Need advice

Typical male answers, as you ignore the blatent discrimination by so many employers. These lifting test are nothing but a way to keep women out of EMS. I will bet anyone 1000 dollars that if we went to this employer and dragged employees from the field that have been there 10 years (male or female), half of them could not pass this test, and I guarantee you 100% of the male managers could not pass it.

So my question to you since you singled out male managers, could you pass it ?

• Like 2

so you can't lift .. well get off MY TRUCK your a safety hazard !

Due to multiple back strains and sprains, as well as arthritic knees, while I intend to maintain my EMT "Certs", I am already off the trucks. 38 years of EMS can do that to a person.

Currently, I can outlift all of the other women and most of the men. This is more of a commentary on the sad shape of a lot of my colleagues than a comment on my fitness.

You mean it isn't because of your EMS paragoddess status, Ma'am?

I often wonder about ongoing fitness, and how it applies to current employees. I watch the firefighters do the fitness testing for job interviews. I have never done it because I don't like smoke and fire. Some of those guys that get turned down are in great shape and some of the guys that are applying the test have bellies bigger than their egos. I think that at least some of it has to do with messing with the new guys regardless of their gender.

Edited by DFIB

I had emergency abdominal surgery a year and a half ago while on DRT deployment in Mississippi. (I hurt myself on the job). I faced the Physical Agility Test to get back. It took me a month 3 times per week to get ready for it. The doc signed off on it without even testing me.

Less than a year later, a supervisor had abdominal surgery and the doc made him do the test. (He passed).

I think the rules about PAT are selectively enforced and only required on hiring and after an injury. I am pretty sure messing with new guys is up there too.

Finally, someone responded to the original question asked, IMHO!

LOL! I know right? Thanks Systemet. I really didn't intend to start a mine is bigger than yours debate. I just want to perform well at my job. I love what I do. I love PT care and being on the front lines of health care and I will do whatever it takes to be able to continue. The reason I want to work for this company is because of their reputation. EMS is my passion, getting paid for it is just a bonus.

LOL!....... I really didn't intend to start a mine is bigger than yours debate.

But now that you have, I think the lady's here should "lay em out" and end this once and for all!

(Perhaps we established that Dwayne is not a perv, but no one ever accused me)

LOL...yeah, there's more than a few rednecks in Colorado, but I actually spent the majority of my life in Central Arizona...so I hear you girl! I may be doing crew change out of Houston? maybe in 12 days (But who's counting). I'm not sure if that very near you or not?

But either way, Texas might not be too bad for a get together assuming you all stop with the friggin' heat and get a little rain..

Anybody up for a get together? Where's cute little Wendy, Matty, Yeti?

Dwayne

Hey, I could probably make it out to Texas. But, uh, northern Texas por favor?

Y'all need to come to Austin for some cowboy culture. Rednecks really know how to have fun I'm tellin ya. :D

Would love to get together for lunch or coffee...and we can talk about everyone else. ha ha ha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.