I passed the NREMT...and here's how I did it

<pre style="font-size: 9pt;">The results are in. I passed the NREMT-B. As for those who have yet to take the test. I have found a few good tips to set you up for success

.#1. Find a study guide-

Whether you have just finished your EMT class or you are making your first attempt to take the NREMT after having your state certification for a while, I find that it may be in your best interest to find a resource specifically preparing you for the NREMT. Me personally, used my notes from my state refresher and a test prep study guide. The guide that I used was "EMT-Basics Exam Cram Plan" made by Cliffnotes. It is set up with a diagnostic test to find out where your strengths and weaknesses are and provides the chapter and topic of the area that you need improvement. It also contains a study schedule based on how much time you have before the test (i.e. 2 months, 1 month, or 2 weeks). Keep in mind, just because you have a study guide that has EMT plastered all over it, make sure that the guide caters to NREMT and not just a state level. You can find that by the first couple of pages and more than likely, it will state what test it is preparing you for. It may have been a while since you have taken a test and the anxiety may interfere with your best judgment of the correct answer so find one that test your knowledge and find the areas that need more attention.

#2. Memorize, Memorize Memorize-The Practical Skill Sheets-

The first thing that threw me off with practicing the skills is that I couldn't conduct my evaluation the way that I used to after I obtained my state certification. Once you get the hang of the way you evaluate a patient, you don't always verbalize your thoughts and you may have tips and tricks that you have learned from people you work with or other knowledgeable resources that could have made it easier. The NREMT proctors are looking for accuracy, nothing more and nothing less. They are looking at the skill sheet and and a lot of the time they may be looking at the sheet waiting for audible clues to check the block so if you didn't verbalize it, it didn't happen. So help you if you failed to verbalize a critical skill. The best way to conduct your evaluation is to memorize the sheet and follow it to the t. You may be the guru of splinting, and your peers may bow before you by your ability to complete your assessment in record time.....but if you aren't holding proper spinal stabilization, all of that matters as much as a speed boat without its motor. Its useless. You may have your assessment down packed but if you want NREMT, its their house and you play by their rules

.#3. Lastly, Take A Breath, Relax, and Enjoy the Possibility

At the end of the day, the tests don't determine whether you are, or will be a good EMT. The tests are only a method for the National Registry to see that you have met the standards to wear their patch and carry their card. I have always struggled as a test taker and 2nd and 3rd tries on tests are not foreign to me. If you want it come and get it. If at first you don't succeed, try another method of studying. You may be a physical leaner where you need to touch something to absorb the information or a visual learner where you need to see it to learn it. Its not the end of the world. It may pay off in the end. Best of luck to all and I hope this helps.</pre>

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.