Roseanne Barr for Prezzzzz

Happiness

Well just thought I would post this and see where this discussion could go. I have never really gotten into the politics in the US or Canada (but yes I do vote). So here is a good question? Do you think it should be okay for someone basically off the streets have the ability to run for President or Prime minister? Or do you think that you need to be a lawyer and go to school for political science etc in order to run for office........................

http://theclicker.today.com/_news/2011/08/05/7265828-roseannes-totally-serious-about-presidential-run

Concidering the bafoons we have as elected officials now are supposedly highley educated and some have law backgrounds and don't sem to be doing any good I say why not!

Have the average Joe run for office why not. I see normal everyday people be able to balance check books, keep their family on a budget, weather storms and thrive. Just like that movie where the president was gravely ill and they grab a shop owner to replace him so noone would know and he actually did some good because he was a good person and a good business man.

I think we should give it a shot. Can't be any worse then the way its done now.

Ug, I think you're referring to the movie "Dave". He was a presidential lookalike, who ran an employment agency, doing store openings and the like AS a presidential lookalike for additional cash flow.

Yeah, not so much.

Plus, how is Rosanne any more of a 'common man' than any of the politicians? She's rich and lives a completely separate kind of life from the masses. How is she different and/or common?

Though it's nice to believe that any 'good guy' could do a better job in Washington, politics is actually a massive, corrupt, 'good ol' boy' machine. You might as well ask can the common man really do what Rambo does because 'he has a good heart.'

Politics is about deals, and kickbacks, and dishonesty. What 'good' man do you know that has the tools to play on that playground?

As well, America ran out and elected the last man that they thought was a 'good guy' for president. How's that working out?

The fantasy is awesome, the reality is that our government, and likely the governments of most countries is barely distinguishable from traditional organized crime...the common man just can't compete.

Dwayne

Though it's nice to believe that any 'good guy' could do a better job in Washington, politics is actually a massive, corrupt, 'good ol' boy' machine. You might as well ask can the common man really do what Rambo does because 'he has a good heart.'

Politics is about deals, and kickbacks, and dishonesty. What 'good' man do you know that has the tools to play on that playground?

The fantasy is awesome, the reality is that our government, and likely the governments of most countries is barely distinguishable from traditional organized crime...the common man just can't compete.

If you work in a polictial job, or a job ran by a political office, its not about who works their ass off, its about who has the better connections. Sucks. When I look at everyone hired before me, and after me, I wonder how I got a job not knowing a sole here when I applied.

If you work in a polictial job, or a job ran by a political office, its not about who works their ass off, its about who has the better connections. Sucks. When I look at everyone hired before me, and after me, I wonder how I got a job not knowing a sole here when I applied.

"Favors?"

Nope, it will never happen. No way can a common man like me or anyone I know raise any amount of money near what is required to get the nomination.

It's hard enough to get into city politics unless you know someone who will endorse you.

There is no-one out there in the current slate of political candidates that is anywhere worht the vote right now.

Unless we make some drastic changes I don't see a change in the direction of the country so maybe if we reach rock bottom as a country a common man might actually do pretty well.

who knows.

Perhaps not "common" folks, but Congressmen Sunny Bono, Al Franken, the guy used to play "Gofer" Smith on Love boat, Mayor Clint Eastwood, Governor Jessie ("The Body") Ventura, and Bonzo the Chimp's "Father", President Ronald Reagan/

Perhaps not "common" folks, but Congressmen Sunny Bono, Al Franken, the guy used to play "Gofer" Smith on Love boat, Mayor Clint Eastwood, Governor Jessie ("The Body") Ventura, and Bonzo the Chimp's "Father", President Ronald Reagan/

Holy shit...great point, and good politicians all, in my opinion.

I stand corrected.

Dwayne