IVC Placement

Timmy

...How do the folks who advocate lower extremity lines feel about introducing a wound into the lower extremeities of diabetics?

Yeah, not a fan. I once got into a pissing match with Fire for wanting to start an EJ on a diabetic that had no thermal regulation. She was unable to speak and spent here entire day buried under several quilts. Her providers were drunks and drug addicts. My argument was that I didn't want to create that wound where it would always be hidden as well as obvious visual evidence of compromised circulation. I thought it better to place it where it would constantly be seen and so given a better chance to be monitored and cared for.

Fire, this was in the Springs where the non transporting fire dept had control of scene and pt until released, disagreed and made 4-5 IV attempts in her legs before finally getting a 20g or some such.

I like the foot and leg veins, but not for diabetics if I can help it. Restricted circulation plus often restricted visibility seems like it would be a bad match. I'm not sure if it actually is, but intuitively it seems so...

Good to have you back USA! I'm excited to see a bunch of our heavy hitters crawling up out of their holes!

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.