KED and pregnancy...

No scenario that goes along with this...

Would you apply a KED to woman whos pregnant, but the device still fits around? I would say no, but I wanted to see what the masses say. I can't find any literature on it at all.

Well, I just put all of our shit back on a new unit.. We have three KED's, varied colors, and one KODE 1; and the instructions say you can use them on pregnant women. I suppose you could pick and choose how to strap them to the device, as the case may apply.

• Like 1

Based on the instructions that come with the device, yes. I can't think of a reason not. I'm curious though where your thinking was that lead to this.

I overheard a conversation about it. I didn't get a chance to partcitipate, but while thinking about it, I realized I didn't know the true answer. I googled it, but the only thing I can find is "Can be used for multiple patient sizes, including children and pregnant women." I was hoping for more of an answer than that.

Bushy: I don't know much about the anatomy of pregnancy, I guess my worry would be any pressure on the abomen and uterus with the tightness of the straps. I know theres a substainal cushion around the fetus and such. Granted, the KED sees such little use, I don't see it being a true life concern I would come across.

Edited by brentoli

Bushy: I don't know much about the anatomy of pregnancy, I guess my worry would be any pressure on the abomen and uterus with the tightness of the straps.

Yeah, fair enough, i dont really have an asnwer other than a "what i'd do" response.

Funny thing about the KED. guys pull the those straps so damn tight they almost cut patients in half with them, obstruct their chest movement etc. The thing basically splint the head an neck by using your thorax ans an anchor point, and i reckon you can do that without ratcheting them up to the point of making them suffocate or compressing the uterus, so yeah, ferno says its ok and i reckon we have the smarts to use it appropriately to the patients situation.

Having said that, if they are well nd truly pregnant we are going to have issues laying them flat on their back anyway (gravid uterus etc) so im not really sure theres a hard answer.

Wheres an obtetrician when we need one?

I doubt an OBGYN could provide an answer to a question about emergency care in an MVA. Not that one couldn't, just I severely, highly, doubt it. Being a rural provider in a location that A LOT of people from all over the east vacation at. A resort area of sorts, resort as in the 19th century definition. Just a place rich people go to relax, anyhoo, we have a lot of doctors that end up offering their expertise. I use expertise very lightly. Had a Johns Hopkins Trauma Surgeon on a trail rescue in an area state park. Ended up telling her that if she wanted to treat the patient, she'd either have to hike out and do it when we removed the patient; or find her own rescue team. Just can't slow down and be picky when you have a two hour walk under normal circumstances. We have ER docs, perhaps one of them can chime in?

Apply it, use it to move the patient onto a spine board, and avoid handling it in a manner which causes pressure for longer periods of time on the abdomen. You have to weigh the alternatives. Extended extrication time, if you don't use it, or further injury. I see them used more with younger crew members. You can either play it old school, or do it what may or may not be considered more proper. It all depends on the situation and extent of injury. If you would consider using a binder device for pelvic injuries, why not use the KED.

people use KEDS? :confused:

Speaking of useless things. Why are you still here? When you make a reply, you should ask yourself if it contributes to the discussion. If you can't answer that with an affirmative response, perhaps you should keep it to yourself?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.