inspection. One of the firefighters was talking to the manager, leaving the other standing there, doing nothing. He looked kind of bored, so I took the opurtunity to ask him the same question. He said that he hasn't found what you majored in to be as important as that you actually have a degree, and that you should major in your back up plan.

Like I said, I had a lot of time to think, and this what is currently happening in my head;

- I would love to be a SWAT medic. But I would also be very, very content and happy to just be a paramedic.

- I've already put in some time at a community college, and theres no sense in throwing that away, so I'll finish up there and get my AA or AS (Any thoughts on which is preferable? I'd think that an AS might be more desirable, but an AA might show that I'm more well rounded.)

- After I've gotten an Associates degree, I'll be able to decide if I should continue on to get my BA/BS, and then go through the fire academy, or just go straight to North Bend.

- If I do decide to get my BA/BS, I'll probably major in something like Emergency Management or Criminal Justice, and minor in something like English, Spanish, or Archeology.

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll probably keep adding to this thread as I go through the process, and as my thoughts change. Thanks again for all the input, it really does help.

Chris "Stitches" Johnson

• 3 months later...

Hey Stitches,

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. Senior in HS, Lifeguard for 3 years, EMT for almost 2, trying to decide on what path to take with schooling.

I am still deciding what to study, but have narrowed it to 2 majors after talking to several medics, and retired medics who I really trust. I will either be getting my BSN (which is nursing) or Bachelors of Science in Emergency Management. I will of course continue in EMS no matter what.

Both Degrees have plus sides. For instance, nurses get paid way better than medics, but as an RN, you can challenge state exams to become a medic or alot of EMS services hire CC-RNs. A plus side to emergency management is that I would come out of school with my Medic License and a broader degree. I would have a job to start out in right away and a way to move up the line. Also, this would allow me after 2 years to do a 1yr bridge from EMT-P to BSN/RN. From what Ive seen, alot of places are looking for those with higher education (and Ive REALLY been doing alot of research lately on this topic), specifically science or management type degrees.

What I would say is: take the community college credits you have and apply them towards a degree at another school or towards a major that interests you, atleast, they can be used for GEN-EDS.... As for the archaeology, minor in it if you really like it, but dont think it will necessarily help you. With a Bio type major, archaeology would be pretty easy and fit right into your schedule, so you would be doing something you like, while at the same time earning a broader degree that will give you backup plans and advantages.

I hope my rambling helps and didnt come too late!

• Like 1