NREMT-P Practical

I have already taken both the written and pratical tests almost or just at 11 years ago. I have to retake EVERYTHING in order to move back to New Jersey (damn bass ackwards state....)

I can say that I'm not nervous about the written exam. Obviously, with my experience, I would hope I can pass that. I'm more concerned about the pratical stations. Not only do I have experience, but I'm sure I've got bad habits that I must overcome in order to pass those! lol

Any insight into the stations?? Which ones are paramedics required to do in BLS?? The oral stations are new and were implemented the test right after mine. I've seen the checkoff sheets from NREMT website, but what are they looking for?? I can memorize the check off sheets but if anyone can offer a little more, I appreciate it!!!!

Hey scratrat,

I just recently did the NR Paramedic for my move to SC. The skill stations were a joke. I was talking to the proctor for the exam and an examiner friend I know who was there. They informed me on the "QT", that it has been their experience that the "random" basic skill 99 times out of 100 is, wait for it, the KED.

The other skill stations haven't changed, ever. Static Cardiology, Dynamic Cardiology, Adult (ETT and Combitube) airway and pediatric station which is airway and an IO, Trauma assessment, IV and medication administration and 2 Oral Stations. The Oral stations, which weren't hard by any stretch of the imagination, are my nemesis, I got through them all though on the first try. I think, because I haven't checked, all the stations are on Youtube, or so I have been told. You can download the check off sheets from the NR site and review them if you need to, but I shouldn't think you'll need it. Although, they will show you what they are looking for.

Good luck man! (As if you need any)

Jim

Edited by JakeEMTP

I just got my medic so stations are still fresh in my mind. :)

The oral station is where my instructor told me to verbalize everything you can think of. I failed one first try but passed it second try. They aren't hard but I forgot to verbalize. Just make sure to know your trauma and medical assessments for this one. You don't have to go into too much details but make sure you cover all treatments and how you will transport.

As for random basic station for us it was KED, however, Around here (Wisconsin) they also get long boarding a fair amount of the time. Usually its KED, long board, or splinting.

As Jake said above, all the rest of the stations are the same. Overall it wasn't too bad. The check off sheets were my best friend for a while, but I was also doing registry as a new grad. Don't let the "street" habits get in the way of "proper" habits. :)

Good luck and remember, BSI.....Scene Safe!!

I got KED my first go round years ago. I failed it the first time most likely because I was afraid to really tighten it down on the poor girl. But they allowed me to redo it the same day so I did everything the same but tightened that crap out of it and I passed.

I saw the sheets on their website site so I'm reviewing now so I can get ready!! lol.

Scene safety, BSI....recall all other apparatus...this one's dead. I'm guessing that would be an inappropriate response to the trauma session...

I found that memorization of the sheets helped! That is what worked for me. When I went into my oral stations, I wrote my entire assessment out on a sheet of paper they provided me with just to cover my bases. It also put things in order for me when it came time to give the "hospital report".

I also found that they day before the test I refused to touch the sheets. I tend to over prepare though. I am strange like that LOL

Ash

If you want to pass the practical exam and its been a while since you certified, I would recommend taking the time and effort take a trip out to Sacramento and use a place called NCTI. For an extra fee, you can take a practice run the day before through all the stations and correct whatever mistakes you may make. Trust me when I say that given the expense of the NREMT exam and the difficulty in finding the practicals, its worth a flight and a day and night in Sacramento, California. Which is a really nice place, too. Hope that helps.

PS I am not paid nor endorsed by the NCTI of Sacramento, although maybe they should, lol.

Quick side note...if you haven't already done it, make sure you are studying the latest/greatest in the NR skills sheets. They've recently made some changes and if you've not dowloanded them lately, it would be a good idea to do so.

• 1 month later...

If you want to pass the practical exam and its been a while since you certified, I would recommend taking the time and effort take a trip out to Sacramento and use a place called NCTI. For an extra fee, you can take a practice run the day before through all the stations and correct whatever mistakes you may make. Trust me when I say that given the expense of the NREMT exam and the difficulty in finding the practicals, its worth a flight and a day and night in Sacramento, California. Which is a really nice place, too. Hope that helps.

PS I am not paid nor endorsed by the NCTI of Sacramento, although maybe they should, lol.

I would imagine that there are places a lot closer to him where he could run through the skills stations, rather than flying all the way across the country. I just took my practical at NCTI in Roseville and I personally found the review day to be pretty useless as far as tips/tricks went, they seemed to spend more time giving my classmates and I a hard time about being from Oregon, than they did actually instructing us. That being said, some of the instructors were pretty cool and it was nice to run through the skills stations one more time, but there are probably places a lot closer to Florida that will prep him to retake the practical.

For my practical I had bleeding control and shock management as the random BLS station. I imagine the other stations haven't changed a whole lot since you last took it, but definitely look over the skills sheets from the NREMT and make sure you know them. Honestly, as long as you can run through the skills sheets you should be perfectly fine, the only stations that require a little more thought are of course static, dynamic, oral, and trauma. For static and dynamic, make sure you know the current ACLS guidelines by heart and can run through the algorithms confidently. For oral, verbalize everything you can, delegate duties, treat all life threats first, and don't focus so much on nailing down the exact diagnosis, but rather what the general pathology is. If that makes sense? Then for trauma, it's really pretty straight forward, just do a manage life threats, do a RTA, transport and finish everything else up there; keep your on scene time short for trauma. That's the best advice I can give to ya.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: Well, I passed the written exam on 82 questions. I really wish they would tell you the actual "score" though. My wife just took NCLEX for RN last year and it's the same way. You have no way of knowing what your weaknesses were. But at least I can move on now! LOL.

Thanks for the info ORMedic. I have found a YouTube video selection called "Nancy Caroline Paramedic DVD review" if anyone else is needing it. It seems to covers every station. I know what I'm doing after this long, it's just a matter of remembering to verbalize everything to the instructor and remember what they're looking for. I've been doing this long enough to where I never had to speak on calls anymore, my partner and I were a good match and just did what we needed to!! LOL. Guess I can't do that in there!!

I have been a medic since 2002 and I had to retake the NREMT-P written and practical when I started flying in 2007 because Kentucky required it when we flew into their state. I used a few review guides and even bought access to a testing site that was used by our local college. So after I spent almost a grand of my own money and a few sleepness nights of worry I went into the test site on both days and passed everything the first time.

Its all like riding a bike I guess, you just kind of do it all by second nature. I'm sure you will do great with the rest of it and congrats on passing the written portion!!!

I hate that they don't give you a score and show where your weakness lies but luckily the guy that passes by one question is still called a paramedic. That guy is me!!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.