Cali Steady Burn

Our county just picked up a new medic from the Los Angeles area (Mr. Hollywood as we country folks like to call him). We were talking about differences, and he mentioned the emergency lighting was a small thing that he adapting to. Apparently in Cali the color is red for everything (police, fire, EMS), and every emergency vehicle is required to have at least one red "steady burning" light (meaning not flashing).

I thought this was a little weird, but I started paying attention to California reality shows, news, youtube videos, and so on, and I noticed he was right. There's always at least one steady burning red light on the setup.

I have to say that I like the idea of a steady burning light (for tracking purposes). I think they look more professional too. I have since bought a new light bar for my Nissan that is capable of steady burning lights.

I now have wig wag head lights and tail lights, a SuperVisor red/blue setup with two red and blue leds that go steady, Code 3 alternating red grill lights, a 36" amber LED light bar in the back window, and a driver side spotlight that is capable of gelling a solid red (just bought this from an ex CHP officer, really like this product).

Ummm...am I reading this right? You went out and put all these lights in your Nissan? I assume this is your personal vehicle? You did all this based on a guy nicknamed "Mr. Hollywood," You Tube videos and television shows? Bro, you may want to consider taking some time off. When people start putting light bars in their POV's, I think they are taking their hobby or work much too seriously.

Take care,

chbare.

• Like 1

Alright man...I'm calling bullshit now.

Trolling is trolling...

Dwayne

yeah, i suspect that half the fun for this guy.

But the guy is still a whacker.

• Like 1

LS ... I spit coffee on me screen Damn YOU !

ROFLMFAO !

Here I thought packing a magnetic cheezy $30.00 ... so I don't get smoked on the Highway when I come across a wreck was whackerism ?

Isn't their any LAW about this in the USA ?

My baby rotating red beacon is stretching the law here to the very limit, even on an industrial ECALUBMA . I have never been charged for "impersonating" an ambulance a hose monkeys school bus or LEO vehicle, in fact thanked for protecting a scene but this Christmas tree stuff would NEVER be tolerated .. SD would have his nisson towed to impound yard if he ever switched them on even parked at the side of the road .. if moving he would likely be arrested.

Dear ADMIN: PLEASE change forum to "Funny Stuff"

In the US, the amount and types of light you can have on a POV depends on the state. When I was in NY, VACs were only allowed one green light and FFs were allowed one blue light. Just because that is all that was allowed doesn't mean the rules were ever followed. I do not know the rules here in MI but I have seen FFs and tow trucks with red lights. There are no VACs here so it is not an issue.

In Alberta Canada :

Green for vollie FF was allowed here but under very serious legislative review now as a Volly FF smoked a family and killed 2 in an intersection when he was responding to the fire hall, for a grass fire.

BLUE here is strictly verbotten POLICE ONLY.

I so wish that when on scene at say major MVC with extraction that ALL emergency viehles could have a "select" switch for just protect a scene from behind or in "front" all these flashing things make me blind when your working on a patient that is trapped, most times these lights are way overkill.

ps Edit .. whats a VAC ?

Edited by tniuqs

VAC=volunteer ambulance company.

Also, the blue and green lights are courtesy lights. They do not allow you to break the law, ie running red lights, speeding, etc. Yet again, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Thanks .. We too have "laws" permitting running of red lights and over the posted speed limits, the previso being only when safe to do so ... one wreck and the legal domino's fall squarely in the operators lap.

Kind of a hollow promise really.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.