worst week

PCP

Yes I did question myself on both calls and talked to both my partners who have both been working in the EMS field for 20 years each. They both said we did everything possible for the pt. The poor lady had a chance if the grandson had called for an ambulance when she said was experiencing crushing chest pain. My partner at the mine site who also my boss and just happened to be at the site that day said he felt comfortable leaving me with the pt. and transporting him to the hospital in my care as at the time we did not know what was wrong with the pt. and do to training he felt I was able to deal with what ever was happening with this pt. I am the only first aid attendant who is a Primary Care Paramedic that works for him and that is why he felt comfortable letting me be the one to transport this patient to town and if it was one of the other attendants who only had their OFA level 3 ticket he would have taken over the call and transported the patient. My boss mentioned to me whan I got back to the mine site he was impressed by me because I had the thinking to cut the patient's coveralls off and expose his entire body and that he would probably not have done that. Because I exposed my patient I was able to pick up the distension of his abdomen which he would have not of picked up on because he said he probably would have just exposed the abdomen at first then covered him back up. He thanked me for cutting the coveralls off and doing a full assessment like I did as he learned from me that day and it goes to show that even though he has been a paramedic for 20 years he can still learn from the jr paramedics.

Thank you for all your support in this post to all of you. I have learned from both calls and I know that having a pt. die in your care is part of the job. I can say one thing for sure is after dealing with both calls that I have a better understanding of being able to tell the difference between pt that are really sick and those ones that are not as sick.

I am still green and have lots to learn and always will learn from each and every call I do and hopefully will never stop learning!

I am ready for my next patient!

do you think it likely that someone not qualified to do a 12 lead with todays technology would like have been taught that?

Not likely. The posting just gave me the impression that there is someone who had a training on 3-lead ECG (and probably access to such a model) but not on 12-lead. In fact I just wondered if the patient was hung to any form of cardiac monitoring other than SpO2.

I'm not talking about moving electrodes around, but it's quite possible to see infarct signs in a 3-lead ECG (did it all the time when we only had those LP5 or LP10 or even older models). Not as in a 12-lead, though.

Hell...I even remember the times not having any ECG as standard equipment on board, just wondered that this may be the case even nowadays in modern industry settings.

always will learn from each and every call I do and hopefully will never stop learning!

I am ready for my next patient!

Thumbs up! That remembers me of myself meeting reality...(that feeling doesn't really stop, though). :)

You can absolutely move the leads of a 3 ld and get a reasonable result. Back before we had 12 lds we would use the LP 10 and use modified chest leads, MCL 1-6 and label them as such. You would end up with 6 feet of paper, but it worked in a pinch. Now, if you have no idea how to read a 12 ld or use MCL's, then I guess you are out of luck. We rarely did it with the LP 5, but that was a long time ago.

whats a clamshell ?

Its a BC thing, like a patient on a half shell only no oysters.

Edited by tniuqs

Its a BC thing, like a patient on a half shell only no oysters.

what about a hero in a half shell?

Turtlepower!

• Like 1

We all have rough days....trust me....you did what you could. Next case will be better. Be safe!