Need advice

First off, your paramedic was a bitch.

Dwayne

PCP

Ha,Ha, sounds like the paramedic deserved to be puked on!

Agreed .. a puke covered bitch is always looking to blame someone for their mistakes.

Ouch Dwayne .. I like Texas !

Ughh.. corporate?

Despite despising privatized EMS I have some good advice for you.

1) next duty day show up an hour early. Go through the entire ambulance and know it inside and out. Yes your preceptor was a bitch, but the best way to deal with people that are so negative is outshine them in every possible way.

Good luck.

• Like 2

For the record..I've been married nearly 25 years, not a perv, I'm harmless..completely different than having coffee with, say, LS.

.Dwayne

Dwayne, do you think Mateo's super hot cousin would say you aren't a perv? I mean, she was the only gal that came to our EMT City Get together in Orlando, I'm sure she saw those wandering eyes while you were playing pool.

We didn't exactly treat her with kid gloves did we?

But seriously, Dwayne's a super nice guy with the status of No Perv and Lonestar, I've met him. He's completely different than I expected and I'll bet that you would feel the same way if you met him.

Consider Peter Fonda in Easy rider with a scruffy looking beard.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Am I an asshole? I won't deny I have the potential.

EVERYONE that I know, including the one looking back at me from the mirror while I'm brushing my teeth, has the potential to be an asshole on any given day or night. Just remember that there will be days that the guy who always aces things blows it bad, and the habitual screwup does everything to perfection. It's called being human.

I do like the idea of arriving early to go through the ambulance, compartment by compartment, to find where everything is at. Here in NYC, in the FDNY EMS Command, while we might not get a chance to check out our vehicle prior to tour change (previous crew might still be out doing a "late call"), we are supposed to do a checklist verifying that everything the New York State DoH wants us to have on board, is on board, complete to minimum amounts of disposable supplies.You don't have 12 4x4s, just 11, but everything else, some hardass state inspector can fine you, your partner, and the department for the descrepancy. (Yeah, big time exaggeration, but one never knows, this is NYC, after all)

However, doing "Rig Checks" per the state checklist is always a good way to find everything on the ambulance.

I do mention that the way an ambulance is set up at one station, might be set up differently at another, due to the whims of each station's personnel. At least all the ambulances are the same, type 1s, although they will vary over 10 model years, and we are switching from Ford F350s and 450s to some type Dodge with extended (super?) cabs.

• Like 1

I agree...rig checks are essential...especially for me, not only because I'm new but because I am considered overstaff and will be working out of several different stations until I get an assignment. It's amazing how diverse these stations are, including their rigs. Everything from the complete cluster**** on the vambulance, to a fairly organized box truck, to the awesome 'sprinter' ambulance at my last station that had labels on every cabinet. I hope I work out of this last station a lot. Very organized and professional. Made all the difference.

• Like 1

Dwayne, do you think Mateo's super hot cousin would say you aren't a perv? I mean, she was the only gal that came to our EMT City Get together in Orlando, I'm sure she saw those wandering eyes while you were playing pool.

We didn't exactly treat her with kid gloves did we?

But seriously, Dwayne's a super nice guy with the status of No Perv and Lonestar, I've met him. He's completely different than I expected and I'll bet that you would feel the same way if you met him.

Consider Peter Fonda in Easy rider with a scruffy looking beard.

Yeah man, that trip was a lot of fun. And my wanderin' eyes aren't completely my fault..she wore that adorable little skirt...Plus she's cute as a button and more than capable of handling her own..

We really need to try and plan another get together. That was fun as hell...

Dwayne

Y'all need to come to Austin for some cowboy culture. Rednecks really know how to have fun I'm tellin ya. :D

LOL...yeah, there's more than a few rednecks in Colorado, but I actually spent the majority of my life in Central Arizona...so I hear you girl! I may be doing crew change out of Houston? maybe in 12 days (But who's counting). I'm not sure if that very near you or not?

But either way, Texas might not be too bad for a get together assuming you all stop with the friggin' heat and get a little rain..

Anybody up for a get together? Where's cute little Wendy, Matty, Yeti?

Dwayne

• 2 weeks later...

Houston is about 2 hrs from me....tell me about the heat....the a/c went out at the station yesterday and it was 90 degrees inside...ready for a break for sure, would love some rain. The good thing about being here tho is soon we will have 9 mos of great weather.

I have question for y'all. Why are so many of these nurses so freaking rude. Sometimes you have to practically beg to get your paperwork signed....they have this ..." I'll get to you when I'm damn ready" thing going on...its ridiculous. Anyone else have this problem?

Hey EMTCOWGIRL welcome to the city! Hopefully we will see you around a lot. I have a piece of info for you and a piece of advice.

First let me say that I have been an EMT for the last 12 years....9 as a Basic and the last almost 3 as a Critical Care. As much experience I have had I STILL get nervous on some calls....especially if it's something I haven't seen in awhile and/or I am the only tech on the bus (happens sometime in my vollie FD). I am not 100% confident in my ALS skills and since I know this I strive to just do the best I can and work with it.

My advice to you is to ask questions! Even if you think it is the stupidest question in the world or think you should already know it, ASK. I tell that to all the kids at the fire house when they start out. Granted I have gotten some rather bizarre questions in the past. Some have made me go "huh?" and some have made me laugh, but they have always either taught me something or taught a rookie something. You should always be willing to learn. I have learned new things from EMT students and they have learned new things from me.

I wish you good luck and go kick that bitchy medic in the ass when you get a chance....sounds like she needs to be knocked down a few pegs! :whistle:

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.