KED and pregnancy...

people use KEDS? :confused:

Yeah, competent operators do, obviously something you lack :rolleyes:

Seriously, how many negative points do you need before they get rid of you and your worthless opinions?

Speaking of useless things. Why are you still here? When you make a reply, you should ask yourself if it contributes to the discussion. If you can't answer that with an affirmative response, perhaps you should keep it to yourself?

touche

I doubt an OBGYN could provide an answer to a question about emergency care in an MVA. Not that one couldn't, just I severely, highly, doubt it.

Not specifically MVA, but they should at least have an educated opinion regardig pressure on the abdoman by the belts, say from a KED?

Edited by BushyFromOz

A KED is only to be used on a stable patient not requiring rapid extrication. That should be considered before "is my patient pregnant."

I don't see where pregnancy would be an issue. If the situation warranted it, I would use a KED on that patient. Having the patient lying supine is an issue, but you will most likely be placing this patient on a board once they are out of the vehicle, and just put a blanket or pillow under the one side of the board so they are lying left lateral recumbant.

I think practitioners who have not had a lot of experience or exposure to pregnant women tend to think of pregnancy as an illness or a disease, something to be worried about right away, when, unless there are signs and symptoms to tell us there is a problem, we shouldn't make that our first priority.

I'm not saying there aren't special considerations when dealing with pregnant patients... but remember that we also have special considerations for patients with physical disabilities, mental illness, head injuries, allergies... any number of things. Take a deep breath, remember what the chief complaint is, do your full assessment and history, complete your differential diagnosis, and figure out the best treatment.

• Like 2

I think practitioners who have not had a lot of experience or exposure to pregnant women tend to think of pregnancy as an illness or a disease, something to be worried about right away, when, unless there are signs and symptoms to tell us there is a problem, we shouldn't make that our first priority.

A lot of pregnant women treat pregnancy as an illness or disease :D

A KED is only to be used on a stable patient not requiring rapid extrication. That should be considered before "is my patient pregnant."

I don't see where pregnancy would be an issue. If the situation warranted it, I would use a KED on that patient. Having the patient lying supine is an issue, but you will most likely be placing this patient on a board once they are out of the vehicle, and just put a blanket or pillow under the one side of the board so they are lying left lateral recumbant.

I'm not saying there aren't special considerations when dealing with pregnant patients... but remember that we also have special considerations for patients with physical disabilities, mental illness, head injuries, allergies... any number of things. Take a deep breath, remember what the chief complaint is, do your full assessment and history, complete your differential diagnosis, and figure out the best treatment.

Excellent response Annie!! +1

I feel the same way, what is the CC? Is this a rapid extrication or is my patient stable enough? S&S of an issue with the baby?

When all else fails.... Online Medical Control!!

I have delt with a few patients with a baby on board and didn't have issues with them. Yes special considerations were taken (ie left latral recumbant) but beyond that the human body is amazingly adapted to protect the child inutero. Baring a major trauma to the abdomen or pelvic region I wouldn't worry.

Now if there is signs of distress (water breaks, blood, severe pain, ect) then Med Control should be contacted and advised. Then roll the sleves up and get busy :devilish:

I put the question to "Joe", at the FDNY EMS Command Academy, and he responded as follows:

Here ya go vest type devices like the ked or idea are to be used on all stable patients who complain or neck or back pn secondary to trauma who are found in the seated position. For the pregnant female in late stage pregnancy if birth is imminant do not cross the leg straps. If supine hypotention occurs roll the immobalized person slightly to the left to alllow blood flow to return from compression of the inferior vena cava. The only contraindication for these devices is the patient is unstable uncon or its ok not to use it to get to someone who is unstable. In these situation rapid extrication proceedures should be used. Wwwwweeewwww. Hope that's good enough. Keep in touch brother. Joe

Joe does have somewhat the flair for the dramatic, and more so of the comedic.

Also, before we get into trouble, this is as per the New York State and FDNY protocols, your county/parrish/state/country's protocols might be different.

Just realized, should have attached the E-Mail I sent Joe in the first place. FDNY EMS members will probably recognize "Crazy Joe", from his wording.

Joe: A question was raised, on the "EMT City" website (EMTCity.com) concerning use of a KEDS or IDEA on a pregnant woman. Per the scenario, she fits in the straps. Call type is "TRAUMA".

Please refresh my memory as to indications and contra-indications for use of the devices in situations like that?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.